Gay Marriage | Gay Rights | Marie Osmond | Mormon | News

Marie Osmond on Gay Rights and Her Lesbian Daughter

Marieosmond

Yesterday, in an interview with KOST 103.5 Los Angeles, Marie Osmond spoke out about her lesbian daughter Jessica and her views on gay rights.

Said Osmond: "You know, I think each of us has the right to choose who makes that medical decision for us, I think everybody should have the right to share homes and finances with somebody that they care about. You know on those types of things I'm very supportive. When it comes to marriage, ... I think that civil rights need to be for all. When you start mixing religion into that and beliefs, you know, I do believe in the Bible. My daughter understands my beliefs. And, and, uh, you know, God said to be married and be productive with your children and, and, you know, replenish the earth or whatever. She understands those things. My daughter is sharp. And we have a great relationship and I think she would tell you that."

Listen to the interview, AFTER THE JUMP...

(via perez)

Comments

1. She came out in support of gay marriage yet there are commenters on here still calling her obscene words and getting on her for her background...

Uh yeah - she was raised in a religious household for years and years. Duh. That does not change over night. Still, she is coming around, which is commendable.

If gay guys would stop calling women the c word incessantly, we would win over a lot more hearts and minds.

I like Marie. She is corny but cool. She is who she is.

Posted by: Andy | May 5, 2009 3:21:00 PM

2. Because I had a girl crush on marie when I was a kid and because I'm feeling gracious today what with the Maine decision and all I'm going to cut her some slack.

Give her time. when I was in my 20's my parents were still trying to get their heads around it. The lady is no poster child for the idyllic LDS life. She's had her share of struggles as well hopefully that help her wrap her head around what it means to be human.

Posted by: cmh | May 5, 2009 3:37:56 PM

3. I think what she is trying to say, once you get past the "uhs" and the "ums" is what that she believes same-sex couples should be allowed a civil ceremony- which is pretty awesome, coming from a Mormom.

Posted by: Gordon | May 5, 2009 3:47:31 PM

4. "Identical position to Barack Obama and Meg Whitman."

Don't forget same a Hilary Clinton.

Posted by: Silvian | May 5, 2009 4:15:02 PM

5. It really is hard to tell from that statement where she stands. I'll give her the benefit of the doubt and say I see alot of love and acceptance for her daughter in it (yaaa) but she could do a better job clearing things up. It would be wonderful if she could just allow herself to go all the way and give and feel honest support. She seems unsure of how she feels, or at least she's hedging on admitting it.

Posted by: JerseyJersey | May 5, 2009 4:52:14 PM

6. Please, before criticizing, remember two things: (1) this statement printed above is PART of an over two minute discussion of the topic. Listen and you'll get the point - she rejects right from the start that this is a "sensitive topic" and talks about how proud she is of her daughter and what a "great woman" she is. (2) Despite her suggestion that it's not difficult to talk about, it must be. Many in her own faith (though clearly not all) don't agree, and she's risking a lot of fans with these statements. Let's give her the credit she deserves - this was really brave, I think.

Posted by: Christine | May 5, 2009 4:56:39 PM

7. What's more important, Marie? The civil rights and full citizenship of your child, or not pissing off your middle-aged cornball
    fans who'll pay to see you in Reno, NV or Branson, MO? I think we know the answer.

Posted by: Henriette | May 5, 2009 5:23:17 PM

8. RE: Henriette - Are you suggesting that Marie followed the views of "middle-aged cornball" fans? Last I checked, older Americans generally haven't shown themselves to be in favor of civil unions and it doesn't seem that the majority would openly discuss their lesbian daughter. Marie probably alienated a lot of her Mormon base with those comments. And, btw, Donny & Marie have a two year contract in Las Vegas; they're one of the top acts there, judging by attendance and ticket revenue. I'm pretty sure everyone there isn't elderly. I don't understand your hostility to a woman who is obviously accepting her daughter and trying to be fair, even in the face of a lifetime of opposite teachings.

Posted by: Jamie | May 5, 2009 6:15:38 PM

9. Don't jump all over Marie. She's trying her best with a subject she's uncomfortable with. Don't forget how she was raised. Let's wish her and her daughter all the best.

Posted by: JT | May 5, 2009 6:18:21 PM

10. There is a recent interview on public radio (Fresh Air? All Things considered?) where the interviewer spent maybe 5 minutes with Marie—I was completely won over in that time. She is obviously speaking between the lines, and has a liberal viewpoint (I think she indicated the same). The best is that she just couldn't stop laughing—this gave the impression that she simply considered life as being just absurd, and too short to not accept with open arms everything it has to offer. Or she was high. But I liked her and thought that this would be a fun person to spend an evening with. So there.

Posted by: Hello | May 5, 2009 6:22:40 PM

11. i'm not gonna be too quick to rush & judge her here

parents of glbt's have their own journey to go on

i'm glad she can at least talk about it (take note Dick Cheney)

Posted by: steve | May 5, 2009 6:24:47 PM

12. Oh, and as for her daughter, for those who can't control their aesthetic whims, what do YOU look like?
    I hope her daughter has a really nice girlfriend who treats her well. This maybe more than you have.

Posted by: Hello | May 5, 2009 6:26:10 PM

13. Her answer was excellent coming from a Mormon. I don`t understand some of these negative comments on here.
    She says that everyone, including her gay daughter, deserve to have civil rights no matter what religious ways Marie chooses for herself.
    She sounds like she gets the fact that her own religion should never be made the law for anyone else. She even makes her comment in an open enough way that it does not in any way suggest that her daughter`s marriage would fulfill God`s plan less than a heterosexual`s marriage.
    She was about as gay friendly as a Mormon can be without being excommunicated.
    Bravo, Marie!

Posted by: GregV | May 5, 2009 8:04:38 PM

14. This is incredibly progressive, when you consider where she's coming from. And it indicates that she's evolved to this point, meaning she may evolve further. Good for her and good for her daughter. Not all of us have PFLAG parents, but loving ones are a good start.

Posted by: Jay | May 5, 2009 9:18:29 PM

15. What a bunch of pinheads here, giving Marie a pass because of "where she comes from." I recall John Edwards when he was running for president saying he's "not there yet" about real, civil, 100% legal marriage for same-sex couples, because of his upbringing, church, and Southern roots. Just look at him now, kids. I am always very wary of people who hide behind the skirt of their upbringing, church, you name it. The very notion of someone being denied full citizenship being in line with Marie Osmond's concept of God is nothing less than laughable in 2009. There are some people on this thread who understood that Marie was talking between the lines and engaging in double-talk so that fair-minded people could have one take, but the intolerant and hateful could parse out what they wanted to hear also. If the Osmond family weren't such a non-entity, I would care, but now this fake-tittied California drag queen- I mean beauty queen- she's the hot ticket now, making a career out of religion and ignorance. Think she'll never get anywhere? Reminder: That's how Sarah Palin got started.

Posted by: Henriette | May 5, 2009 9:44:25 PM

16. Henriette, she did NOT say, like John Edwatds did on marriage equality, that sh`s "not there yet." In fact she said that she is already "there," as it were. She did NOT say that anyone should be "denied full citizenship," because of her religion, in fact she said exactly the opposite.
    She brushed aside any suggestion that this was a difficult issue to discuss and when asked about mareriage said that gay people deserve full civil rights.
    What more could you want?

Posted by: GregV | May 5, 2009 10:44:19 PM

17. Folks, Marie rocks. She was not very articulate, and yeah, she is watching what she says, but she came out AGAINST Prop 8 before the election.

Folks, we're fighting for civil marriage rights. Marie supports that. Isn't that what we want? Aren't we making a distinction bet. civil and religious marriage?

And Donny is a tool.

And boys, the C word must go. Makes YOU look bad.

Posted by: Natalie Davis | May 5, 2009 11:45:01 PM

18. Greg, I am but one of several commenters who think Marie is hedging/vascillating. My take, especially when she speaks of "medical decisions and finances," this is almost always the talking points of advocates of civil unions/domestic partnerships. Marie drops some sound bytes, but in such a disjointed manner that you (or more importantly, her fans) cannot actually quote her as saying, "I support my daughter's right to marry a woman," or "Marriage for everyone is a civil right."
    She also says things that give me, and likely others, the impression that we all have the right to choose to be intolerant. No, we don't, not if it deprives others of their civil rights, or violates our constitution.

Posted by: Henriette | May 6, 2009 1:57:07 AM

19. didnt even know her daughter was gay! x

Posted by: Sally | May 6, 2009 3:21:45 AM

20. I think she is generally being supportive, so we should cut her a break. I think it's pretty enlightened to say "my daughter understands my beliefs" and maybe doesn't agree.

Posted by: rayy | May 6, 2009 8:29:23 AM

21. It's clear from the quote that where Marie flounders isn't in articulating support for her lesbian daughter, but in giving the "but the Bible says" argument.

Telling. Really the problem is that religious people do not have leaders who understand, articulate, or support the separation of church and state. It's not a difficult concept. But because these religious leaders refuse to accept that their religious beliefs should only apply to THEM, most people who sit in their churches are deprived of language that states what is reasonable.

And what is reasonable? Simply this: The law should treat everyone equally on marriage. Religion doesn't have to.

What the religious leaders really fear is that when the law starts treating gay people equally, their teaching about homosexuality will be shown as fraudelent and poorly thought out; a result of ancient prejudice. This is an understandable fear. But hey, if what religion teaches is not true, then why are they teaching it?

Posted by: Andrew K | May 6, 2009 10:47:26 AM

22. You raised good points, Andrew, especially about "ancient prejudice." But here's the glitch: if you believe men wrote the Bible, you can understand that point. If you believe God wrote the bible, and a lot of rubes do, then there's no point even having an adult discussion with them, much less a debate.

Posted by: Henriette | May 6, 2009 7:02:12 PM

23. Maybe you people are just bitter and jealous because she has beliefs AND is tolerant.

Most of you seem intolerant and self-righteous.

Posted by: Lola | May 22, 2009 8:53:34 AM

24. I know I am jumping in REALLY LATE on this discussion, but wow...if you aren't just the biggest bunch of bitches I have ever seen. Seriously...what does Marie Osmond owe YOU? Oh yeah, NOTTA!! So she comes out and supports gay marriage on your behalf and you still have the audacity to nail her to the stake and crucify her. Shame on you! I think it's quite obvious which side of the fence the hypocrits are sitting on. YOU ARE ALL A BUNCH OF CUNTS!!

Posted by: glamorousvivica | Mar 8, 2010 2:01:48 AM

25. She is so phoney She won't give a straight ansewer.I myselfe beleve you are born gay not turn into a gay person.And if you know your child is you will know the the person. My daughter never had to come out to me to tell me she is gay I always knew.I love her with all my heart.I support her always have.I beleve if parent show love and support.We won;t have so many suicides.Listen up people love them

Posted by: josie | Nov 11, 2010 4:27:11 PM