Obama to Face Gay Protest at DNC Beverly Hills Fundraiser Tonight

President Obama, the alleged "fierce advocate" for LGBT rights, is scheduled to attend a Democratic Party fundraiser at the Beverly Hilton tonight, one day after White House spokesman Robert Gibbs refused to offer any official response to the Supreme Court's decision to uphold Proposition 8 in California.

ObamabeverlyhiltonA Courage Campaign-organized demonstration is scheduled to take place in front of the Beverly Hilton this evening. The group writes: "Let's take this opportunity, just one day after the CA Supreme Court
makes its decision on Proposition 8, to show our President our support
for his daring promise to our community and to highlight the growing
movement towards FULL FEDERAL EQUALITY."

Attending the demonstration will be recently discharged (under 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell') Lt. Dan Choi and other LGBT military servicemembers: "They will ask for response from President Obama to the letter signed by
136,000 people asking the president not to fire Lt. Choi by ending DADT."

How long can President Obama remain mute on his promises to the LGBT voters who elected him?

Comments

1. Matt says

That’s an easy question to answer. Until his re-election comes and he needs our vote again.

2. Nick says

Mr. Obama will probably not even see the demonstrators. He will enter via a secured entrance and his SUV will be given a clear shot to deliver him safely into the event and out. He will also not acknowledge the
    good folks out front –or if he does it will be patronizing as per usual. He does not care-never has -never will.

3. alex in boston says

If ever a time was right for protesting and showing up this seems to be it!! i would hope everyone who can will show up and everyone bring a friend or 2

4. alex in boston says

The Money tap from the GLBTT community should be TURNED OFF to Any Politician PERIOD!! Until such time as the DEMS and the PRESIDENT begin acting on our RIGHTS! From this day forth not one penny should see any fundraisers or events with any DEM POLITICIAN!! It was our vote and our money that propelled this man into the WH!!!! HIT THEM WHERE IT WILL HURT right in the pocketbook!!

5. AERES says

How many people in our community abandoned her candidacy because she was perceived as being too incrementalist?

How many people in our community advocated for Obama on grounds that he was the stronger champion of LGBT issues?

Funny that Obama has abandoned all his campaign pandering and adopted essentially the same positions Hillary was honest and up front about from the start.

Fool me once…

6. ichabod says

I hope the media gives this a lot of coverage (whatever Obama does). It seems obvious we’re not going to get anything out of the man until he is pressured to take action. I still hope he’ll do an about-face, but he really is screwing this up at every turn. Who the Hell is advising him on this stuff anyway? Any fool could see how bad this all looks…

7. seattle mike says

We didn’t “elect him” any more than any other group that voted for him. Yes, I’m disappointed that he hasn’t acted yet, but I firmly believe he’s going to end up being the best president so far on GLBT issues. We need to keep up the pressure by lobbying ALL of our elected representatives to make the changes that we want.

8. Leland Frances says

Bravo for the idea of the demonstration itself and I hope there are numbers big enough to disrupt the event enough to momentarily drown out his shameful silence.

But organizers are NOT helping force him back on course — and FORCE him IS the indisputably correct verb choice — by continuing to simultaneously throw verbal valentines at him which 1. he doesn’t give a flying fuck about [gay money, YES, pretty words, no], and 2., reinforces to mainstream media and those few remaining naive gays that he STILL deserves love and kisses for ONLY making promises.

What is “daring” about promises that 1. address only fundamental rights [versus promising a Mercedes in every gay garage], and 2. were essentially the same promises of every other 2008 Democratic primary candidate, and most in 2004? Yes, he turned up the volume a little bit, and besotten gay media falsely cranked it up to a roar by, for instance, consistently misreporting that he talked about “gay RIGHTS” in this speech and that when he usually only implied tolerance for gays [“not blaming”]. But “daring”? My flabby old ass!

I saw another announcement about tonight’s demo [protest?] that still referred to him along the lines of “the best president for LGBT rights in history.” Uh, no. The case could be made that he was the NOMINATED CANDIDATE for president that made the most PROMISES to LGBTs [“nominated” qualifier because Dennis Kucinich beat him everywhere but the polls over marriage equality].

But PRESIDENT? Not yet, kids. He might be eventually, but right now all we really have is a stack of bounced checks.

9. GBlad says

THIS is the protest people should be attending. It doesn’t matter whether Obama sees the protests; if they get enough attention from the media, and he gets embarrassed, then they will have accomplished something.

10. soulbrotha says

Aeres, as I recall it, Obama and Clinton shared the same LGBT views during their campaign. So I don’t see how you can claim that people voted for Obama as the stronger supporter. He did not “adopt” the same positions as Hillary. Their positions were identical from the start.

11. Stew says

AERES, you need to know the facts before you comment. Whatever Clinton wants to do at the State Department has to be okayed by Obama. You act as if she is doing this alone or that she would be your savior. She isn’t acting without Obama’s okay and how do you know how much better she would be as president on gay issues. Her husband sure threw us under the bus and it only got worse under Bush. But everyone seems to forget that Obama now has to clean up all that mess.

12. Joseph says

I don’t really get what you are expecting from Obama? Are you expecting him to suddenly drop his own personal preference for civil unions – something he reiterated numerous of times on the campaign trail – to do what exactly? Intervene in a state issue? If you believe that then boy, you really are idealists. Why not focus your energy on passing a new proposition recognizing gay marriage instead of trying expect that Obama’s priority is going to be on the issues of one state. Sure he could say that he is disappointed by the outcome – but what good will it do? His words isn’t going to magically bring back gay marriage in California again is it?

13. Q says

Aeres, if Hillary is so different from Obama and is a “champion” of gay rights, then how come we don’t hear of more clashes between them about his inaction? How come she is not marching and making public speeches denouncing the California Supreme Court’s decision?
    And please don’t tell me she’s too busy with other things because Obama has got 50 million more things on his plate and no one is cutting him any slack.

14. Jimmyboyo says

aeres

Yes Hillary should be praised for what she is doing over at state

BUT she isn’t and can’t do what she is doing without Obama saying Ok . She is his employee

She also during the primaries never supported gay marriage just like Obama

I’m not trying to make excuses for Obama but putting Hillary on a pedestal is not an accurate view of reality

15. Leland Frances says

PS: Here’s a MAJOR difference between primary candidates Obama and Hillary…and between him and all the other Dem candidates for that matter.

NONE but he, as I recall, went so often and so far out of his way to INSERT religion into the subject of marriage equality. “I’m a Christian…” “God is in the mix….” etc., etc.

There’s a HUGE difference between saying “I believe marriage is between a man and a woman” and “I believe marriage is between a man and a woman because God said so.”

Thus the Yes on H8TERS were able to use a recording of his “God is in the mix” nonsense in robocalls to millions of California voters….a tactic that would have erased the benefit of his limp dick opposing “letter” even if the NO peeps had publicized it more.

NO MATTER HOW anyone tries to parse it Obama gave aid and comfort to our most rabid enemies in a way that Hillary nor any other Dems did.

16. says

Republican or Democrat, either way we get screwed.

Obama’s not getting another dime out of me–keep sending those requests for cash, buddy. I’ll just keep ignoring them.

17. Q says

Oh Leland, please! If he had not said anything pertaining to God or Christianity, the robocalls could have simply quoted him saying “I believe that marriage is between a man and a woman” with the message “See? Even Obama agrees with us!” We all know that sentiment is born of religion. What NON-religious person would make that statement? Stop over-reaching!

18. Chitown Kev says

Leland,

Yes, Obama always included that qualification. But you can also read that as the sort of hair-splitting that NY Senate Majority leader Malcolm Smith has done and he supports marriage equality.

At least, that’s how I’ve always read Obama’s statements.

I wish some reporter would pin him down and ask him the same quetion based on the essential Constitutional question (being as Obama is a constitutional lawyer) as opposed to his “Gawd in the Mix.”

And yes, we need to be protesting Obama and the Dems. They are not going to simply give us equality. We have to MAKE the Dems draft and sign LGBT legislation.

19. Colorado Springs says

Obama is no more a friend of the gays community than George Bush was.

Why were people so hypnotized by the words “change” and “hope”?

20. says

Obama is no more a friend of the gays community than George Bush was.

Why were people so hypnotized by the words “change” and “hope”?

Posted by: Colorado Springs

That’s going a bit over the top. Bush repeatedly called for the passage of the Federal Marriage Amendment, Obama opposed it. I agree that Obama is overdue to take action on behalf of the GLBT community, but let’s not get carried away in hyperbole.

In any event, there’s not much Obama can do about marriage, even if he switches his position – which he’s not likely to do. He needs to move on those items that can be passed on the Federal level: Hate Crimes, ENDA, and ending DADT.

21. Nique TaMere says

So the activists are protesting Obama?

They’ll blame everybody but themselves for their issue to go down to miserable defeat.

And the blatant racism of white gay activists comes out in droves

22. jakeinlove says

Seriously I would rather see him be more active getting our economy fixed. DADT is not the biggest issue of the greater good. I went through 5 years of DADT and lived my life quite openly when in the military. I didn’t have ‘girlfriends’, I went to the bars in town, I even snuck a couple guys in the barracks – that was hot!

23. Chitown Kev says

@Nique Tamare

That charge is racist itself.

The fact is the Democratic Party, as a whole, has failed to act on LGBT issues and has even signed on to anti-gay legislation like DOMA. All the while, taking our votes, our money, and our time.

Obama is the head of the Democratic Party right now. And our community needs to send a message to the Democratic Party that they cannot continue to court our community come election time nor can they scapegoat our community when they lose elections.

And actually, I don’t hear too many white gay activists saying anything all that different from black gay activists as regards Obama and the Democratic Party. So take your race baiting and go on somewhere.

24. Brandon says

Would someone in the Democratic Party please stand up and say enough is enough when it comes to the civil rights of gay and lesbian Americans. I call myself an American with hesitation. Deep down I know I am not a real American. I am not afforded the same rights that a real American is fortunate to have. The Prop 8 decision came out yesterday and my President treated it as if it did not matter to him. The courts allowed bigotry to steal the right to love from millions and he acted like it was no big deal. I am sick and tired of being a second class citizen, and my party ignoring the issue because they believe it will not help them politically. We need leaders who believe that gays and lesbians are Americans just like our Straight counterparts and are not afraid to voice it. Loudly. The President being silent when gays and lesbians have their civil rights stolen from them is no better than the people who believed African Americans did not deserve the same civil rights as white Americans. Any pride in America that came from the election of a black president and the nomination of the first Latino Supreme Court justice, a woman no less, has been erased by its ability to not only stand by while a large number of its citizens have their civil rights taken away but actually take part in the discrimination. The Democratic Party gets large amounts of support both financially and otherwise from its members, gay and straight, that believe that their party should be on the front line in the fight for civil rights for every American. It saddens me that my party is more than happy to use the support of gays and lesbians to obtain power, but once in office we are treated like we do not matter. As time passes the support of gays and lesbians only grows among everyday Americans. It may be moving slowly, but I assure you that the way Democrats are treating us today will not be forgotten tomorrow.

25. Leland Frances says

“Overreaching” is scouring under the flaps at the bottom of an empty box for more excuses to defend a political phony. “Overreaching” is trying to mind read a politician in such a way that you can deny what comes out of their mouths. They often carefully use words that can be interpreted various ways, but plain “words matter” the most.

Plain Fact 1: Obama repeatedly NEEDLESSLY wrapped his opposition to civil marriage in religion. No other Dem candidate did.

Plain Fact 2: Obama, despite pleas from gays of all colors, used a rabidly homophobic black minister, a “poster boy for the black religious ex gay movement” in the words of black lesbian minister Irene Monroe, to shill for black votes in a state that had just months before constitutionally banned marriage equality. No other Dem candidate did.

Plain Fact 3: Obama courted homophobe and major Prop 8 supporter Rev. Rick Warren at his mega hate church. I don’t recall any other Dem candidate doing that. It was a recording of his saying “God is in the mix” there that was used to help pass Prop 8. Google images of “Obama Rick Warren” and be freshly nauseated by their exuberant delight in each other.

Plain Fact 4: He also needlessly mixed religion and civil marriage equality in his 2004 US Senate race. Did Clinton in her Senate race?

“I’m a Christian, and so although I try not to have my religious beliefs dominate or determine my political views on this issue, I do believe that tradition and my religious beliefs say that marriage is something sanctified between a man and a woman.” – Barack Obama, September 2004.

The continued efforts to find something to exonerate Obama for his manipulation of words to simultaneously seduce both gays and antigays while acting, or rather INacting, on the side of the latter once elected sounds more and more like Battered Wife Syndrome.

“Yes, he’s a terrible husband but he still loves me.”

26. JT says

I’m normally critical of most protests (because I think their targets are often so poorly chosen) but I think this is a good and legitimate one. It’s meant to be a statement to the President to..”Hey, keep your promises!”

27. Mario says

Wait a minue. maybe I am wrong, but didn’t Hillary’s dear husband Bill CLinton sign the DOMA?????? How is it that Hillary is the Holy Grail of gay rights? I am confused.

28. Jim says

Ok,so what is the alternative folks? John McCain? Obama may not be moving as fast as we would like him to but he’s only been in office a little over 100 days. I am willing to cut him some slack but I am disheartened at his silence. I was hoping he could at least SAY SOMETHING to assuage our angst.

29. Wayne says

The White House has released a statement (saw it on MSNBC so I’m sure it’s out there) regarding an announcement on LGBT issues to coincide with the Stonewall anniversary. Sounds like they’ve got something up their sleeve and they’re going to use Stonewall and the Pride celebrations to broadcast it… whatever “it” is.

30. says

Ares — Hillary’s husband gave us DADT and DOMA.

Thanks a bunch, bitch!!!!!

Barry is no imporvement.

There will be no change until we bring this coutnry to a halt. We could do it. But we want to be “liked” too much.

31. DK says

It’s time for the gay community to show what power our money has on the economy. A little trick we played on the San Francisco Board of Sups. years ago, we labeled our bills “GAY MONEY” or put pink triangles on them.
    Just a thought. Peace.

32. Rob says

Did they think the courts were going to overturn Prop 8? why would they do that, the people voted last November, thats what most choose. If they overturned the peoples vote, then our vote no longer matters. Just because your mad it happened last November, No one should be able to overturn what a majority of the people voted for.

And people who are gonna Protest at a Fundraiser tonight, its a waste of time, the president has more important issues hes dealing with, I would say 99.99% of the country would not put this issue at the top of his list.
    I

33. z says

I sure as hell hope the crowd is a bit less tame than last night in WeHo. March people. Where is the rage?

Take it to the streets (peacefully) and be heard. We barely even made the news last night. Pathetic. Those copters weren’t covering us, they were quieting us and cornering us.

Let’s show Obama what 10,000 angry gays look like!

March on Wilshire.

34. chasmader says

Much as I don’t like being thrown under the bus, I would have to agree w/ JAKEINLOVE. The greater good right now is fixing our economy. I’d rather have food on the table than a marriage license (I know there is a joke there).

35. Chaz says

you pathetic whiny little twits don’t deserve anything from the President because you are petty and selfish. I am a gay man, but I realize there is more to the world and to the President’s agenda than only gay rights. He is being pummeled trying to fix the economy and revice the financial industry as it stands. What sense does it make to alienate people he must work with immediately to placate a bunch of self-righteous prima donnas!!!Timing is everything so get over yourself.

36. Leland Frances says

“Yes, he’s a terrible husband but he still loves me.”

Not.

37. evan thomas says

Thousands of us marched last night in San Diego – all through the streets of downtown to the Hall of Justice. It was so powerful, so passionate, and such a blessing to be a part of. I met tourists who joined in on the march eating ice cream cones who were THRILLED to be a part of this moment in history. We as gay and lesbians will NEVER give up on this – we’ve been dealing with it all of our lives. We have no choice but to press on – and we will. As Coretta Scott King said, “”We are all tied together in a single garment of destiny . . . I can never be what I ought to be until you are allowed to be what you ought to be,” quoting her husband, Martin Luther King Jr. “I’ve always felt that homophobic attitudes and policies were unjust and unworthy of a free society and must be opposed by all Americans who believe in democracy!”

38. FASTLAD says

I’m quite sure the Obama administration can address the ongoing recession and also represent the interests of GLTB citizens. I can walk and chew gum, I’m quite certain that Obama can too.

The myth of scarcity (too much on his plate, etc) is just a ruse, a stalling tactic.

This board is filled with trolls today. That’s a good sign actually.

39. RK Wright says

Posted by: Hank Drake | May 27, 2009 12:15:21 PM

Hank, please explain WHY you do not think he could change his opinion on Marriage Equality? He had a very different opinion when running for the Senate in Illinois, where he stated unequivocally that he supported full marriage rights for gays and lesbians. His “opinion” only changed when he saw the chance to become President.

40. fregan says

Whoa. The one issue, low information non-voters are out and raging here. The vitriol directed at our fine president, the desire to embarrass, the wish to disrupt this event, the cynicism and disdain, are painful to read.
    You folks must have been told that this is a long struggle which has been going on since before many of you were born. The need to see it resolved now, the impassioned need for immediacy, is puerile and self-involved. Demands for action NOW from politicians have been commonplace in this movement for over 40 years. And still, many, many people who were passionately involved in gay activist politics fought bravely even as they knew they would never see the success they envisioned. They died young even as the movement aged with incremental successes. Screaming abuse at Obama, a friend, will not be helpful and we will be seen by our opposition as eating our own. Please think before you speak. Change gonna come.

41. Chitown Kev says

@Leland

The reason Obama did that was because he was never really accepted as far as the majority of the black “conservative” church community here in Chicago, bottom line. I agree with everything that you wrote there.
    Hillary Clinton, quite frankly, had more connections with the black church community nationwide than Barack Obama.

Until Donnie McClurkin, that is (who was a Bush supporter in 2004).

I was never confused about that. I agree with all of your Plain Facts.

42. Leland Frances says

Thanks for the sexism, David, and others. I hate to add fuel to the attempt of people to distract from the real issue which IS who won, but SHE did not sign DADT nor DOMA now did SHE?

Note, too, whatever his past sins, and they WERE MANY, the Bill some luv to hate did robo calls AGAINST Prop H8TE while, again, Obama’s exploiting religious homohatred to win votes for himself also won votes FOR PROP H8TE.

The subject of the post was and IS Obama and why he’s gone from “fierce advocate” to Bush Lite.

43. RK Wright says

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | May 27, 2009 1:18:12 PM

So, you are going to blame HER for the actions of her husband? Are you going to blame her for Bill getting his dick sucked in the Oval Office too? I’m sorry, but here we are arguing about Marriage Rights and you would blame one spouse for what the other did? At a dinner party, do you accept the blame when your husband screws up the meal? Are his actions your actions? Not in my household. I support my husband when he is in the right, or when under unfair attack, but his actions are his own and he is responsible for them.

And your misogyny is showing, bitch.

44. John says

Some of you need to be a little more patient. I realize that as a straight male, that is easy for me to say but the man has just started his presidency and has had to deal with cleaning up a whole lot of mess. All this while being attacked for everything he does, even putting mustard on a hamburger is faux news fader. He does not have the clout to hold this lightning rod in the air and proclaim justice, yet.

DADT was never intended to be a policy, it was a compromise position, it was a first step. Now it is time to learn to walk and take the next step.

Please be patient, I believe the majority of straight Americans are on your side and recognize the wrongs being committed here. The problem is that most of those that recognize are not the ones to protest and scream and yell and sadly often not to bother voting. The other side remains the enemy and they are vocal and in your face evil. I am hoping that by the end of President Obama’s 8 years, when we are electing Hillary as his replacement, America will have gotten past this hateful prejudice and ignorant treatment or the gay community and finally be looking at it as they should. Embarrassed and ashamed that we ever treated a group of people like we did.

45. AERES says

@ STEW & JIMMYBOYO

Are you basing these statements on some familiarity with law or federal rulemaking processes? Or on high school civics?

Review Chapter 9 of the Foreign Service Act of 1980, which proscribes benefits to Foreign Service personnel. Each section begins with “THE SECRETARY MAY” or “THE SECRETARY SHALL”, which clearly indicates rulemaking authority is vested in the SECRETARY OF STATE. And while these processes require public hearing (via publication in the Federal Register) they DO NOT require presidential approval.

Whats more, even when the authority to amend regulations IS reserved to the President, that authority IS NEARLY ALWAYS delegated by Executive Order to the respective agency head.

By way of illustrating my point I direct you the Foreign Service Act of 1980, Section 2107 (“Regulations”) enacted by 22 USC 4157, which references Executive Order 12293 (Feb. 23, 1981) whereby the President delegated “the authority vested in the President by Section 2107 of the Act to the extent necessary to implement the provisions of Section 2101 of the Act, relating to pay” (see Sec. 5 of same)

If you think Hillary Clinton sat down with President Obama and discussed benefits for Foreign Service officials – you’re insane.

This was an internal department decision initiated and approved by the departmental head – Hillary Clinton.

You can try and take that away – but the facts (and the law) demonstrate otherwise.

46. Leland Frances says

Thank you, Kev. We might not agree on every point here and there but I am continually impressed by your ability to voice agreement with those with whom you otherwise disagree instead of remaining quiet in such cases to bolster your disagreements. The exact opposite of a certain Obama apparatchik who has made it his mission to slander me personally from every angle when he has no credible response to what I say…the proof of his putrid pudding.

[And I was so hoping someone would call you a racist for critiquing Big O-2. 😉 LOL.]

47. AERES says

And @ all the other posters who want to blame Hillary Clinton for the legislation enacted by a Republican Congress and signed by HER HUSBAND- that’s ludicrous on its face and doesn’t deserve rebuttal.

The simple FACT is that Hillary Clinton campaigned in 2008 on an incrementalist approach to LGBT rights.

Obama promised far more, much faster.

The fact that he’s now being a political pragmatist essentially means he adopted Hillary’s original measured approach.

And the FACT remains, that given the authority vested in the both of them to ENACT CHANGE re: LGBT issues – only Hillary has exercised that authority to the fullest measure available.

48. says

I think Barack Obama has the potential to be a great president. So far, however, he has mostly mouthed platitudes on LGBTQ rights and human rights generally and has followed the advice of Bush holdovers: (Afghanistan,
    50,000 troops remaining in Iraq indefinitely, the banking crisis–throwing billions at the banks).We need to hold him to his campaign promises. I don’t think LGBTQ people should have to wait indefinitely for their basic human rights.

49. Dee says

Thanks to Seattle Mike. Anyone who wants to change up the status quo regarding DADT needs to bust @ss out there by working their congressional representatives. That is where any permanent repeal begins.

50. Chiedu says

I’ll be protesting tonight because I’m pissed at the President over Don’t Ask Don’t Tell, but I don’t expect much from him – at least for now. Obama will magically become our “fiercest advocate” once we’ve done all the work and passed marriage equality state by state. So it’s up to us. We have to put all of our efforts into overturning Prop 8 with a new proposition. It was 52-48 before. We’ll win in 2010.

51. ceecee says

Right now Obama is riding high in the polls. Any advisor right now is telling him to avoid the gay debate.

The GOP is a fractured party right now desperately looking for something to fuel or to gain members. Since gays/lesbians are an effective way scare the base and grab moderates who are uncomfortable with the gay thing, I won’t expect Obama to be making bold moves. And quite frankly, if it was Hillary as President, it wouldn’t be different either.

The truth is that this movement isn’t going to be won at the top.

We need our relatives, our friends, those straight people who love us to step up to the front of this fight, the same way that the CR movement needed white members to advance that movement.

It needs to be addressed in the greater and simplest context of…do you consider gays and lesbians equal citizens of and in these United States or not?

52. Fashion Fred says

During the Democratic primaries I supported Mike Gravel for his unequivocal support of gays and marriage equality. It’s too bad we didn’t get him in as President. He would have been incredible.

53. Chitown Kev says

@CeeCee

Exactly. Ever since the days of ACT UP (when our survival as a community was at stake), gay leadership has taken a top down approach and look at the results of all that access. They have done nothing with that access and we have quite a bit of access right now.

We need to organize from the bottom up as well, through the grassroots. And considering that grassroots organizing is also what Obama does best, if anything, he will be more than happy to see these protests and the continued grassroots organizing in our community.

As Jeremiah Wright said (who knows Obama as well as anyone) he is a politician. He’s not going to give anything to us. Our community has to compel him to work with us.

We failed in compelling Bill Clinton. However, there has been a sea change in how our community is viewed, especially among young people. Times have changed and if we protest and work hard we can compel Obama to work hard on our behalf…

54. Michael @ LeonardMatlovich.com says

Some of what you say is true, CeeCee, but, just as with the black civil rights movement, pretending that the federal government does not have the broadest and deepest role in our equality is blind at best. We “need our relatives, our friends, those straight people who love us to step up to the front” to fight for WHAT?

Four words: 1964 Civil Rights Act.

Of which ENDA would, in fact, be an amendment.

It wasn’t the Love Boat that delivered interstate transporation nondiscrimination law…it was the US Supreme Court after a case filed by the grassroots.

EVERY state could legalize 100% full monty “gay marriage” tonight [tho at this rate by current methods it will take about 20-25 more YEARS] and we’d still wake up tomorrow legally barred from the 1000+ federal rights and benefits given straight marrieds, from the IRS through the automatic citizenship given foreign-born spouses of American citizens.

EVERY civilian in America could love us madly and the Pentagon would still be kicking out approximately 2 gay soldiers every day [roughly 218 since Obama took office].

Etc., etc.

55. says

The president cannot simply wave a magic wand and voila laws are changed.

Personally, I have serious issues with the LGBT community especially the “professional gays.” There’s work to be done “within” folks just look around.

I believe this president has done more for the LGBT community (which strongly back Hillary) than the 43 before him.

Furthermore, Andy and company when you going too report on some real news (http://www.scribd.com/doc/13890650/Evidence) read pages 10-15 carefully. Dirty laundry in our backyard with Gays oppressing gays attacking gay journalist destroying the LGBT community and only a American veteran screaming to the world to look at this deplorable situation to no avail. Where were or are you guys?

56. ceecee says

Michael, I’m not suggesting an either way approach actually.

What I’m saying is that we need to recapture/create a movement. And by movement I mean this:

we all have different skills and comfort levels. We accept that. Some people might work as Log Cabin republicans, others dems, others greens, others libertarians, etc. There are those of us who are ACT up types, others legal eagles, others legislative types. Some of us are women, some men, some transgendered. Some are gay some straight some omni some bi. We are a rainbow of races and ethnicities and economic groups. Let’s not be restrictive, lets make this everyone’s fight.

The issue is equal rights under the law for all Americans. Everyone can get behind it and everyone can and will have to fight for it.

And yes the fight is at the federal level, the state level, and the individual level.

But we have to be practical about how to fight the battle. We can’t just rely on Dem leaders to save us. We can’t just rely on leaders to save us. We can’t just rely on our so called gay and lesbian leaders and spokespeople to save us.

And we HAVE to come up with a branding for our movement that is inclusive and sexy (not sexy as in sexual but sexy as in cool) and just and American enough that any reasonable person (gay straight black white religious or not) has to agree to.

We are US citizens deserving of equal treatment under the law.

We are US citizens and no US citizen should little asterisk next to their name.

57. DannyI says

@Aeres: “Ironic that Hillary Clinton is the administration official that has been out front in actually advancing LGBT rights in the areas where she has the authority to do so.”

Except she hasn’t been advancing in all the areas where she has the authority to do so. The Passport agency still won’t accept a name change based on marriage, if that marriage is to a same-sex spouse. All this would take is for Clinton to change the policy of the Agency. Passports are not issued to “married” or “single” people, so the refusal to admit marriage certificates from opposite-sex couples only as evidence of a new name is not only discriminatory and petty, it’s also boneheaded, since people in this situation, like me, now have to maintain two sets of identification: my driver’s license, social security card, credit cards, bank accounts, employment information, TAX FORMS, etc. all bear my new name, but my passport has to be kept with my old name unless I pay $350 to file for a court-ordered name change or “demonstrate exclusive use” of my new name for at least 5 years.

During her presidential campaign, Clinton’s position on marriage was the same as Carrie Prejean’s: marriage is for heterosexuals and gay people can have “something else.”

I think it’s awesome that she’s advancing *anything* in her jurisdiction, especially with Obama continuing to ignore us, but don’t start thinking that she would have been any better. We don’t know that and we can’t know that.

58. AERES says

@ DANNY

That’s unfortunate. Until that gets fixed, try approaching the name change as something that occured by operation of state law, as opposed to a name change by operation of marriage.

State Dept regulations specifically allow for this kind of documentation of name change.

See 22 CFR 51.25(c)

Online at: http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=b91a10961b18f21b4fc2322e79465640&rgn=div8&view=text&node=22:1.0.1.6.33.2.1.6&idno=22

59. says

“Fool me once…”

Are you kidding me? This happens every time. Bill Clinton threw gays under the bus with DADT. (Military code of justice still says gays cannot serve which is why everyone is still tossed out.) Then he told Obama to adopt a conservative stance on gay marriage. (Obama has the same position as Miss Calif. in case you aren’t paying attention.)

ENDA? DADT? Hate Crimes? Don’t hold your breath. Nothing will happen until 2011 when lots of promises will be made but “we can’t act now because it will damage Dems in
    *close* elections.” Then the same thing will happen again.

The Dems can take gay votes for granted, so why should they do anything that would upset other demographics?

60. says

How long you got?

Get used to it, kids: Obama is a liar. If you actually trusted him, it just goes to show that you’re not really ready for this fight yet.

61. says

Harvey Milk is rolling over in his grave. How do you think Proposition 6 failed while Proposition 8 passed?

Because the gay community in California has no one like Harvey Milk who went around the entire state and educating the voting public about the issue at hand. Milk and his community organizers didn’t allow the religious right to frame the debate.

An intelligent activist I know said with a straight face that it wasn’t our reponsibility to do education and outreach to those voters who might vote for Prop 8. It was only our duty to mobilize our base.

Well, look how that turned out.

If we want to blame Obama and call him out because he’s not fulfilling his campaign promises on GLBT issues right now then so be it.

But it’s not wise.

He’s been president less than four months and it’s not his fault Prop 8 passed.

It’s OURS.

Put up or shut up.

62. Leland Frances says

@ Craig.

Setting aside that Harvey was cremated and his ashes scattered at sea, a metaphor’s a metaphor and if he were “rolling over in his grave” before, he’d be jumping out of it at your suggestion we keep quiet about Mr. Phony Fierce Advocate & Broken Promises.

Milk was ALL about demanding accountability…and would be Obama’s loudest critic by now if he were still alive. Bullhorn in hand, he’d be LEADING the protest tonight in LA.

63. jh says

He saw them, and made fun of them at the dinner. He pretended not to know who they were, and made fun of the sign: “KEEP YOUR PROMISE.” He said “what promise?” He knew there’d be gay protesters. It was all over the news. That’s what we get now, I guess …. inactivity punctuated by Presidential ridicule. The joke he made at the White House Correspondents Dinner about gay marriage in Iowa was the ONLY thing he said about gay marriage in Iowa.

64. says

As a gay Puma I knew from the very beginning that Obama was just exploiting the gay community to get votes and money. After Rick Warren and his campaining with anti-gay preachers I do not understand how you can still say you support Obama. You are fools. Wake up.