Adam Lambert | I'm Gay | News

Adam Lambert: 'I'm Gay. I'm Proud of My Sexuality. I Embrace It.'

Lambert

Adam Lambert tells Rolling Stone in its new issue:

"I don’t think it should be a surprise for anyone to hear that I’m gay. I've been living in Los Angeles for eight years as a gay man. I've been at clubs drunk making out with somebody in the corner...Right after the finale, I almost started talking about it to the reporters, but I thought, ‘I’m going to wait for Rolling Stone, that will be cooler. I didn’t want the Clay Aiken thing and the celebrity-magazine bullshit. I need to be able to explain myself in context. I’m proud of my sexuality. I embrace it. It’s just another part of me....[Ultimately], I’m trying to be a singer, not a civil rights leader."

More: "I loved it this season when the girls went crazy for me. As far as I'm concerned, it's all hot."

Lambert2 Stereotypes annoy him: "Clay Aiken's gay, and I'm gay, and we couldn't be more different. The only thing that is the same about everyone in the gay community is that we're gay. ... Why can't we talk about a human community?"

On his thoughts when he was placed as Kris Allen's roommate in the Idol mansion: "They put me with the cute guy. Distracting! He's the one guy I found attractive in the whole group on the show: nice, nonchalant, pretty and totally my type — except that he has a wife. I mean he's open-minded and liberal, but he's definitely 100% straight."

Behind-the-scenes cover shoot video here. Cover photograph by Matthew Rolston for Rolling Stone.

Comments

1. Hawt!!! Good luck Adam glad u told the truth &totes look foward to the music

Posted by: Crystal | Jun 9, 2009 11:01:59 AM

2. I for one am happy for him. I am usually cynical as the rest of you about these things and have never cared much about American Idol, but Adam Lambert is a great performer and I got hooked. He is the only AI performer ever that got me to download his songs in iTunes. I love listening to him. He is by far the best performer that show has ever had.

Posted by: Joe | Jun 9, 2009 11:03:49 AM

3. Wow! Everyday folks on here slam Obama for not supporting us enough. Then when someone does something brave by coming out publicly, most folks on here act like a jackass and make snide comments. When you came out and people supported you, were grateful? Did a bunch of bitter folks made snide comments and make you regret it? WE ALL NEED TO STICK TOGETHER! It is the only way we will make it. It doesn't matter if you don't like his music, then don't buy it. But most of America watched this guy and many now may feel they "know" someone gay. Just saying.

Posted by: Leto | Jun 9, 2009 11:04:36 AM

4. I can't believe all the cunty comments in this section. Are you fucking kidding me? This is huge - the biggest star on the biggest TV show in America makes no bones about being gay - he NEVER DID - and no one cares. NO ONE CARES. Everyone watching knew he was gay and still kept voting for him. I think Lambert is great, great news for the gay "community," although judging from the comments here, there's not much of a community. We destroy each other long before straight people do it.

Hopefully, just as old homophobes have to die out, the bitchy, self-hating old bitter "Boys In The Band" queens have to also die out, and will be then replaced by a more embracing, and secure, generation.

Posted by: Jim | Jun 9, 2009 11:09:59 AM

5. I wish I had all the time in the world to crouch by my computer, waiting to pounce to tear other people apart. Must be nice!

Nobody is ever out enough. Nobody is ever out correctly. Nobody is ever out when they're still successful.

Adam Lambert was never in. He made an official announcement in the press the second he was able to. He did so when he's at the height of being internationally famous, has sold a gazillion songs over the Internet, but before he even released his own first album.

But, of course, that's not good enough. It's not even good enough that he wants to be a never-in pop singer, which is his chosen career and calling in life and with which he'll reach the entire planet, and not a civil rights activist. How dare he live his own life and lead by example and not forego wealth and fame on our behalf?

If anybody ever wonders why so many people in the world will NEVER take us seriously, please refer them to this comments page.

Posted by: ohplease | Jun 9, 2009 11:10:00 AM

6. Doug, how do you know that? It makes sense. I did get the impression that he would've wanted to be out, but his hands were tied. Crispy, what did they make up? Anyway, he seems like a sweetie and he seems happy, which is awesome. Also, I am SO excited that Chris Daughtry is featured. I love him (yup, and I'm not ashamed of it)!

Posted by: K | Jun 9, 2009 11:11:24 AM

7. Such a shock. He seemed so butch. Never would have guessed.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jun 9, 2009 11:16:06 AM

8. Finally that this is out of the way. Can we discuss about something else? So all that MANLY-LOOK in AI like the Mad World #1, Satisfaction, Black & White, Tracks of My Tears, Funky Music, One, his audition of Bohemian Rhapsody were the FAKE Adam Lambert. I don't mind gay people but the only thing I mind is how every gay man has to OPENLY comment about other men if they are his type or if they are hot or cute. Like can't a gay man just be around another man without thinking of sex/his body (he is cute, hot, etc.)?

I think that's why a lot of gay men are good-looking because they focus too much on the looks/body of another man. And they are the in-your-face type also where they would force a straight man to be gay by coming on to them. In my opinion, I think there are men who are born gay like they think they are female, I have seen this before. But I also think that there are men who were NOT born gay but learned to be gay because another true gay male attracted to them was hounding them to be gay. I have seen this one also.

I guess, I am discussing about gay. LOL

Posted by: tij | Jun 9, 2009 11:22:43 AM

9. Adam never denied he was gay. He was coy about it, because of his contract with AI. Apparently those restriction have been lifted and I think Rolling Stone (a rock music venue that used to have a gay publisher) is the perfect medium instead of People or Us or The Enquirer. Clay Aiken---pffft! Adam has more charisma and talent than that Southern Belle.

Posted by: woodroad34 | Jun 9, 2009 11:22:46 AM

10. So, I frankly have never watched American Idol, and think of it as the TV equivalent of the top 40 stations I don't listen to. I'm no fervent purist who hates all pop music, it's just that most of it is an increasingly dim imitation of what came before. There are good pop songs, but anything worth hearing I'll hear about, and can find for myself.

Even with the Adam Lambart gossip, I had no interest in watching the show. Until a music critic I respect, Ken Tucker at NPR, wrote about it enough to get me interested (here: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=104658874). I watched some of Lambart's songs, and I have to say I was impressed. I checked out some other people, and it was the generic pop slosh I stay away from Idol for.

Lambart is talented, and could very well be an important part of American music. The fact that he's gay, and open about it, is important to. I've been doing some research on Louie Armstrong, and while he wasn't thought of as an important part of the Civil Rights Movement (he was an entertainer, not an activist), privately he was a big backer of MLK and when he did use his fame to speak out, was paid attention to.

This is not just some celebrity. This is gays finally taking the credit we deserve for our hugely disproportionate contribution to American culture.

Posted by: Alex | Jun 9, 2009 11:24:25 AM

11. I'm confused. Irony is no longer allowed? Is this what the curtailment of free speech these past 8 years has brought us to? Or is it the complete breakdown of our education system that has led us to ruin? Do all those here who criticize the valid opinions of others really think they're not entitled to those opinions? I don't watch American Idol, in fact I don't watch ANYTHING on Fox because Rupert Murdoch has it in for us, unless of course we're chattel giving him more and more billions by patronizing his advertisers.

So my valid opinion is based on the fact that I was aware through my very limited knowledge of this guys existence that he was gay. My question would be, why the need to announce? Why the need to come out? When Enrique Iglesias sang at the Gay Club last year he said, and I quote, "Let's pretend I'm gay for a moment." I said, "Let's pretend it doesn't matter."

If we all want to stand together we need to move out into the world at large and really educate the fearful lemmings that we're not predators, that we're just people and that who we love has no bearing on our worth. If we didn't feel the need to come out maybe none of this would be such a big deal.

Respect the opinions of others and maybe if we try to understand each other, then we can all stand together instead of scolding each other publicly because we don't behave as everyone thinks we should.

Posted by: Sean | Jun 9, 2009 11:29:28 AM

12. The bitter queens of towleroad are so trifle.Im 27 years old now and Im gonna see to it that in the next 20 years I dont wind up like you sick bastards.Everybody here is all pissy that Obama hasnt spoke up on our behalf,but when someone who is gay is doing well for themselves and is out and open about it.The bitterness doesnt go away.Its a shock if any of you have a boyfriend or husband,waking up to bitches like you everyday must be a real pain in the ass,they probably have to be hammered half the time to deal with your shit (if you even have a man in your life).

The bitter attitude aint working for you and it aint attractive either.Instead of being a bunch of socially retarded,jealous,envious,bitter queens and pathetic little losers,how about getting your facts str8 beofre you start poppin shit.

And for christ sake get some prozac.

Posted by: Nelson | Jun 9, 2009 11:37:32 AM

13. Hoooray!!!
    I love Adam and voted for him lots. Fuck all you old queen cynics...Adam will be around a long, long, long time.

Posted by: jim | Jun 9, 2009 11:42:23 AM

14. Big deal. Any guy who wears that much foundation must like cock. And that magazine cover is terrible. I get the feeling Adam is already on the way out. Of course, I'd be surprised if Kris Allen stick around for long as well.

Posted by: Chris T. | Jun 9, 2009 11:43:34 AM

15. Sean and I would now like everyone to join hands for a rousing choral rendition of Kumbaya.

Posted by: crispy | Jun 9, 2009 11:46:57 AM

16. I rest my case.

Posted by: Sean | Jun 9, 2009 11:51:21 AM

17. " I've been at clubs drunk making out with somebody in the corner" -- a true role model for our community!!!

Posted by: Marty | Jun 9, 2009 12:02:11 PM

18. Really disappointed in the bitterness shown in this thread but I guess I am finally learning some must make others look bad to make themselves feel good. Adam is a talented guy who never denied who he was. He was consistently gracious and respectful to others. Lets just be a model for a good human being and forget what community we fall into. Thats how we show our equality.

Posted by: Jerseygay | Jun 9, 2009 12:19:08 PM

19. Having met reps of the newest gen of gay men, I fail to detect any more sanity or comity than with the older generations. Insane bitchiness is a gay thing, not an age thing. It's not going away.

Posted by: anon | Jun 9, 2009 12:30:37 PM

20. @LIAM, thank you.

Posted by: Trasker | Jun 9, 2009 12:33:51 PM

21. On one hand, I'm glad the press-baiting is done. It was old.

Now, for the meat of this. I'm glad he got the cover of Rolling Stone. Is he a bit naive about the fact that the photos and vids would surface, uhm, yes, but unlike Clay, he came out as soon as he could, and whether he is a "role model" or not, he's gonna give some kids somewhere hope that the guy they admired on stage doing more for AI than any other contestant is just like them.

I will buy his album, I hope all goes well with what looks like his boyfriend, and I hope that his career goes as he plans it.

Next topic, please ;)

Posted by: DR | Jun 9, 2009 12:38:12 PM

22. Sean, I think I may not fully understand your point. You say your question is, "why announce" but you also say, "we need to move out into the world at large and really educate"

How do we really educate about being gay if we don't announce that we are gay?

Posted by: Domaq | Jun 9, 2009 12:44:55 PM

23. who cares if he's gay?

Posted by: Brandon | Jun 9, 2009 1:00:56 PM

24. Good for you Adam! I loved your voice and your image on the show. I look forward to hearing your music in the future. You are just one more open diverse face in this diverse community.

Posted by: Timothy K | Jun 9, 2009 1:03:12 PM