Gay Marriage | Mark Sanford | News | Republican Party | South Carolina

Anti-Gay South Carolina GOP Governor Sanford Admits to Affair

Sanford

South Carolina Republican Governor Mark Sanford, a "family values" kind of guy who believes marriage should be between a man and a woman, admitted to an extramarital affair today after nearly a week of speculation as to his whereabouts.

Not only does Sanford oppose same-sex marriage, he also opposes civil unions as well as gay adoptions. Do you think Sanford's four kids missed him when he skipped out on them for Father's Day last weekend because he was cheating on mommy?

As little as two weeks ago, Sanford told Joe Scarborough that the Republican Party should not shift its views on same-sex marriage.

Watch both clips, AFTER THE JUMP...

In its coverage, FOX News identified Sanford as a Democrat:

Sanforddem

Comments

1. What I hate is the fact that Sanford is using religion as a big crutch to wash over this situation with an orchestrated "big contrite forgiveness-begging" Jimmy Swaggart press conference. You were just there this weekend! Getting some hot Argentine action! It's too early to play that Forgiveness Card--your body/mind is still thinking, "Damn that felt so fucking good!" Does Sanford think he can just hop into the Forgiveness Express Lane? There must be a ton more to why he's spilling this to the public so quickly (I smell: baby, tranny, blackmail, all of the above).

The "bottom line" (OMG if he says that one more time!) is his skipping town with conflicting stories and vagaries about where he was and who if anyone knew. If a sitting governor can so easily be distracted to self-destructively run out of the country to "do something exotic" with some hot foreign pussy, he is a bigger security risk than we thought.

(Actually I thought the grinning girl over his shoulder brought some reality-check levity to the event.)

Posted by: lodenmuse | Jun 24, 2009 4:33:54 PM

2. Oh for fucks sake this is beyond a joke at this point. I have HAD it with these sanctimonious do as I say not as I do blowhards.

Posted by: Elcamino | Jun 24, 2009 4:38:44 PM

3. Anybody watch the FOX coverage of this?

Mark Sanford (D)

they did the same with

Larry Craig (D)

Foley (D)

etc

Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Posted by: jimmyboyo | Jun 24, 2009 4:40:30 PM

4. I'm so sick of these fuckin' hypocrites...

Posted by: squeezit | Jun 24, 2009 4:43:54 PM

5. http://www.dailykos.com/story/2009/6/24/746372/-Adultery-is-a-crime-in-South-Carolina!

LOL

The illegality of adultery still on the books in SC

Posted by: jimmyboyo | Jun 24, 2009 4:46:15 PM

6. Ha Ha, he said he wanted to talk about his "bottom" line...hmmm, what else was going on in that basement with his "dear friend" of 20 years?

Posted by: RONTEX | Jun 24, 2009 4:46:32 PM

7. add me to the list of those fully expecting to find out that the dear dear friend is a guy. he does say she a couple times towards the end of the interview, but it seemed like a correction of an oversight.

glad to see i wasn't the only one with a very suspicious mind and an awareness of semantics.

Posted by: jack | Jun 24, 2009 4:53:37 PM

8. Wow, Brokeback Sanford ?

Posted by: JackFuknTwist | Jun 24, 2009 4:56:13 PM

9. " (gay rights) are just not core to most people's lives (in a way that) fiscal policy is" or perhaps more tellingly, nor are truly "walking the talk" from you re: your own family.

I went to college w/ this dingo and he was as big a drip then as now - privileged, aspirant and a big blah. all the sorority sisters wanted to know who Mark would take to the beach for Spring Break. Jenny - I'd have to say you are one VERY lucky - and now, screwed over, lady.

make some more room in the big house, daddy. the prodigal son is back, Back, BACK!

Posted by: brian | Jun 24, 2009 4:57:27 PM

10. I wish his family a speedy recovery and minimal humiliation (although that's pretty unlikely at this point.)

What a shitbag. Mr. "I'm a Bottom Line, lay the cards on the table kinda guy."

Then he goes on to insult his family by apologizing to them in public.

I hope you get a colostomy bag, Senator, and for the first time this year, I wish somebody (YOU) ill will.

Now go wipe yourself.

Posted by: Tom | Jun 24, 2009 4:59:02 PM

11. What a stinking hypocrite !

Posted by: JackFuknTwist | Jun 24, 2009 4:59:34 PM

12. and P.S.
    Get a haircut! The gross oily parted wavy, barely controllable look is loooong over.

We have gels, sprays, pomades, and layering haircut techniques that will quell your seedy looks - which are only augmented by your anachronistic Folksy Evangelical "I'm a MAN." 1970's patois.

Whoa - what a straight up kinda MAN.
    Y u c k.

Posted by: Tom | Jun 24, 2009 5:03:29 PM

13. gotta love that final line from big ole Morning Joe - "we all love ya, Mark!" to whit - S.W.A.K. sealed with a kiss - just like Judas. that smell is one's future turning to toast.

Posted by: brian | Jun 24, 2009 5:08:09 PM

14. Holy shit! Fox News did it AGAIN!

Look at the (D) next to his name in that screencap!

Another 'technical mistake' no doubt. What a joke.

Posted by: Jordan | Jun 24, 2009 5:09:06 PM

15. I hope my partner's family is proud of what they voted into office in their state.

Posted by: Jeff | Jun 24, 2009 5:13:46 PM

16. If he really was a "lay the cards on the table kinda guy," then he would have asked for a separation from his wife before having sex with another. Also, when are the Dems going to call out Fox News on their BLATANT lying regarding political affiliation of their chosen party scandals.

Posted by: WeHoSuperhero | Jun 24, 2009 5:17:29 PM

17. Gavin Newsom cheated on his own wife with his re-election campaign manager's wife. Antonio Villaraigosa cheated on his wife and children with Spanish-language TV anchor Mirthala Salinas. But they're pro-gay marriage, so they are wonderful, right?

Why are men who don't care about the sanctity of their own marriages, but support gay marriage lauded on this site, but conservatives with similar failings, who don't support the homosexual lifestyle, are tarred and feathered here?

I'm glad Sanford was exposed. I think what he did was reprehensible, but you only seem to care because he doesn't profess support for what you want.

It's good that he's exposed and will likely be finished. We don't need leaders like that, Republican or Democrat.

Here's what I don't understand: You heaped praise on Brokeback Mountain, which also involved duplicity and adultery, but that kind is fine because you consider that as having been done for love. Maybe Sanford would say the same thing to excuse his actions.

I don't know and don't care. What he did was wrong. But you're also wrong if you're gloating over this scandal, while defending any scandal where the perpetrator is a Democrat.

What I do know is that things like this end Republican political careers (and I'm fine with that), but Democrats cheat on their wives, have sex with interns, or sex with a 17-year-old congressional page in Portugal (Gerry Studds), or sex with a 17-year-old legislative intern in a public restroom (Sam Adams),and get vehemently defended by Democrats, remain a celebrated figure in the media (Bill Clinton), and even get reelected.

Republicans really don't approve of these things. There are exceptions (Larry Craig and David Vitter come to mind), but as a rule, Republican philanderers end up leaving public office. Mark Foley never even had sex with a page, but he resigned.

Contrast that with Gerry Studds. The House voted to censure Studds, on July 20 1983, by a vote of 420-3. Studds faced the Speaker who was actually reading the motion, with his back to the other members. In addition to the censure, the Democratic leadership stripped Studds of his chairmanship of the House Merchant Marine Subcommittee. Studds was later appointed chair of the House Committee on Merchant Marine and Fisheries. Studds received two standing ovations from supporters in his home district at his first town meeting following his congressional censure.

Studds defended his sexual relationship with the minor as a "consensual relationship with a young adult."

Democrats seem to care more about party affiliation than principles.

This site doesn't seem to be any exception.

Posted by: Marilyn | Jun 24, 2009 5:36:58 PM

18. See how Fox News calls him a democrat like they have done before.

Posted by: carl | Jun 24, 2009 5:48:39 PM

19. Marilyn,

What you call 'gloating' on a queer blog is the fact the majority of us are in fact gay or lesbian, have heard these GOP politicians denouncing our relationships and even our identity as wrong, sinful, and even harmful to families. It doesn't take a genius to see that when the reality comes out: that 'sinful acts' are only coming from 'those homosexuals,' that we're going to be a little happy about it. Get over yourself.

As for your simplistic statements about people NOT denouncing Democratic philanderers, you are wrong. Please post links to where this site or others have not had just as much commentary for these people. You playing the victim for the Republican party is amusing, but completely incorrect.

Don't tell me I 'heaped' praise on Brokeback Mountain. I thought it was a middling movie that was only important socially. Your generalizations just make you look really ignorant.

Just because you can pull out a handful of instances from the Dems or the GOP doesn't mean your point is solid. I could easily do the same. So please feel free to provide solid statistics about the HUNDREDS of political scandals we've been over.

You need to think critically before you just sound off the first talking points you've most likely plagiarized from some rightwing blog or Fox News.

Posted by: Realness | Jun 24, 2009 6:03:22 PM

20. It doesn't take a genius to see that when the reality comes out: that 'sinful acts' AREN'T only coming from 'those homosexuals,' that we're going to be a little happy about it.

excuse the typo, Marilyn. You probably aren't reading too carefully anyway, through all those tears shed over the SHAMEFUL way we've treated those persecuted Republicans.

Posted by: Realness | Jun 24, 2009 6:06:43 PM

21. Marilyn

the HUGE difference is

repubs = I'm more holy than thee (pontificate pontificate pontificate )and what you do in U'r bedroom is important to me and my medeling with what U do in U'r own bedroom

DEMS= people are people, I'm human, and what you all do in your own bedroom is U'r biz

Posted by: jimmyboyo | Jun 24, 2009 6:08:04 PM

22. 'Do as I say, not as I Do' has become the GOP anthem.

Say Amen and Pass the Cornbread.

Posted by: Steven | Jun 24, 2009 6:09:17 PM

23. REALNESS...

Excellent response!

Posted by: Godfrey | Jun 24, 2009 6:09:32 PM

24. Let's forget the affair for a moment. Start with this is a sitting governor who LIED to his staff about his where-abouts and disappeared. What if there was a need to call out the National Guard? An epidemic? And this guy was down with Evita (or Evan...but more likely Evita) in Buenos Aires!

Second, he believes that God's law is to protect people from themselves? How self-serving. Decipher his code and he's whining, "I broke the religious commandments I use to oppress and judge everyone else, and I got caught with my pants down, so please don't be hard on me, I'm already hard on myself."

Third, he met this woman on the Internet? I will be my last dollar he met her on some cyber-sex site or something equally as pervy.

Folks, this is family values 2009. These are the shining examples of politics. Of Republicans.

All the better for us who are asking, "How can these shitbums evoke any kind of moral highground? They have the moral spines of worms."

I simply feel bad for his wife and most especially his sons. What kind of example has he set for them? How will they treat the women in their lives? If I were living in S. Carolina, I would be calling for him to step down. He needs time for therapy, a lot of it.

Posted by: Bart | Jun 24, 2009 6:11:07 PM

25. Did you notice the screen grab off of FOXNews notes that Sanford is a (D) democrat? They do this A LOT when Republicans get in trouble.

Posted by: mike | Jun 24, 2009 6:32:44 PM