Antonio Banderas | Film | Kiss | News | Pedro Almodóvar | Playing Gay

Antonio Banderas: No Pardon for Kissing a Man on the Mouth

Banderas1

PopWrap interviews Antonio Banderas about his career. Banderas recalls that when he was in Law of Desire, kissing a man was more frowned upon than killing one. Likely still true today.

Banderas2 Said Banderas: "Everything changes as you get older -- your mind, your body, the way you view the world. For example the scenes I did with [director Pedro] Almodovar in the 80's were very tough to play at the time it was not common for actors to play gay. Many actors thought that if you played those scenes, everybody would identify you with that role...I felt very early on in my professional life that where there were limits, there shouldn't have been limits. I remember in 'Law of Desire,' where I played a homosexual, that people were more upset that I kissed a man on the mouth than I killed a man. It's interesting to see how people can pardon you for murdering a man, but they can't pardon you for kissing one. It's a very interesting approach to morality in our days, so you see there is an incredible amount of hypocritical judgment over those things."

Comments

1. I pretty much fell in lust and love with him in that movie

Posted by: RONTEX | Jun 24, 2009 10:03:18 AM

2. He could get it then, he could get it now.

Posted by: ChristopherM | Jun 24, 2009 10:18:48 AM

3. This reminds me of the inscription that gay veteran Leonard Matlovich put on his tombstone:

"When I was in the military, they gave me a medal for killing two men and a discharge for loving one."

Posted by: cognitive dissident | Jun 24, 2009 10:22:31 AM

4. That was his best role. It's been downhill ever since.

Posted by: soulbrotha | Jun 24, 2009 10:38:49 AM

5. My God he was beautiful then.(still pretty hot now too)

Posted by: rob | Jun 24, 2009 10:43:47 AM

6. Foya me! Foya me!!!

Posted by: Kevinvt | Jun 24, 2009 10:49:39 AM

7. He didn't just kiss a man, he very convincingly took it up the ass from him. (sigh)

Posted by: christopher | Jun 24, 2009 11:12:16 AM

8. yes I also remember him doing a darn sight more than kissing...

Posted by: arch | Jun 24, 2009 11:20:00 AM

9. Banderas is a Hollywood rarity: Hot AND smart!

Posted by: Hank Drake | Jun 24, 2009 11:39:42 AM

10. Yeah, that scene where his lifts his legs in the air...that was incredible!

But he's so right. It's horrifying to think that, for so many people, it's more socially acceptable for a man to kill another man than for a man to kiss another man.

Posted by: Joseph | Jun 24, 2009 11:50:16 AM

11. That movie has one of my favorite scenes of all time. Carme Maura, who plays her sister (but used to be his brother, big family secret), is on her knees, praying (in one hand a cigarette, in the other a rosary) in front of an altar made of virgins (Marilyn Monroe included!). At her side, a girl who strongly believed in the power of praying. Genius!

Posted by: Carlos | Jun 24, 2009 12:14:12 PM

12. Let's not also forget that he was also Tom Hank's partner in Philadelphia. TWO gay roles in a lifetime? Now THAT'S incredible!

Posted by: Smokey | Jun 24, 2009 12:30:57 PM

13. Antonio is one of those rare actors with balls behind the beauty....he's a smart, beautiful and talented actor...

Posted by: bryanD | Jun 24, 2009 12:50:33 PM

14. There was something so genuine to the portrayal of his relationship with the film director in that movie...it was the first time I'd ever seen a gay interaction portrayed so genuinely and probably one of the few times overall. From my point of view, it was disturbing to feel such empathy/affection for Banderas' character because he was, after all, a cold blooded killer. That movie is just fantastic.

Posted by: Bruno | Jun 24, 2009 1:43:06 PM

15. A same-sex kiss in a movie has never been a controversial issue in Spain, it's frequent even in Tv shows in prime-time, it's clear that Antonio Banderas is talking about what happens in USA.

Posted by: spanishguy | Jun 24, 2009 6:08:52 PM

16. Spanishguy, I would agree with your statement except for the "never" part. Things were very different under Franco, and before la Movida (in which Almodovar played such a huge part) changed Spanish culture and Spanish society seemingly 180 degrees overnight, and hopefully forever. I was in Spain in the 60s and early 70s and it was a different country back then.

Posted by: Jose | Jun 24, 2009 9:40:27 PM