Amsterdam | Film | News | Sacha Baron-Cohen

Bruno Jet Skis, Opens 'Pink Light District' in Amsterdam

Brunoamsterdam

Sacha Baron Cohen continued his European tour for Bruno, premiering in Amsterdam today. Bruno jetskied down a canal before climbing into the city's Red Light District to announce he was opening the "Pink Light District" for business.

Said Bruno, cutting a pink ribbon: "It gives me great pleasure to declare Amsterdam's pink light district officially open for business. For too long, guys coming here from around the world have been forced to have sex with women. People of Amsterdam, I hope that you will enjoy these man holes..."

Soon after he left, Reuters reports, "The real prostitutes, who had hidden from the flashing cameras, reopened their curtains to wait for their next clients in their red-lit windows."

Video, AFTER THE JUMP...

Brunoamsterdam2

Comments

1. Blackskin: I agree. I'm way bored with Bruno but the clothes and the ethnic guys are a nice break from yet another white guy which is all we ever see otherwise (not that there's anything wrong with that.).

And the clothes are truly Mackie-Brills.

Posted by: Derek Washington | Jun 19, 2009 4:57:18 PM

2. "Being gay is negative?"
    Crispy, I think you've misinterpreted Donavan's comment. I'm sure he was refering not to "being gay" itself but to the antics Bruno uses to exploit negative stereotypes of gay people.

Posted by: GregV | Jun 19, 2009 5:28:56 PM

3. So it's being a sissy fashionista that's the negative part?

Posted by: crispy | Jun 19, 2009 6:07:21 PM

4. I'm not wild about this guy...there's something confusing about his brand of comedy...Is the joke on us or is it just good natured fun...I doubt the latter.

Posted by: ken | Jun 19, 2009 6:16:45 PM

5. I want his capris.

Posted by: Michael | Jun 19, 2009 7:25:48 PM

6. Crispy,
    I don't know how familiar you are with the Bruno character, but he does things like making others believe he has bought a black child as a fashion statement and then showing disregard for the child's safety.
    He asks straight men he's just met very sexual questions in what they have been led to believe will be interviews about their professions, etc., and then makes sexual advances on them and then even when they react appropriately to let him know they're unavailable to him (an example would be something like: "Thanks, man, but I'm already married"), pets them seductively and asks what time the wife will be gone so they can have sex, etc., etc.
    He takes the worst kinds of stereotypes that the most ignorant homophobes believe and portrays it as a character who goes out annoying people.
    The controversy among us who "get it" is, I think, about whether this "reinforces" or "exposes" that kind of ignorance.

Posted by: GregV | Jun 19, 2009 7:26:47 PM

7. BORING,STUPID.

Posted by: fusd | Jun 19, 2009 7:28:19 PM

8. I loathe Sasha Baron Cohen. He isn't funny. He's poking as much fun at gays as he pretends to of straight people. He's a narcissist and a one-note performer who hasn't been lol funny since Ali G. His GQ cover photo is offensive. When GQ puts a real gay man on its cover, naked, I'll change my tune. In the meantime, this is just a 21st century minstrel show.

Posted by: Christopher | Jun 19, 2009 7:47:03 PM

9. still gay black face...

Posted by: alan brickman | Jun 19, 2009 8:02:52 PM

10. Ben said "Amazing amazing. I love reading about each new stop on this tour. I wish he'd do some in America".

Well Ben, I hope he will also do promotions in the anti-gay Hell Holes of Eastern Europe.

Poland, Russia, Uzbekistan (any of the Stans), Romania, Bugaria (any of those countries that end in "ia").

They need to be exposed to this. They need exposing to all things GAY. They need re-exposing time and time again. Wear them down with anything GAY GAY GAY - until they get used to it and see we ain't going away.

It doesn't matter if it's Bruno or Ellen or Elton or Little Britian. These Hell Holes need to see GAY every day to see that GAY is every day.

We may love Bruno or we may hate him but he keeps GAY visible and talked about. Bruno represents only a tiny section of GAY - enjoy him while he's here.

Posted by: Glynn | Jun 19, 2009 9:48:54 PM

11. STOP POSTING THIS SH*T! Please. I like towleroad - I don't want to have to keep seeing this Bruno crap. It's like you are on the marketing team. I'm sick of seeing it. Please, really. STOP!

Posted by: Dan | Jun 19, 2009 11:42:36 PM

12. If you are feeling sick Dan, try some self medication - click off

Posted by: Glynn | Jun 20, 2009 8:28:52 AM

13. Glynn,
    Funny, I can think of something you can do that ends with the word off as well.

Posted by: Dan | Jun 20, 2009 11:29:12 AM

14. PS -- And spell your name right for Chrissakes.

Posted by: Dan | Jun 20, 2009 11:29:59 AM

15. Dan Darling - I didn't intend to upset you anymore - you were obviously already pretty um....sick.

Sorry the clicking suggestion didn't work for you - it is rather difficult to stay away from the T-Rd isn't it?

I've already taken your advice re the "off" thing today - lovely it was too.

PS -- Mine is the Welsh spelling with 2 N's