Adam Lambert | American Idol | Clay Aiken | David Archuleta | News

BigGayDeal.com

David Archuleta's Gaydar Functioning Properly

Archuleta

Former Idol contestant David Archuleta discusses Adam Lambert and musicians who come out of the closet:

"I don't think it was a big surprise. I don't think he was trying to be all secretive and sneaky about it...I just kind of assumed it. I think everyone else did too, but I don't think it's a bad thing or anything. He's a really cool guy. He seems really confident on stage but I don't think it comes across as cocky or anything...[For people like Adam Lambert and Clay Aiken, that's] up to them, [coming out is] their choice. As long as they're doing music, I think that's their main concern anyway. I know it's always interesting and surprising and shocking when they say those things, but I think that's up to them. It's their lives."

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. David we know your secret. I will embraced you when you reveal like I have done with Adam and Clay.

Posted by: Bill | Jun 11, 2009 12:19:19 PM

2. let the bitterness against gay youth from the old douche queens begin

Posted by: Nelson | Jun 11, 2009 12:26:32 PM

3. He's so cute. If he's gay or not, big deal. He's a good kid.

Posted by: Al | Jun 11, 2009 12:27:54 PM

4. Archuleta translation:

I am NEVER coming out!

Posted by: Bobbi | Jun 11, 2009 12:33:12 PM

5. That was a better comment than Gene Simmons' response today on the local Fox station. He said he liked Adam, but felt it wasn't necessary for Adam to disclose his "sexual preference"--not that there's anything wrong with that; whatever he does in private, yada yada. You know, Gene Simmons of KISS: dressing up like an evil clown and sticking his abnormal tongue in a reporter's ear -- that Gene Simmons, poster child of moral turpitude with a reality show of what he does in private--not that there's anything wrong with that.

Posted by: woodroad34 | Jun 11, 2009 12:33:53 PM

6. Cool little Dude. Hopefully the Bitter Boots here won't get started.

Posted by: Derek Washington | Jun 11, 2009 12:37:02 PM

7. If David himself is gay, the barriers to his coming out are about as steep as they get, what with having a Mormon upbringing and a deeply homophobic father who is also part of his management team (for the time being). I'm not sure David himself even knows what his own situation is, my suspicion is that he has sublimated the entire issue.

In other news, he just released a studio single of his cover of Vanessa Carlton's 1,000 Miles, and Perez is showering love on it today: http://perezhilton.com/2009-06-11-archuleta-does-1000-miles (that's David on piano, too).

Posted by: rascal | Jun 11, 2009 12:37:14 PM

8. Well, why don't you start us off, Nelson. You old queen, you're not fooling anyone.

Posted by: Mary | Jun 11, 2009 12:37:42 PM

9. He seems a great kid with a good heart. Hopefully he will be able to escape the clutches of that creepy father and the Mormons. I hope he really has a great career.

Posted by: David | Jun 11, 2009 12:40:32 PM

10. Isn't David Archuleta a Mormon? Considering the bigotry of that church, David sounds pretty cool. Good for him.

Posted by: Terry | Jun 11, 2009 12:40:43 PM

11. David answered those gossipy quesitons with poise and class. This was taped in Washington, D.C. at the Children Uniting Nation's (CUN) gala where David performed. He was there for a good cause and yet he still had to put up with silly entertainment reporters trying to get a soundbite out of him that they could slap onto their Adam Lambert is gay (shocking!)Access Hollywood tv segments. David is a talented, charming guy and that's refreshing in the entertainment world. Plus his album is good too, I heart him!

Posted by: Brad | Jun 11, 2009 12:43:32 PM

12. Come out, come out whenever your ready Archie....

xo
    Rants, Thoughts & Merde

Posted by: NativeNYker | Jun 11, 2009 12:56:29 PM

13. Nelson, dear, when the broom handle you've stuck up your ass reaches the bristles, stop pushing.

Posted by: crispy | Jun 11, 2009 12:58:13 PM

14. Awww you can just eat him up. I love him.

Posted by: CAJIVA | Jun 11, 2009 12:58:37 PM

15. This kid's classy, smart and just as cute as can be. Brings out the mothering instinct in me.

Posted by: mikeyj | Jun 11, 2009 1:31:48 PM

16. Nicely handled by a nice young man.

Of course, even this will become a source of controversy in Towleroadland! lol

Posted by: Wes | Jun 11, 2009 1:32:57 PM

17. The interviewer missed the obvious and sad fact that David himself is closeted. In the Mormon church David has been taught that people can be born gay, but it is sinful to act on it. David needs to dump the homophobic dad, who travels elsewhere with him and has a spouse and four other kids at home, but that's a whole 'nother story. Although Jeff told fans that he accompanied David to the UK because they needed another technie, I know first-hand that Jeff went on David's UK tour because he heard that one or more of the McFly guys were gay.

Posted by: Serry | Jun 11, 2009 1:52:15 PM

18. Nicolas Ballasy and Splash News are breaking the internet again. They took down the video.

Posted by: Randy | Jun 11, 2009 2:04:12 PM

19. "Archie" is such a cool young man. David Cook always seem to take him under his wing last season and protect him from the evil La Seacrest.

Rumor has it that La Seacrest used walk around with a bucket of KCF and stare at David A and lick his lips and purr "I just looooooove chicken".

On another note:

I see La Nelson still has a crow bar up his today.

Posted by: Tralfaz | Jun 11, 2009 2:22:15 PM

20. I wasn't out David's age, and I didn't have a public persona, a Mormon upbringing or a controlling father for manager. Give the kid a break. I think he's a fantastic role model otherwise, far better than the Spencer and Heidis of the world.

Posted by: Gregoire | Jun 11, 2009 2:22:39 PM

21. @serry First hand, huh? You talked to David's dad personally about that?

Posted by: Joel | Jun 11, 2009 2:25:59 PM

22. oppps s/b KFC not KCF

KCF is "Kentucky Chicken Fucker"

Posted by: Tralfaz | Jun 11, 2009 2:28:09 PM

23. bitch writer totally stole my comment line from youtube!

Watch my music video of David and Mariah!

Posted by: timerty | Jun 11, 2009 2:57:05 PM

24. Poor little fella - so nice, so little luck with such father and upbringing. Can't someone show him "Latter Days" or something?

Posted by: Sam | Jun 11, 2009 3:40:34 PM

25. Does anyone not think that the xian right is trying to infect the pop music scene w lil bible-based musical drones? Now I know all you prissy self-haters will get all lathered up & start defending the Bank of Mormon's biggest bankroller from the Killers...... flame away boys....

Posted by: hadassah weinreb | Jun 11, 2009 4:07:19 PM