Adam Lambert | American Idol | Gene Simmons | I'm Gay | News

BigGayDeal.com

Gene Simmons: Adam Lambert 'Killed His Career' by Coming Out

Simmons_lambert

In a mid-June interview with FOX Philadelphia, Gene Simmons said that Adam Lambert should stop talking about his sexuality.

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

Said Simmons: ""Mostly he should shut up about his sexual preferences. We, America, the rest of the world, really don’t care. I mean, if the story becomes ‘I prefer farm animals to,’ you know, who cares? Be quiet about what it is you do indoors and go out there and sing."

Simmons_lamberrt_2 In a more recent interview, AOL asked Simmons why he was "talking smack" about Lambert:

"I don't think I've been talking smack at all. In fact, if anything, I've been soft-peddling. He's enormously talented, best talent 'American Idol' has had, but I think he killed his career because now the conversation is not about his talent but about his sexual preference. He's done. You're forcing people to deal with issues they may not be interested in. Life is unfair, and the masses don't all live in L.A. They live in Wisconsin and Nebraska, and you're on crack if you think the same rules apply there. My advice is still the same, shut the f*** up, just sing and let people say whatever they want. But I do wish him the best because he's got all the talent in the world. If only the world was not homophobic, but it is. I would be the first one to vote for equal rights for gay women and men, and get the church and the state to stop telling everybody how to lead their lives, but do I think he's killed his career? Oh, in an instant. I hope I'm completely wrong. I hope he becomes the next Beatles and proves me wrong."

Watch Simmons' original interview, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Jeez, let the kid come out with one album before you condemn his entire freaking career. LOL.

I'm sorry, I know nothing about Gene Simmons or Kiss (other than Gene Simmons was in Kiss)... don't even know their music... but that whole remark comes across as homophobic. I hope he was just having a bad interview. Perhaps he should just follow the Golden Rule? Works for me.

Posted by: Ryan | Jun 30, 2009 10:17:47 AM

2. The irony of him saying "Be quiet about what it is you do indoors and go out there and sing" while he's the one airing his "Family Jewels" across television sets around the globe and not wanting to record music until the fans stop file sharing.

Times seem to be quite different now than how Gene sees them. I think Adam may be setting a new standard for not compromising who you are, and is a breath of fresh air. We may never have the likes of the Beatles or Michael Jackson again, but I'm pretty sure Adam's going to do just fine!

Posted by: Jordan | Jun 30, 2009 10:23:51 AM

3. These comments from the man who can't shut up about how many women he has slept with? Who turns practically any interview with a woman into something sleazy and embarrassing?

Does he really think HE is the arbiter of American taste in the 21st century? Puh-Leeze.

Posted by: notshychirev | Jun 30, 2009 10:23:59 AM

4. Sounds like a dinosaur honestly.

Posted by: Wes | Jun 30, 2009 10:31:01 AM

5. He sounds like a moron, but I'm not particularly offended. His heart's in the right place; he's just wrong.

Posted by: Pender | Jun 30, 2009 10:33:42 AM

6. good advice to gene simmons..shut the F@ck up about other peoples sexuality

Posted by: matt | Jun 30, 2009 10:35:08 AM

7. Apparently, Gene Simmons is not aware of the burgeoning Cougar market.

Posted by: crispy | Jun 30, 2009 10:41:23 AM

8. My advice to Gene: drop dead. This guy is so pathetic, he has to protect his "masculinity" by tearing down Adam because he's gay. Heterosexual male identity is the most fragile thing known.

Adam is amazing. I can't wait until his album comes out.

Posted by: Bill | Jun 30, 2009 10:42:32 AM

9. I'd rather someone ruin their career being true to themself rather than "succeed" by hiding. That said, I think the number of votes that got Adam that far on AI proves the mentalitity in Wisconsin and everywhere else is shifting.

Posted by: Jay | Jun 30, 2009 10:46:59 AM

10. What is he talking about? The "masses" actually live in large, liberal, cities ... that is Adam's base to begin with. The American population does not live in Wisconsin and Nebraska (both of which are heading in the liberal direction, anyway)

Posted by: KFLO | Jun 30, 2009 10:51:05 AM

11. I hate to say it, but he's totally right! I know that it's hard for people on the west coast to hear, but mid-america does not want to hear anything homosexual. It's just a fact. But, it's kind of an oxymoron for him to be talking about, Adam not talking about his sexuality. The difference is, Gene has already made a name for himself. So, he's already made his money. Adam hasn't.

Posted by: Leslie | Jun 30, 2009 10:53:51 AM

12. uh, gene? the 70s ended about 30 years ago and people's attitudes have changed somewhat since you were a star. it really is possible in 2009 to be openly gay and have a successful music career.

Posted by: alguien | Jun 30, 2009 10:55:05 AM

13. I don't think he's killed his career. He's just destroyed a potential life of superstardom trapped forever in the closet. His career might be smaller, but most likely more rewarding.

Posted by: Gregoire | Jun 30, 2009 10:56:07 AM

14. Leslie, that is a moronic comment. Your blanket statement about mid america is ridiculous. Ever hear of Iowa? They are actually ahead of CA and NY in the equal rights department. I am surprised to hear Gene talk this way, he has always struck me as intelligent, if perhaps often crass. Adam is talking about his sexuality now because everyone else was during Idol. I'm sure he is as ready as anyone to start letting his music and voice speak for itself. Give this extremely talented young man some space and love!

Posted by: busytimmy | Jun 30, 2009 10:59:48 AM

15. Simmons is an idiot. The subject of Lambert's sexuality was the buzz from the moment he entered the competition. And he DID keep quiet about it through the entire show, in spite of people asking left and right! It was ONLY after Cara and others 'outed' him in interviews that he finally answered the question of "the masses" saying, "Yes, I'm gay."

Simmons needs to put a sock in it and take his own advice.

Posted by: Jon | Jun 30, 2009 11:16:44 AM

16. Sounds jealous to me. He's disgusting and I've never been a fan of Gene Simmons, Kiss was alright as a group.

Maybe he's pissed because Adam has real talent and Gene had to rely on make-up to get anywhere.

Posted by: Bobby | Jun 30, 2009 11:19:37 AM

17. Can we please stop talking about the mid-west as though it's this monolithic, all-powerful kingdom of retarded child-tyrants? Where is it written that just because you live in Nebraska you a) aren't gay, and b) are incapable of evolving consciousness? Sure there are cultural differences but people in "middle-america" are individual, scentient beings, so let's drop this popular mythology and start focusing on the best aspects of people, not the worst.

Posted by: Jeff | Jun 30, 2009 11:21:58 AM

18. " I hope I'm completely wrong."

You are.

Posted by: Kevinvt | Jun 30, 2009 11:22:25 AM

19. I live in Wisconsin. Born and raised. I've never been to either coast in my life. Midwestern boy through and through.

I'm getting irritated with people speaking for middle America. "Mid America doesn't want to hear about anything homosexual". Not only is this horse shit, even if it were true, too fucking bad. You don't have a right to not be offended.

I think it's great that he came out, and I know it means a lot to many, many people, particularly young people, and especially those living in the Midwest and other places where information and role models are more scarce. And I highly doubt it will hurt his career. It's not like he was attempting to break into Christian rock or some shit anyway.

On the other hand, all these aging straight rockers are full of shit if they are going to claim sexuality should have nothing to do with performing. The entire rock star archetype is all about getting laid and fucking groupies for christ's sake. It makes up over 90 percent of their image!

Such hypocrisy.

Posted by: Eshto | Jun 30, 2009 11:25:29 AM

20. Someone posted earlier that Gene Simmons was right. I'm inclined to agree; he may have come across as a bit crass but I believe he means well. I still think he's a hypocrite for saying that Adam shouldn't talk about his sexuality because Gene is not saint either.

Posted by: Terry | Jun 30, 2009 11:26:23 AM

21. Actually, Gene has it backwards. By putting his sexuality on the table (after constant pestering by a juvenile, scandal-hungry media), Adam is basically taking sexuality off the table. Nothing to hide, nothing more to talk about. If he loses some homophobic fans, why would he want them in the first place? Better to live one's life with integrity. When enough people are out, it really becomes, who cares?

What idiots like Gene fail to note is that heterosexuals never shut about about their "sexual preferences" but their blathering is taken for granted. (Kris and Danny's wives certainly weren't kept secret; Gene's reality show is all about his heterosexuality.) Of course Adam probably finds it amusing to be chastised by a washed-up 60 year asshole who's been wearing Halloween costumes and sticking out his tongue for the past several decades.

Posted by: Ernie | Jun 30, 2009 11:29:51 AM

22. Gene Simmons makes me think of Rahm Emmanuel and others in the Obama administration. Still trapped in the thinking of 15, 20, and more years ago, when coming out could really hurt an entertainment career and pushing for LGBT equal rights could lead to a political impasse.

These dead-enders don't want to recognize that society is changing. In Hollywood, a Neil Patrick Harris treats coming out as no big deal, and his career is flourishing. In politics, even a majority of Republicans think gays should be able to serve openly in the military.

Yes, we still have a long way to go, and some segments of the country are much more resistant than others. But the only way to move forward is if all of us ignore the nay-sayers and continue coming out and speaking up.

Posted by: NickC | Jun 30, 2009 11:31:36 AM

23. Will you people stop bashing Gene? Coming from South Carolina, I can 100% agree with him that there are a lot of people who would rather live in denial (of homosexuality, of international affairs on the taxpayer's dime, etc) than have the obvious stated aloud.

Gene is acknowledging Adam is the most brilliantly talented Idol contestant yet. He WANTS the kid to SUCCEED, not be an incredible artist with a *niche* fan base like Mika.

Posted by: Sean Mac | Jun 30, 2009 11:31:47 AM

24. Funny, we use to see Simmons with pretty young boys at Studio 54 in the 80's all the time. There was much talk about him and Christopher Atkins, of Blue Lagoon fame.

Either way, the guys is a douche bag, America, including middle of the country, is changing. Iowa was the first state to pass gay marriage. While CA & NY did not.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Jun 30, 2009 11:42:41 AM

25. The headline got me riled up, but having read the quote in context, I think he's right. Unless Adam wants to build his image as the Gay Rocker, his sexuality is irrelevant. Sexuality should be irrelevant for ALL of us -- that's an ultimate goal.

This is a question of marketing now. If Adam wants to be the Gay Rocker, the way that Gene Simmons marketed himself as a Girl-Crazed Rocker, than he should keep on talking about the boys. But if Adam just wants to be a rocker, and leave the sex as a minor personal detail, then it's time to talk about other things, the way he did during "American Idol."

Posted by: Bakely | Jun 30, 2009 11:44:20 AM