Gay Pride | Gay Slurs | Minneapolis | News

Harassment Caught on Video in the Twin Cities: 'I Hate Gay People'

Harassment

Some disturbing anti-gay harassment in the Twin Cities:

The YouTube poster writes: "My friend and I were leaving the Gay Pride Festival in Minneapolis, MN (6/27/09) and came across a group of Somalian kids who asked my friend if he was gay. When he answered 'yes', they proceeded to harass him and me with verbal threats and even throwing rocks at my friend at one point. Sad.. "

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

(via joe.my.god)

Comments

1. And why is the fact they are "Somalian" of importance?

Posted by: Just Saying... | Jun 30, 2009 4:54:30 PM

2. Epidemic ignorance.

Posted by: Wes | Jun 30, 2009 5:02:43 PM

3. I think it was to highlight them being non-native, and thus outside the norm. Or something.

Posted by: Michaelm | Jun 30, 2009 5:04:29 PM

4. If it just happens to be the case so what is the problem with mentioning it? Is it to be covered up or ignored? Why not focus on their behavior instead of this one point?

Posted by: Rann | Jun 30, 2009 5:04:38 PM

5. Oh, yeah, sorry. Don't offend the Somalians, anyone. We poor faggots wouldn't want to insult them.

Posted by: D.R.H. | Jun 30, 2009 5:05:44 PM

6. How about PISS OFF you stupid wankers!!!! Get out of my face, bitches. What sort of Queer would put up with that shit!@!!!!

Posted by: richard s | Jun 30, 2009 5:07:12 PM

7. Thats what the author of the video wrote in its description, Just Saying.

I hope you're not offended by a mere description of a group of people.

Posted by: Wes | Jun 30, 2009 5:08:09 PM

8. Well, Somalis are the biggest immigrant group in Minneapolis these days. Other than the majority (straight white people) the main groups in Minneapolis are standard African-Americans (i.e. former slave descendants who were born here), gays (Minneapolis is either 3rd or 4th in percentage of gays living in city limits nationwide, after San Francisco and Seattle and maybe one other), college students at the U of M, and Somali immigrants who moved in after 1993. The thing about many of the Somalis is that they are not really used to the normal way of life in Minneapolis, but instead still carry their fundamentalist Islamic values to the extreme. A few years back there were some big scandals such as Somali cab drivers at the airport refusing to carry passengers who had alcohol with them, and Somali cashiers at the Downtown Target refusing to ring up pepperoni pizzas because of the pork. The other groups all seem to get along great in Minneapolis, but sometimes there are issues with the Somalis. I should note that many Somalis are more understanding and "live and let live" but many are not. It is sad to see the kids acting this way, though - they were probably born here. I'd expect that attitude more from the adults.

Posted by: Alex | Jun 30, 2009 5:10:36 PM

9. @just saying - Not sure how the poster of this video knew if that these kids were Somalians but if he knew for sure, then what's wrong with him stating that they are Somalians? Isn't that much more descriptive than just saying African-Americans? Maybe these kids are not even American citizens so technically they are still Somalians. People tend to get over-sensitive when ethnicity/race is being brought up in any context. Get over it.

Posted by: gayalltheway | Jun 30, 2009 5:10:55 PM

10. :rolles eyes: People are really upset with the mention of their nationality??? What next, "No, it's 'Amer-I-can'". Puh-leaze.

Posted by: Cj | Jun 30, 2009 5:12:29 PM

11. I wish I hadn't seen that.

I am impressed the gay guy "turned the other cheek", so to speak.

Those kids will all rot with hate. And, no, I am not just saying that because they are black. The video would have elicited the same response had it been a bunch of cracker kids (which is just as plausible).

Posted by: freddy | Jun 30, 2009 5:12:55 PM

12. Send them back to Somalia. They don't like freedom, fine with me. Let them go back to their Islamic paradise.

Posted by: homogenius | Jun 30, 2009 5:18:07 PM

13. Are those police officers walking by on the sidewalk? (0:57-59) Why didn't they step in?

Posted by: BW | Jun 30, 2009 5:18:42 PM

14. And in other news, teenage boys are still insecure about their sexuality.

Now it's over to Chris for the weather.

Posted by: Donut | Jun 30, 2009 5:19:33 PM

15. JS, Somalia is a country from which many developed countries accept a lot of migrants seeking to flee violence and hateful attitudes. The problem is that these individuals are not screened to see whether they support violence and hatred against OTHERS besides themselves.
    To me this is one of the biggest needs of reform in immigration policy. Those individuals who support and contribute to a peaceful society should have more freedom to immigrate, while those who endanger others and are just seeking more money or safety for themselves should be denied.

Posted by: GregV | Jun 30, 2009 5:20:22 PM

16. Sorry to say, but it is important. When you receive people in your country the state must be certain that they will integrate under its customs and norms for everybody’s good. They could be Americans, but being from abroad, the burden takes another tone, so you don't want haters of any class to add problems to your country. Moreover if the country have its own big dose of hatred. There are millions of good and tolerant people in the world that are not allowed to get into the states, so what makes these little haters more privileged? Are they being coached to become isolated bigots and shit on the country’s values? Yes it’s important. For everybody. For them too.

Posted by: Lexxvs | Jun 30, 2009 5:21:22 PM

17. Was it my imagination or do two cops pass by this guy being harassed by these little bastards about a minute into the video and do nothing??

Posted by: Mark | Jun 30, 2009 5:23:07 PM

18. Cops walked by when the punks were shouting that crap and did NOTHING?

Posted by: 2nd Class Citizen | Jun 30, 2009 5:24:56 PM

19. Even if the article didn't mention they were Somali children, any educated reader, upon hearing this tape, would have made that assumption. The northern plains have the highest concentration of Somali refugees in the nation. Their accents are telling. Stating that they were Somali just confirms what the preponderence of evidence would have suggested anyway.

I only wish the opening paragraph was a little more direct. I would have preferred it say, "A group of Somali children, whose families were driven from their homeland under threat of persecutation and death, are seen in this video practicing that same persecution on a member of the gay community."

It sickens me.

And you can accuse me of being a racist when I say "send them back" but if they were Polish, Brazilian, Russian or English, I would be saying the same darned thing.

Posted by: Tommy | Jun 30, 2009 5:25:01 PM

20. Disgusting. Can any one of you even imagine ever going to another country to live and then forming a little mob to terrorize and threaten the natives? What would happen to you if you did?

And were those police officers in uniforms who walked by this mess?

Posted by: paul c | Jun 30, 2009 5:25:13 PM

21. I think he specified Somalian to seem PC---that is, to indicate they weren't American-born African Americans.

Posted by: Paul R | Jun 30, 2009 5:25:28 PM

22. So, umm, when are the police going to review this video and start making arrests?

Posted by: Pender | Jun 30, 2009 5:27:38 PM

23. Interesting how it almost seems they associate being gay with being white.

They say they hate gay people and start chanting "black power" as if its even relevant.

They are obviously as racist as they are homophobic.

BTW, the people who walked by were not cops. It says this on the youtube page if you follow the link. They were apartment security guards I believe.

Posted by: Wes | Jun 30, 2009 5:28:05 PM

24. You...you....you guys have to stop criticizing those kids and understand and celebrate cultural differences!!

Posted by: Typical Manhattan Gay | Jun 30, 2009 5:28:25 PM

25. Oh, and Richard S? Not engaging a group of a dozen 9-14 year olds is a pretty good response for a seemingly tipsy guy. Though I agree that the cops should have done something. Who knows, things might have turned out differently if the camera wasn't there.

Posted by: Paul R | Jun 30, 2009 5:32:23 PM