Gay Marriage | Liza Minnelli | New York | News

NY Sen. Ruben Diaz Sr. Has Two Gay Brothers and Cries Over Liza

Senator Ruben Diaz, Sr., who has been the staunchest opponent of marriage equality in New York, has two gay brothers and loves Liza Minnelli so much that she brings him to tears, New York magazine reports:

Diazsr "Over the Christmas holiday, Christopher Lynn, a former top Giuliani aide and founding member of the gay and lesbian Stonewall Democratic Club in New York City, took one of his closest friends, a Democratic state senator, to a performance of Liza Minnelli's Broadway show, Liza's at the Palace ... ! During the poignant rendition of Charles Aznavour's drag-queen ballad, "What Makes a Man a Man?" ("I know my life is not a crime/ I'm just a victim of my time"), Lynn turned to his friend and saw that he was choked up. 'Diaz was in tears,' says Lynn. Yes, that Diaz — Bronx senator Ruben Diaz Sr., the Pentecostal Puerto Rican minister and scourge of gay marriage. ... Diaz, who has not one but two gay brothers, says, 'I'm not homophobic. I have a problem with gay marriage. I have no problem with gays.' Even Liza Minnelli won’t change his mind about that, but her deft, shaky hand did stroke at least some part of his soul. 'It touched me, something touched me,' Diaz told New York about the performance that moved him to tears. 'Something got to me.'"

Diaz has promised if Paterson brings marriage equality up for a vote in the Senate he will do "something" and it will be "big".

Comments

1. "Diaz has promised if Paterson brings marriage equality up for a vote in the Senate he will do 'something' and it will be 'big'."

New York, New York? Liza might even lend him the outfit.

Posted by: David D. | Jun 24, 2009 9:33:22 AM

2. I hope Diaz's gay brothers have some blackmail material on Diaz and that they plan to do something "big" also.

Posted by: Frank | Jun 24, 2009 9:41:28 AM

3. What a charming man.

Posted by: Yeek | Jun 24, 2009 9:42:12 AM

4. So we are supposed to excuse his hatred and discrimination because he has 2 gay siblings and likes Liza?
    I fail to see the logic.

Posted by: Robert | Jun 24, 2009 10:04:29 AM

5. QUEEN!

Posted by: BEN | Jun 24, 2009 10:16:14 AM

6. It all makes sense now.

His own sexuality is making him hate.

Come out come out wherever you are!

Posted by: Marc | Jun 24, 2009 10:17:32 AM

7. Chris Lynn has always been an asshole.

Posted by: Jeff NYC | Jun 24, 2009 10:25:01 AM

8. Who said evil isn't ugly?

Posted by: ggreen | Jun 24, 2009 10:26:32 AM

9. The standard bigot defense. Trot out the gay relatives. Yeah, yeah, you love your gay relatives, you just don't want them to have equal rights. There is only one thing worse than a bigot, and that's a hypocritical bigot.

Posted by: Wayne | Jun 24, 2009 10:32:19 AM

10. Its funny how he can't correlate having something against gay marriage with having something against gays!

That is the classic selective Latino vision. Only see what we want.

xo
    Rants, Thoughts & Merde

Posted by: NativeNYker | Jun 24, 2009 10:40:32 AM

11. So he says 'I'm not homophobic. I have a problem with gay marriage. I have no problem with gays.'... well you know what? I have no problem with bigots (well at least I accept that they exist) but I have a problem when they ACT on their bigotry. None of us can change who we are, Senator Bigot, but we do have control over how our actions impact others, and obviously you do not even care enough about your gay siblings (let alone the rest of us) to want to grant them full rights. Nice... with a brother like you, who needs enemies?

Posted by: CKNJ | Jun 24, 2009 10:54:19 AM

12. Maybe Liza could give him a quick call and have a little heart to heart with him. No, I'm serious. Well, kinda.

Posted by: BobC562 | Jun 24, 2009 11:11:24 AM

13. NATIVENYKER:

You are as bigoted as Ruben Diaz.

Posted by: Gabriel | Jun 24, 2009 11:14:01 AM

14. Closet case. Period, end sentence. No straight guy was ever brought to tears by Liza.

Posted by: christopher | Jun 24, 2009 11:15:12 AM

15. I hope Diaz's gay brothers have some blackmail material on Diaz and that they plan to do something "big" also.

Doubt it will. This story refers to something from seven months ago. It speaks volumes about the Uncle Tom's in our community, letting someone run roughshod and these guys are waving a pass.

Posted by: Nelson G | Jun 24, 2009 11:29:39 AM

16. I call his bluff. Who are his brothers? Can someone interview them? Do they stand by their brother's claim that he is not homophobic?

Posted by: RDM | Jun 24, 2009 11:40:01 AM

17. Liza makes him cry?

God, he's gayer than me.

I'm still laughing at David D.'s comment.

"Start spreadin' the news..."

Posted by: Wes | Jun 24, 2009 11:48:57 AM

18. Jeeze, what's her problem?

Posted by: ichabod | Jun 24, 2009 12:00:30 PM

19. Yeah Chris Lynn is such an asshole! He and Perez Hilton are such drama queens and self promoting attention whores

Posted by: Alanis Antonette | Jun 24, 2009 12:28:32 PM

20. I don't find this article useful or relevant. So he has gay brothers. I should hope having a special insight into how "the fight against gay marriage" would disenfranchise them would make him at least more ambivalent about raking gay people who simply want to be able to take care of their families over the coals. Its nice that the guy has gay friends he goes to see Liza with. I couldn't give a toss. This guy is using his political power to disenfranchize, and I think the gay people in his life should be taking him to task for it. That is, unless they're just on the Christmas card list for convenient articles.

The quote "Some of my best friends/family/co-workers are gay...but I don't think they deserve the same things I deserve" is so patently disengenuine I don't comprehend how these "friends" don't call him on it.

Posted by: g_whiz | Jun 24, 2009 12:30:42 PM

21. I'm no fan of Sharpton, but maybe Al can set an example to Diaz and others how to bridge social conservatism with civil equality.

Posted by: dm10003 | Jun 24, 2009 6:15:01 PM

22. My hubby and I were just wondering what happened to that SLEAZEBALL Christopher Lynn...ah, gay sellouts from the past.

Posted by: LittleBearNYC | Jun 25, 2009 12:40:29 AM