Crime | Gay Slurs | GLAAD | News | Will.i.am

BigGayDeal.com

Perez Hilton Releases Statement After GLAAD Calls for Apology

Hiltonassault

Following calls from GLAAD to apologize for using the word "faggot" during the alleged assault on him by Black Eyed Peas manager Polo Molina, Perez Hilton released a statement late yesterday.

Hilton's statement, AFTER THE JUMP...

Of course Bill O'Reilly and Greg Gutfeld of Red Eye had something to say about the incident.

STATEMENT from PEREZ HILTON

"Words can hurt. I know that very well, from both sides of the fence. The other night in Toronto, after feeling physically threatened by a verbally abusive Will.I.Am of the Black Eyed Peas, I chose the most hurtful word I know to hurl at him. I was in an out-of-the ordinary situaton and used a word that I would not utter under normal circumstances. My intention - however misguided it may have been - was to stand up for myself and tell this belligerent man that I had enough of his badgering and was not going to continue to let him berate and intimidate me. I wanted to hurt him with the word I chose, not anyone else. Unfortunately, the one who got hurt was me and, subsequently, a lot of other people. I wish none of it had happened. I can't take it back. I did what I thought was best at the moment to stand up for myself in a non-violent yet still assertive way.

Clearly, I am not homophobic. Also, I am not nor have I ever claimed to be a spokesperson for the gay community. I am just speaking for myself, a gay man. One who is labeled "flamboyant" in the media. An American that is not granted equal rights under the law. I will continue to speak out for equality and I will continue to say things that upset both gay people and straight people. Who I am as a person and what I do for a living are two separate things. I've come to terms with all my incongruities and am proud of who I am and what I do.

In closing, words can hurt. But words should not provoke someone to violence. Stripped away from the mask of Perez Hilton, I have been extremely bothered by the public reaction to my assault. Violence should never be condoned with such statements as "It's Karma" or "I don't believe in violence but….". In fact, several television and radio shows over the past couple of days echoed the sentiment "He had it coming". Would they have said the same thing if I was a woman? Would I have "deserved it" if I had been stabbed? Or shot? Or killed? I was attacked from behind without warning and repeatedly punched in the head in a cold, disgusting and unnecessarily violent manner by Polo Molina, the road manager for the Black Eyed Peas, who I did not even speak with that evening. I did not share any words with him and his assault on me was completely unprovoked. I feel like everything happens for a reason and I leave this traumatic experience as a person with more compassion. Specifically, there was an instance last year when actor Jesse Metcalfe was attacked outside of a Hollywood nightclub by a fellow entertainer. I did not condone the violence, but I did make light of that situation. I regret that. Sincerely.

There are many ways to deal with disagreements, both good and bad, but violence is never the answer. Never. I now know that first-hand. It should not be condoned, promoted or accepted. No one "deserves" to be the victim of violence. No one "has it coming." NO ONE. And victims should not be ridiculed. I look forward to marching for equality in Washington, D.C. this October. And I look forward to standing up for my rights in a Toronto courtroom shortly, as I fully intend to seek every lawful remedy against the man that attacked me."

(source)

Comments

1. WTF DUDE?

if he doesnt want to be attacked, then he should've walked away.

calling a person names WILL get them upset and them kicking your ass is likely. he knows that. fucking idiot

Posted by: peter | Jun 24, 2009 9:12:46 AM

2. 14:57...

Posted by: Harrison | Jun 24, 2009 9:14:07 AM

3. Words SHOULDN'T provoke violence, but you're a dumbass if you think they don't. Karma is a cold bitch.

Posted by: ChristopherM | Jun 24, 2009 9:18:18 AM

4. Still reporting on this completely useless pile of shit? Just because he's gay doesn't make him interesting to gay people.

Posted by: JoeJoe | Jun 24, 2009 9:19:02 AM

5. I don't get it. Why is this news? Perez Hilton is nothing more than an embarrassment, and now that we know he's calling people faggots, well...seriously why do I need to know about this guy?

Posted by: Sean | Jun 24, 2009 9:27:28 AM

6. FAGGOT is a violent word, Mr. Hilton.

Posted by: david ciminello | Jun 24, 2009 9:27:59 AM

7. He chose a word that others have used to denigrate and demean other gay men. He admitted it. He undermines the very movement of which he claims to be a part. He needs to go.

Posted by: Mitch | Jun 24, 2009 9:40:31 AM

8. GLAAD calls for an apology, and he dances around still claiming the mantle of victimhood and says he did nothing wrong.

You called someone "the most hurtful word [you] know" and when called on it, refuse to apologize to everyone ELSE who was hurt by its use?

Asshole.

Or here's a phrase you might relate to: you stupid cunt.

Posted by: tjc | Jun 24, 2009 9:44:48 AM

9. What a fucking whiner. And to think that some of my fellow queers have defended this embarrassment for his supposed "bravery." This is the same man who had no misgivings about purchasing and uploading Dustin Lance Black's private sex pictures. We have him to thank for turning Carrie Prejean into a martyr for the enemy, and now this.

Posted by: Rick | Jun 24, 2009 9:56:50 AM

10. assault is a fucking crime, people. plus, it was not will.i.am, the guy he was having the argument with, who hit him. it was his manager who cold-cocked him. that makes the crime more detestable.

Posted by: nic | Jun 24, 2009 10:11:44 AM

11. Are we all in unison w/ Bill O'Reilly and Fox News about Perez?

Wow ... never expected that.

Posted by: Al | Jun 24, 2009 10:12:24 AM

12. Let's also not forget that he's admitted publicly that he chose the word he thought would dig deepest and provoke the most emotional reaction. Chose to provoke. So much for making that "anti-gay" assault charge stick. A good lawyer will take care of that.

RE: words should never provoke violence, I call bullshit. If somebody tells me to my face that my mother's a whore I'm going to beat him into the ground. If somebody calls me a faggot he'll at the very least one or two upside the head. With no apologies.

Posted by: Clay | Jun 24, 2009 10:12:30 AM

13. "Victims should not be ridiculed" I found that the most interesting part of the speech, and, not surprisingly, the most hypocritical. This bigot (I think he's earned that title) has made a career off of ridiculing celebrities, more often than not when they are victims of their own drug abuse (i'm thinking lohan) or anorexia (lohan again, just for an example), and countless other people. I hate it when gay people use the word 'faggot' in jest, but the way that he hurled the word at Will.I.am was as hateful as when any heterosexist anti gay person says it. He does not deserve our sympathy just because he's gay. He's a vicious nasty person... and while I don't condone violence, I also don't condone asking for it and then bitching when you get what you deserve.

Posted by: omgyawu | Jun 24, 2009 10:28:06 AM

14. This guy makes a handsome living out of "verbally" assaulting people on his site everyday, yet complains when someone finally "physically" assaults him because they are tired of his shit! Seems like he finally got what he has brought upon himself. And as for him making Ms. Preejean into a martyr, remember he was the one who asked her the question that he did not like her response. She is entitled to her own opinion even if others do not like it, and he certainly did not give her the space and room to rethink or rephrase her thought when he backed her into a corner where she had little choice but to defend herself. It would have been interesting to see if she would have been more moderate in the days after had the trash talking Perez not gone on a full attack.

Posted by: JC | Jun 24, 2009 10:28:45 AM

15. Memo to Greg Gutfeld, Pot, kettle Black. You and Adam (gay adjacent) Corollla need to get a room.

Posted by: ggreen | Jun 24, 2009 10:31:31 AM

16. So sincere! Wonder who helped him write it? I'm sure his original "apology" went something like "Me sory he faggit" and had little cum stains drawn all over it before his social worker rewrote it.

Has "Perez" apologized to Isaiah Thomas yet? He lost the lucrative job with which he was supporting his family for using the same word. Mario was full of outrage and hate for him though, wasn't he?

Such hypocrisy.

Just like Andy Towle having a link to Perez Hilton's gay hating, gay bashing, misogynistic woman bashing, racist hatesite. You can't even excuse it by claiming that there's some intrinsically worthwhile or redeeming quality about that site -- its pure hate. Like so many people have said about Perez, there is such a thing as KARMA, and that applies to people who promote him and support his sickness.

Posted by: paul c | Jun 24, 2009 10:35:14 AM

17. Does Andy even participate in his own blog aside from posting stories? Kind of defeats the purpose of a blog. One sided news stories can be had on 365gay

Posted by: EgOiStE | Jun 24, 2009 10:42:39 AM

18. The person gets ZERO empathy from me. Go away already! He cannot possibly comprehend the damage that he has done to the gay community.

Posted by: David in Houston | Jun 24, 2009 11:10:27 AM

19. sometimes the karma bus just jumps the curb and flattens you, perez. it's never very pretty or much fun.

Posted by: psgoodguy | Jun 24, 2009 11:17:51 AM

20. "sometimes the karma bus just jumps the curb and flattens you, perez. it's never very pretty or much fun."

Unless of course that streetcar also happens to be named schadenfreude, and then it can be mildly entertaining if not still a little sad.

Posted by: Giovanni | Jun 24, 2009 11:34:11 AM

21. Hmmm. Struggled with "Perez" the personality for years... but would read his blog almost daily (skipping a lot of the posts). Recently with his "outing" of the DLB sex tape and his relentless name calling of those who are overweight and FINALLY this bullshit, has made me remove his site from my favorites and will not look at it again. I agree with Harrison, 14:57.

Bad move, Perez. Bad move.

Posted by: SFScottie | Jun 24, 2009 11:34:42 AM

22. TOWLEROAD... de-link to the Perez site!
    The flea-collar isn't working anymore.

Posted by: NSFW | Jun 24, 2009 11:38:33 AM

23. This is ridiculous already. He is a Hypocrite and should be ashamed of himself now hes upset that people are poking fun and slurring him?? Thats what he does for a living.......
    Whats good for the goose is good for the gander.
    Suck it up.

Posted by: TF | Jun 24, 2009 11:38:39 AM

24. Perez got what was coming to him.

Here's a hilarious take on the whole situation.

Posted by: sd619guy | Jun 24, 2009 11:43:34 AM

25. Here's my statement to Perez: Fuck you.

You felt physically threatened by will.i.am? If I were to feel physically threatened by someone, I certainly wouldn't try to provoke him, and I certainly wouldn't call him a faggot.

I feel absolutely no sympathy for this piece of shit. Andy, please de-link him from your blog.

Posted by: another matt | Jun 24, 2009 11:58:57 AM