Perez Hilton Releases Statement After GLAAD Calls for Apology

STATEMENT from PEREZ HILTON

"Words can hurt. I know that
very well, from both sides of the fence. The other night in Toronto,
after feeling physically threatened by a verbally abusive Will.I.Am of
the Black Eyed Peas, I chose the most hurtful word I know to hurl at
him. I was in an out-of-the ordinary situaton and used a word that I
would not utter under normal circumstances. My intention – however
misguided it may have been – was to stand up for myself and tell this
belligerent man that I had enough of his badgering and was not going to
continue to let him berate and intimidate me. I wanted to hurt him with
the word I chose, not anyone else. Unfortunately, the one who got hurt
was me and, subsequently, a lot of other people. I wish none of it had
happened. I can't take it back. I did what I thought was best at the
moment to stand up for myself in a non-violent yet still assertive way.

Clearly, I am not homophobic. Also, I am not nor have I ever claimed to
be a spokesperson for the gay community. I am just speaking for myself,
a gay man. One who is labeled "flamboyant" in the media. An American
that is not granted equal rights under the law. I will continue to
speak out for equality and I will continue to say things that upset
both gay people and straight people. Who I am as a person and what I do
for a living are two separate things. I've come to terms with all my
incongruities and am proud of who I am and what I do.

In closing, words
can hurt. But words should not provoke someone to violence. Stripped
away from the mask of Perez Hilton, I have been extremely bothered by
the public reaction to my assault. Violence should never be condoned
with such statements as "It's Karma" or "I don't believe in violence
but….". In fact, several television and radio shows over the past couple of days echoed the sentiment "He
had it coming". Would they have said the same thing if I was a woman?
Would I have "deserved it" if I had been stabbed? Or shot? Or killed? I
was attacked from behind without warning and repeatedly punched in the
head in a cold, disgusting and unnecessarily violent manner by Polo
Molina, the road manager for the Black Eyed Peas, who I did not even
speak with that evening. I did not share any words with him and his
assault on me was completely unprovoked. I feel like everything happens
for a reason and I leave this traumatic experience as a person with
more compassion. Specifically, there was an instance last year when
actor Jesse Metcalfe was attacked outside of a Hollywood nightclub by a
fellow entertainer. I did not condone the violence, but I did make
light of that situation. I regret that. Sincerely.

There are many ways
to deal with disagreements, both good and bad, but violence is never
the answer. Never. I now know that first-hand. It should not be
condoned, promoted or accepted. No one "deserves" to be the victim of
violence. No one "has it coming." NO ONE. And victims should not be
ridiculed. I look forward to marching for equality in Washington, D.C.
this October. And I look forward to standing up for my rights in a
Toronto courtroom shortly, as I fully intend to seek every lawful
remedy against the man that attacked me."

(source)

Comments

1. peter says

WTF DUDE?

if he doesnt want to be attacked, then he should’ve walked away.

calling a person names WILL get them upset and them kicking your ass is likely. he knows that. fucking idiot

2. JoeJoe says

Still reporting on this completely useless pile of shit? Just because he’s gay doesn’t make him interesting to gay people.

3. Sean says

I don’t get it. Why is this news? Perez Hilton is nothing more than an embarrassment, and now that we know he’s calling people faggots, well…seriously why do I need to know about this guy?

4. Mitch says

He chose a word that others have used to denigrate and demean other gay men. He admitted it. He undermines the very movement of which he claims to be a part. He needs to go.

5. tjc says

GLAAD calls for an apology, and he dances around still claiming the mantle of victimhood and says he did nothing wrong.

You called someone “the most hurtful word [you] know” and when called on it, refuse to apologize to everyone ELSE who was hurt by its use?

Asshole.

Or here’s a phrase you might relate to: you stupid cunt.

6. Rick says

What a fucking whiner. And to think that some of my fellow queers have defended this embarrassment for his supposed “bravery.” This is the same man who had no misgivings about purchasing and uploading Dustin Lance Black’s private sex pictures. We have him to thank for turning Carrie Prejean into a martyr for the enemy, and now this.

7. nic says

assault is a fucking crime, people. plus, it was not will.i.am, the guy he was having the argument with, who hit him. it was his manager who cold-cocked him. that makes the crime more detestable.

8. Al says

Are we all in unison w/ Bill O’Reilly and Fox News about Perez?

Wow … never expected that.

9. Clay says

Let’s also not forget that he’s admitted publicly that he chose the word he thought would dig deepest and provoke the most emotional reaction. Chose to provoke. So much for making that “anti-gay” assault charge stick. A good lawyer will take care of that.

RE: words should never provoke violence, I call bullshit. If somebody tells me to my face that my mother’s a whore I’m going to beat him into the ground. If somebody calls me a faggot he’ll at the very least one or two upside the head. With no apologies.

10. omgyawu says

“Victims should not be ridiculed” I found that the most interesting part of the speech, and, not surprisingly, the most hypocritical. This bigot (I think he’s earned that title) has made a career off of ridiculing celebrities, more often than not when they are victims of their own drug abuse (i’m thinking lohan) or anorexia (lohan again, just for an example), and countless other people. I hate it when gay people use the word ‘faggot’ in jest, but the way that he hurled the word at Will.I.am was as hateful as when any heterosexist anti gay person says it. He does not deserve our sympathy just because he’s gay. He’s a vicious nasty person… and while I don’t condone violence, I also don’t condone asking for it and then bitching when you get what you deserve.

11. JC says

This guy makes a handsome living out of “verbally” assaulting people on his site everyday, yet complains when someone finally “physically” assaults him because they are tired of his shit! Seems like he finally got what he has brought upon himself. And as for him making Ms. Preejean into a martyr, remember he was the one who asked her the question that he did not like her response. She is entitled to her own opinion even if others do not like it, and he certainly did not give her the space and room to rethink or rephrase her thought when he backed her into a corner where she had little choice but to defend herself. It would have been interesting to see if she would have been more moderate in the days after had the trash talking Perez not gone on a full attack.

12. ggreen says

Memo to Greg Gutfeld, Pot, kettle Black. You and Adam (gay adjacent) Corollla need to get a room.

13. paul c says

So sincere! Wonder who helped him write it? I’m sure his original “apology” went something like “Me sory he faggit” and had little cum stains drawn all over it before his social worker rewrote it.

Has “Perez” apologized to Isaiah Thomas yet? He lost the lucrative job with which he was supporting his family for using the same word. Mario was full of outrage and hate for him though, wasn’t he?

Such hypocrisy.

Just like Andy Towle having a link to Perez Hilton’s gay hating, gay bashing, misogynistic woman bashing, racist hatesite. You can’t even excuse it by claiming that there’s some intrinsically worthwhile or redeeming quality about that site — its pure hate. Like so many people have said about Perez, there is such a thing as KARMA, and that applies to people who promote him and support his sickness.

14. EgOiStE says

Does Andy even participate in his own blog aside from posting stories? Kind of defeats the purpose of a blog. One sided news stories can be had on 365gay

15. David in Houston says

The person gets ZERO empathy from me. Go away already! He cannot possibly comprehend the damage that he has done to the gay community.

16. psgoodguy says

17. Giovanni says

“sometimes the karma bus just jumps the curb and flattens you, perez. it’s never very pretty or much fun.”

Unless of course that streetcar also happens to be named schadenfreude, and then it can be mildly entertaining if not still a little sad.

18. SFScottie says

Hmmm. Struggled with “Perez” the personality for years… but would read his blog almost daily (skipping a lot of the posts). Recently with his “outing” of the DLB sex tape and his relentless name calling of those who are overweight and FINALLY this bullshit, has made me remove his site from my favorites and will not look at it again. I agree with Harrison, 14:57.

Bad move, Perez. Bad move.

19. TF says

This is ridiculous already. He is a Hypocrite and should be ashamed of himself now hes upset that people are poking fun and slurring him?? Thats what he does for a living…….
    Whats good for the goose is good for the gander.
    Suck it up.

20. another matt says

Here’s my statement to Perez: Fuck you.

You felt physically threatened by will.i.am? If I were to feel physically threatened by someone, I certainly wouldn’t try to provoke him, and I certainly wouldn’t call him a faggot.

I feel absolutely no sympathy for this piece of shit. Andy, please de-link him from your blog.

21. g_whiz says

I only know one person who consistantly follows Perez Hilton and goes to him as a newssource, and he’s a straight republican. With that in mind, I can’t help thinking the snide, self interested social climbing the guy does doesn’t make the lot of us look any better in comparison. If people attach being gay to his…well, being a colossal douchebag then we’re in a worse PR problem than earlier thought. And for the record, no, not all gay men are gossipy, acidic and vindictive. And no gay person I know finds being compared to Perez remotley flattering.

22. Mikey says

Since Perez twittered to his “fans” to call the police for him……I wonder if anyone else died as the phone lines were tied up due to his “fans” placing numerous calls on his behalf. Perhaps someone that really needed police assistance was not able to receive the assistance.

Perez is a jerk and this whole thing was manufactured by him – look at the publicity that he is getting.

He is NOT my spokesperson.

23. robert ryan says

Certainly violence is never the answer,but making deliberately
    provocative slurs have consequences. If he wanted to avoid confrontation he should have walked away! This is what happens
    when one becomes a provocatour either in print or on the internet.
    I can’t help but think- that he is being more than a little disingenuous when he makes statements like” who I am is not what
    I do for aliving”. On the contrary-by his actions he proves that what he does is exactly what he is.

24. Rami says

bitter hateful queens. all of you. I can’t believe the outright hypocritical and obvious self-loathing apparent in this gang bash of Perez Hilton. don’t hate.

25. Bobby says

Have those “ass-hat” commentators reporting about the “ass-hat” Perez is the ultimate irony. Adam Corrolla is a fuck-wad and the rest of them just slightly less than that.

Perez should apologize. But hopefully this will help end his power trip and humble him a little.

I’ve got no use for him.

26. kG says

Perez the chickens have come home to roost. Faggot used the way you used it, to incite–you did it purposely to provoke–has consequences. ANYONE who calls someone a faggot to their face deserves to be clocked. Forget ALL this “violence isn’t the answer”. Mathew Sheppard was BASHED, Perez had a “come to Jesus moment.” Cause and effect. Karma.
    Perez said it felt like his eye was coming out of his head? REALLY?? This was probably the first hit he’s ever taken. He attacks people daily on his blog. And what is the ‘THUG’ reference regarding Will. I. AM? Why? Because he asked you to stop being disrespectful about him and his work? Then I’m a thug too, because I’m disgusted by Perez’s bully pulpit of a blog. Does Will’s race have anything do do with it? Will. I. Am never touched him. Polo Molino (the manager did…And turned himself in). These are not THUGS. This isn’t a “gangsta rapper”. These are people who had enough and lashed out. Perez is the THUG for hiding behind the computer and taking shots at people. Last point, didn’t Perez make fun of Jesse Metcalf when he was assulted in front of a club in LA? Didn’t he call for the firing of Isiah Washington for using the same “faggot” slur toward T.R. Knight?CHICKENS COME HOME TO ROOST, PEREZ. Suck it up!

27. bryanD says

This jerk is still whining about equality? Between the Miss America fiasco and this incident, he’s only set us back. He’s pathetic in his need for fame through whatever sordid means…he’s famous for writing awful things on celebrities’ pictures, most of whom actually are famous for some kind of talent. STFU Perez and go get some treatment or rehab…

28. Sharon says

So the self serving crybaby Perez is all upset because the gay community has not jumped on his hypocritical bandwagon. Pereztard has spent the last several years verbally assaulting women, gays, politicians and anyone that does not pander to his twisted way of thinking. Now after verbally punching people around he got sucker punched in his fat face and he expects us in the gay community to have sympathy for him. News for you dickwad, we don’t! You are an embarrassment to the gay community!

29. adamblast says

I have no respect for either or these stupidly-self-named and self-important douchebags. I *had* some for Adams at one point, but he’s lost it. Neither one can fade into obscurity fast enough at this point.

30. Shae says

Why are you people so against Perez yea he is a media douche that does not mean he needs to get punched for it. He is just a blogger and if everyone went up and punched a blogger because they did not like what they said then alot of people would be in jail….i would have killed O’douchbag already, even though he is not a blogger… that fucker!

31. Jason says

I’m overweight, just like Perez, and would no doubt be called FAT on his web site. He sickens me. What sickens me even more is him saying “I am not nor have I ever claimed to be a spokesperson for the gay community.” Um… what? That’s EXACTLY what you claimed to be when you went on countless talk shows and made the media circuit during the Prejean debacle. JUST GO AWAY. PLEASE.

32. g_whiz says

Since you asked, I’m against people using “the most hurtful word they can think of” as a way to wind someone up, and then being shocked and dismayed by the response. Having been called a faggot a few times, I think its deeply fucked up on Perez’s part to throw that slur out there and then be suprised at the reprocussions. What’s more, its not about him being a vindictive social climber, hell, the world is full of them. Its that if someone called HIM a faggot he’d be screaming bloody murder. Or at least tweeting it. One can’t have it both ways.

33. JalanGaio says

“FAGGOT” is just six letters. The word has no violence or power unless you choose to give it such. Own the word and it loses all power. “I am a faggot!!”… BIG WOOP!!!

34. Maverick69 says

Perez Hilton = the 21st Century new disease. He’s set back the gay community 25 years before the AIDS crisis.

35. Cameron Johnson says

If he simply wanted justice — not further fame, then why did he blame Will.i.Am for the attack initially instead of Polo Molina? Bring on the publicity!

36. mike says

Dear Perez,

You’re still scum. And you deserved what you got. You provoked the whole thing and you are too much of a wussy to stand up for yourself. You got yourself into that mess. Be a man (if you can) and STFU.

37. David says

HMMMM….Perez said this is a first time incident? He really needs to watch his mouth– and stop smoking crack.
    He called Carrie Prejean a stupid bitch moments after she gave her idiotic response at the Miss USA pageant. Yes she is not the brightest bulb in the chandelier — but as a public figure (and role model — whether you ask for it or not — in the public eye and you are) Perez needs to act in a more professional manner. His actions on his website (more like a 13 year old girl than a man ) are one thing..that is his space…but go out in public where you can be seen and heard and your words can incite violence. Try going up to some black man and use the “N” word…see if he does not smash your face in. Justified perhaps not, expected of course. So Perez basically shows how immature and stupid he really is. I hope this finally does his stupid inane career in….At least Paris Hilton is famous for being famous, Perez is famous for covering the famous for being famous. How odd.

38. Trevor says

ROTFLMAO at that video of Perez screeching like that other moron about ‘Leave Britney Alone!’ They both are bleach blonde morons. Hopefully we will see Perez’s bubble burst and he will fade into oblivion where he belongs. He has set us back as a community in the filth he publishes and in his actions. The gay community does not care for him!

39. dvdinorl says

Perez –

It’s amazing how much cleaner I feel now that I’m not reading your blog. I think everyone should try living without you.

40. Paul R says

Trevor, that is precisely what I thought while watching him screech and stutter, and I’m surprised that no one else mentioned it sooner. Hysterical histrionics.

I don’t agree that he’s set back our community. Most people outside very secluded areas know or have at least met (or at related to) a few gay people, and I think most people know that gays aren’t a monoculture. He’s basically a gay Geraldo Rivera: opportunistic, attention loving, and sickening, a pathetic tabloid “journalist.” Remember when Geraldo got his nose broken and made a big deal about it? Same story, different decade.

41. Toro Castano says

People in this thread are mistaking karma for retribution. I also get the impression that they’ve not bothered to read the post, much less in its entirety. When you guys smell blood you really go into a feeding frenzy.