Crime | Gay Slurs | GLAAD | News | Will.i.am

Perez Hilton Releases Statement After GLAAD Calls for Apology

Hiltonassault

Following calls from GLAAD to apologize for using the word "faggot" during the alleged assault on him by Black Eyed Peas manager Polo Molina, Perez Hilton released a statement late yesterday.

Hilton's statement, AFTER THE JUMP...

Of course Bill O'Reilly and Greg Gutfeld of Red Eye had something to say about the incident.

STATEMENT from PEREZ HILTON

"Words can hurt. I know that very well, from both sides of the fence. The other night in Toronto, after feeling physically threatened by a verbally abusive Will.I.Am of the Black Eyed Peas, I chose the most hurtful word I know to hurl at him. I was in an out-of-the ordinary situaton and used a word that I would not utter under normal circumstances. My intention - however misguided it may have been - was to stand up for myself and tell this belligerent man that I had enough of his badgering and was not going to continue to let him berate and intimidate me. I wanted to hurt him with the word I chose, not anyone else. Unfortunately, the one who got hurt was me and, subsequently, a lot of other people. I wish none of it had happened. I can't take it back. I did what I thought was best at the moment to stand up for myself in a non-violent yet still assertive way.

Clearly, I am not homophobic. Also, I am not nor have I ever claimed to be a spokesperson for the gay community. I am just speaking for myself, a gay man. One who is labeled "flamboyant" in the media. An American that is not granted equal rights under the law. I will continue to speak out for equality and I will continue to say things that upset both gay people and straight people. Who I am as a person and what I do for a living are two separate things. I've come to terms with all my incongruities and am proud of who I am and what I do.

In closing, words can hurt. But words should not provoke someone to violence. Stripped away from the mask of Perez Hilton, I have been extremely bothered by the public reaction to my assault. Violence should never be condoned with such statements as "It's Karma" or "I don't believe in violence but….". In fact, several television and radio shows over the past couple of days echoed the sentiment "He had it coming". Would they have said the same thing if I was a woman? Would I have "deserved it" if I had been stabbed? Or shot? Or killed? I was attacked from behind without warning and repeatedly punched in the head in a cold, disgusting and unnecessarily violent manner by Polo Molina, the road manager for the Black Eyed Peas, who I did not even speak with that evening. I did not share any words with him and his assault on me was completely unprovoked. I feel like everything happens for a reason and I leave this traumatic experience as a person with more compassion. Specifically, there was an instance last year when actor Jesse Metcalfe was attacked outside of a Hollywood nightclub by a fellow entertainer. I did not condone the violence, but I did make light of that situation. I regret that. Sincerely.

There are many ways to deal with disagreements, both good and bad, but violence is never the answer. Never. I now know that first-hand. It should not be condoned, promoted or accepted. No one "deserves" to be the victim of violence. No one "has it coming." NO ONE. And victims should not be ridiculed. I look forward to marching for equality in Washington, D.C. this October. And I look forward to standing up for my rights in a Toronto courtroom shortly, as I fully intend to seek every lawful remedy against the man that attacked me."

(source)

Comments

1. I only know one person who consistantly follows Perez Hilton and goes to him as a newssource, and he's a straight republican. With that in mind, I can't help thinking the snide, self interested social climbing the guy does doesn't make the lot of us look any better in comparison. If people attach being gay to his...well, being a colossal douchebag then we're in a worse PR problem than earlier thought. And for the record, no, not all gay men are gossipy, acidic and vindictive. And no gay person I know finds being compared to Perez remotley flattering.

Posted by: g_whiz | Jun 24, 2009 12:18:31 PM

2. Since Perez twittered to his "fans" to call the police for him......I wonder if anyone else died as the phone lines were tied up due to his "fans" placing numerous calls on his behalf. Perhaps someone that really needed police assistance was not able to receive the assistance.

Perez is a jerk and this whole thing was manufactured by him - look at the publicity that he is getting.

He is NOT my spokesperson.

Posted by: Mikey | Jun 24, 2009 12:25:21 PM

3. Certainly violence is never the answer,but making deliberately
    provocative slurs have consequences. If he wanted to avoid confrontation he should have walked away! This is what happens
    when one becomes a provocatour either in print or on the internet.
    I can't help but think- that he is being more than a little disingenuous when he makes statements like" who I am is not what
    I do for aliving". On the contrary-by his actions he proves that what he does is exactly what he is.

Posted by: robert ryan | Jun 24, 2009 12:36:09 PM

4. bitter hateful queens. all of you. I can't believe the outright hypocritical and obvious self-loathing apparent in this gang bash of Perez Hilton. don't hate.

Posted by: Rami | Jun 24, 2009 12:36:46 PM

5. Have those "ass-hat" commentators reporting about the "ass-hat" Perez is the ultimate irony. Adam Corrolla is a fuck-wad and the rest of them just slightly less than that.

Perez should apologize. But hopefully this will help end his power trip and humble him a little.

I've got no use for him.

Posted by: Bobby | Jun 24, 2009 12:38:53 PM

6. Perez the chickens have come home to roost. Faggot used the way you used it, to incite--you did it purposely to provoke--has consequences. ANYONE who calls someone a faggot to their face deserves to be clocked. Forget ALL this "violence isn't the answer". Mathew Sheppard was BASHED, Perez had a "come to Jesus moment." Cause and effect. Karma.
    Perez said it felt like his eye was coming out of his head? REALLY?? This was probably the first hit he's ever taken. He attacks people daily on his blog. And what is the 'THUG' reference regarding Will. I. AM? Why? Because he asked you to stop being disrespectful about him and his work? Then I'm a thug too, because I'm disgusted by Perez's bully pulpit of a blog. Does Will's race have anything do do with it? Will. I. Am never touched him. Polo Molino (the manager did...And turned himself in). These are not THUGS. This isn't a "gangsta rapper". These are people who had enough and lashed out. Perez is the THUG for hiding behind the computer and taking shots at people. Last point, didn't Perez make fun of Jesse Metcalf when he was assulted in front of a club in LA? Didn't he call for the firing of Isiah Washington for using the same "faggot" slur toward T.R. Knight?CHICKENS COME HOME TO ROOST, PEREZ. Suck it up!

Posted by: kG | Jun 24, 2009 12:53:52 PM

7. This jerk is still whining about equality? Between the Miss America fiasco and this incident, he's only set us back. He's pathetic in his need for fame through whatever sordid means...he's famous for writing awful things on celebrities' pictures, most of whom actually are famous for some kind of talent. STFU Perez and go get some treatment or rehab...

Posted by: bryanD | Jun 24, 2009 12:57:26 PM

8. So the self serving crybaby Perez is all upset because the gay community has not jumped on his hypocritical bandwagon. Pereztard has spent the last several years verbally assaulting women, gays, politicians and anyone that does not pander to his twisted way of thinking. Now after verbally punching people around he got sucker punched in his fat face and he expects us in the gay community to have sympathy for him. News for you dickwad, we don't! You are an embarrassment to the gay community!

Posted by: Sharon | Jun 24, 2009 1:01:37 PM

9. I have no respect for either or these stupidly-self-named and self-important douchebags. I *had* some for Adams at one point, but he's lost it. Neither one can fade into obscurity fast enough at this point.

Posted by: adamblast | Jun 24, 2009 1:05:07 PM

10. Why are you people so against Perez yea he is a media douche that does not mean he needs to get punched for it. He is just a blogger and if everyone went up and punched a blogger because they did not like what they said then alot of people would be in jail....i would have killed O'douchbag already, even though he is not a blogger... that fucker!

Posted by: Shae | Jun 24, 2009 1:06:34 PM

11. I'm overweight, just like Perez, and would no doubt be called FAT on his web site. He sickens me. What sickens me even more is him saying "I am not nor have I ever claimed to be a spokesperson for the gay community." Um... what? That's EXACTLY what you claimed to be when you went on countless talk shows and made the media circuit during the Prejean debacle. JUST GO AWAY. PLEASE.

Posted by: Jason | Jun 24, 2009 1:14:24 PM

12. Since you asked, I'm against people using "the most hurtful word they can think of" as a way to wind someone up, and then being shocked and dismayed by the response. Having been called a faggot a few times, I think its deeply fucked up on Perez's part to throw that slur out there and then be suprised at the reprocussions. What's more, its not about him being a vindictive social climber, hell, the world is full of them. Its that if someone called HIM a faggot he'd be screaming bloody murder. Or at least tweeting it. One can't have it both ways.

Posted by: g_whiz | Jun 24, 2009 1:19:35 PM

13. "FAGGOT" is just six letters. The word has no violence or power unless you choose to give it such. Own the word and it loses all power. "I am a faggot!!"... BIG WOOP!!!

Posted by: JalanGaio | Jun 24, 2009 1:33:08 PM

14. Perez Hilton = the 21st Century new disease. He's set back the gay community 25 years before the AIDS crisis.

Posted by: Maverick69 | Jun 24, 2009 1:33:22 PM

15. If he simply wanted justice -- not further fame, then why did he blame Will.i.Am for the attack initially instead of Polo Molina? Bring on the publicity!

Posted by: Cameron Johnson | Jun 24, 2009 1:47:45 PM

16. Dear Perez,

You're still scum. And you deserved what you got. You provoked the whole thing and you are too much of a wussy to stand up for yourself. You got yourself into that mess. Be a man (if you can) and STFU.

Posted by: mike | Jun 24, 2009 2:41:58 PM

17. Hit him again!!

Posted by: Davey | Jun 24, 2009 2:55:39 PM

18. HMMMM....Perez said this is a first time incident? He really needs to watch his mouth-- and stop smoking crack.
    He called Carrie Prejean a stupid bitch moments after she gave her idiotic response at the Miss USA pageant. Yes she is not the brightest bulb in the chandelier -- but as a public figure (and role model -- whether you ask for it or not -- in the public eye and you are) Perez needs to act in a more professional manner. His actions on his website (more like a 13 year old girl than a man ) are one thing..that is his space...but go out in public where you can be seen and heard and your words can incite violence. Try going up to some black man and use the "N" word...see if he does not smash your face in. Justified perhaps not, expected of course. So Perez basically shows how immature and stupid he really is. I hope this finally does his stupid inane career in....At least Paris Hilton is famous for being famous, Perez is famous for covering the famous for being famous. How odd.

Posted by: David | Jun 24, 2009 3:09:36 PM

19. ROTFLMAO at that video of Perez screeching like that other moron about 'Leave Britney Alone!' They both are bleach blonde morons. Hopefully we will see Perez's bubble burst and he will fade into oblivion where he belongs. He has set us back as a community in the filth he publishes and in his actions. The gay community does not care for him!

Posted by: Trevor | Jun 24, 2009 3:35:22 PM

20. Perez -

It's amazing how much cleaner I feel now that I'm not reading your blog. I think everyone should try living without you.

Posted by: dvdinorl | Jun 24, 2009 6:29:30 PM

21. OMGYAWU & SFScottie expressed my thoughts exactly. No more to say.

Posted by: jjasonham | Jun 24, 2009 7:26:13 PM

22. Trevor, that is precisely what I thought while watching him screech and stutter, and I'm surprised that no one else mentioned it sooner. Hysterical histrionics.

I don't agree that he's set back our community. Most people outside very secluded areas know or have at least met (or at related to) a few gay people, and I think most people know that gays aren't a monoculture. He's basically a gay Geraldo Rivera: opportunistic, attention loving, and sickening, a pathetic tabloid "journalist." Remember when Geraldo got his nose broken and made a big deal about it? Same story, different decade.

Posted by: Paul R | Jun 24, 2009 10:07:17 PM

23. People in this thread are mistaking karma for retribution. I also get the impression that they've not bothered to read the post, much less in its entirety. When you guys smell blood you really go into a feeding frenzy.

Posted by: Toro Castano | Jun 25, 2009 2:47:45 AM