Crime | News | Washington DC

BigGayDeal.com

Security Guard Killed by White Supremacist at U.S. Holocaust Museum

A security guard at the U.S. Holocaust Museum was shot and killed by an 88-year-old white supremacist before being shot by other security guards:

Johns "The security guard, who was identified by police as 39-year-old Stephen Tyrone Johns of Temple Hills, Md., and the gunman were both taken to George Washington University Hospital. Johns died at the hospital, authorities said later, and the gunman was reported to be in critical condition. A third person sustained minor injuries in the incident, according to police. A law enforcement source identified the gunman as James W. von Brunn, 88. On an anti-Semitic Web site he apparently maintains extolling a 'Holy Western Empire,' von Brunn says he served in the U.S. Navy during World War II, worked for 20 years as an advertising executive and film producer in New York and then became 'an artist and author' living in Maryland."

Former Defense Secretary William Cohen was on the scene. He spoke to CNN. That video, as well as initial White House reaction, the identification of the victim, and a FOX report, which asks if they were too quick to dismiss Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano's memo earlier this year warning of domestic terrorists.

Watch all the videos, AFTER THE JUMP...

Also, the long internet trail of James Von Brunn, at Gawker.

Comments

1. Don't listen to FOX's fear mongering.

A nutjob with a gun does not a "domestic terrorist" make.

Posted by: Tommy | Jun 10, 2009 6:42:55 PM

2. This seems - I don't know - a bit staged? Why is Von Brunn [!] mentioned as opposing the Fed when that's completely unrelated to his inflammatory past statements and rants? Timing: Ron Paul just submitted an "Audit the Fed" bill that has 207 sponsors. We'll see how many he has at the end of the week and thus know "Cui bono?"

Posted by: Antaeus | Jun 10, 2009 6:48:57 PM

3. TOMMY: Actually,yes it does.What do you call an American White Supremacist with a gun,shooting at innocent people,motivated by hate?

A "Domestic Terrorist"

get rid of the naive attitude

Posted by: Dan | Jun 10, 2009 6:52:46 PM

4. sad

----------------------

Tommy and antaeus must be gay STORMFRONT (neo nazis)types

========================

Anyway; the sometimes surprisingly not a fox bot Shep mentioned that the DHS report on domestic terrorism that was boo bood by repubs was right.

The Us taliban

xtianistas hating us gays and women + stormfront white supremacists

Posted by: jimmyboyo | Jun 10, 2009 7:02:33 PM

5. I'm old. Older attitudinally than even my birth certificate says.

For I'm old enough to remember when there seemed to be a more proactive sense in schools to instill the lesson of the horror of the Holocaust [victimizing gays was left out, of course].

And I was old enough to understand when JFK was shot and, later, saw, via our TV, Lee Harvey Oswald shot as it happened.

I came home from school to see film of black and white civil rights demonstraters in the South being beaten earlier that day.

The first protest I participated in was against an appearance by George Wallace when he was running for President.

I picketed the Johnson White House on a Good Friday carrying a blowup of a photo of the My Lai massacre, and have been physically attacked in separate instances for being antiwar and for being gay. I've been fired and denied promotions for the latter.

I have slept on the wrong side of the Berlin Wall and walked hushed through the ghost-filled grounds of Dachau.

I watched the White Night Police Riot in the Castro from the roof of my apartment building.

I have buried most of my gay friends lost to AIDS while the government laughed.

I have visited this Holocaust Museum whose recognition of gay victims would outrage the putz in the New York legislature. It is a holy place, and, old and jaded and cynical as I am, this still shocks me.

Posted by: Michael @ LeonardMatlovich.com | Jun 10, 2009 7:04:04 PM

6. He is an elderly bigot who is considered the "elder statesman" of the white supremacist movement. He is rumored to have prostate cancer. This seems like the last suicidal gesture of a dinosaur seeing his "white (male) run world" going extinct and the new world order of non-white, non-Christian, non-male, non-straights taking over. He may have decided to become a martyr to inspire other Nazis and KKK types to perform similar acts and rise up in "civil war" against gays, women, blacks, non-Christians, Hispanics etc...

Posted by: Wheezy | Jun 10, 2009 7:09:24 PM

7. @Tommy
    How exactly do you tell the difference between a nutjob and a right wing extremist?
    They look an awful lot alike...

Posted by: Jeffrey | Jun 10, 2009 7:23:03 PM

8. And by domestic terrorist, Janet Napolitano was, of course, referring to Christian Fundamentalists.

Posted by: B | Jun 10, 2009 7:26:27 PM

9. This discussion reminds me of this article I read earlier today:

Posted by: soulbrotha | Jun 10, 2009 7:35:04 PM

10. Among the other horrors of this stories is that the guard is dead and the gunman is still alive and receiving life support. He obviously meant this as a "going out" message, and I wish they'd respected the bastard's wishes.

Posted by: Paul R | Jun 10, 2009 8:13:05 PM

11. By the way, [email protected]/ Leland Frances/ David Ehrenstein, why do you continue posting under so many aliases? What's the purpose? Regular commenters have long since caught on, and you've been accused and never denied it. Why? Is it a desire to intersperse pithy comments with endless ones?

You often have interesting things to say, and you often ramble on like hell. Either way, the multiple personalities are just bizarre.

Posted by: Paul R | Jun 10, 2009 8:22:42 PM

12. You might want to run that lead sentence through grammar check - it reads as stating that the killed guard was shot by his fellow guards after he was shot by the gunman.

Posted by: Kipp | Jun 10, 2009 8:33:18 PM

13. Soulbrotha

interesting link

Yeah a huge diff is one is "praise baby jeeeebus" xtian while the other is a muslim ,but BOTH are terrorists though only one gets labeled that and going to be prosecuted as one.

BUT another huge difference is simply race. The black guy gets labeled a domestic terrorist while the white guy doesn't. Sadly, I'm not surprised. In a country where an obvious slut visiting a party island goes missing is reported on nationally ad nauseum because she is blond and white while a young black girl gets kidnapped a block from her house on the way home from church barely gets mentioned in the local media let alone nationally even once.

Posted by: jimmyboyo | Jun 10, 2009 8:41:49 PM

14. Kipp, exactly what I was thinking...

Posted by: AladinSane | Jun 10, 2009 8:48:55 PM

15. So...ya think they'll waterboard the SOB who shot up the place to find out if there's more attacks planned? Isn't that what the right wing-nuts think torture's all about -- facing the ticking clock and deciding to use any means necessary to keep more from being killed? I haven't heard anyone from the right want that for this creep or the terrorist who assassinated Dr. Tiller in Kansas, who actually did make threats, according to reports. Do they only mean waterboard Muslim terrorists and not white Christian ones?

Posted by: Kyle Sullivan | Jun 10, 2009 9:04:56 PM

16. Kyle sullivan

The tiller murderer has openly said that there will be more abortion doc killings/ many more martyrs for the cause yet nothing from the right on waterboarding him to get info

Posted by: jimmyboyo | Jun 10, 2009 9:09:04 PM

17. It's Leland Francis/Michael Bedwell. David E. is a real human and well known writer who doesn't see eye-to-eye with LF/MB on much.

Oh boy, now the TSA will be strip searching grandmas at museums too!

Posted by: anon | Jun 10, 2009 9:37:56 PM

18. Jimmyboyo: Amen. There was a really good CSI Miami episode recently about this issue. I don't think it's one that most whites even think about. That is not to say they are racists before anyone jumps on me. Just an observation.

Posted by: Derek Washington | Jun 10, 2009 10:05:13 PM

19. This is soooo sad...this sick man will get his just desserts.

Posted by: Cincinnati NAMjA | Jun 10, 2009 10:45:51 PM

20. Derek Washington

I wish i had seen that CSI Miami episode.

This white boy is aware of the issue.

:-(

Posted by: jimmyboyo | Jun 10, 2009 10:45:53 PM

21. You are correct, Anon, and my apologies to David Ehrenstein.

Posted by: Paul R | Jun 10, 2009 10:47:05 PM

22. Further research will probably find that he is a card carrying Republican, a FOX News fanatic, Tivo's O'Reilly and Hannity, an avid listener of Rush Limbaugh and a follower of Pat Buchanan.

Posted by: CB | Jun 10, 2009 10:52:02 PM

23. Nor, Paul, did I have Vince Foster killed nor load Dan White's gun.

"These Republican leaders have not been content with attacks on me, or my wife, or on my sons. No, not content with that, they now include my little dog, Fala. Well, of course, I don't resent attacks, and my family doesn't resent attacks, but Fala does resent them. You know, Fala is Scotch, and being a Scottie, as soon as he learned that the Republican fiction writers in Congress and out had concocted a story that I had left him behind on the Aleutian Islands and had sent a destroyer back to find him--at a cost to the taxpayers of two or three, or eight or twenty million dollars--his Scotch soul was furious. He has not been the same dog since. I am accustomed to hearing malicious falsehoods about myself--such as that old, worm-eaten chestnut that I have represented myself as indispensable. But I think I have a right to resent, to object to libelous statements about my dog."

Posted by: Michael @ LeonardMatlovich.com | Jun 10, 2009 10:55:55 PM

24. @ CB,

He was a Ron Paul supporter.

Posted by: Wheezy | Jun 10, 2009 11:06:49 PM

25. The crazies are out there in force. First, let's not forget, the whacko who went shooting in the Unitarian Church. Then, a few months later, the guy who killed the abortion doctor. Now, just a few days later, this.

Meanwhile, nut jobs like Glenn Beck stoke the violence on a daily basis, courtesy of Fox News.

I hope the Secret Service is more careful than its ever been, ever. It's not going to take long till the rightwing domestic terrorists go for elected progressives and democrats.

Posted by: Ryan | Jun 11, 2009 12:22:57 AM