Brandon Flowers | Music | Music Video | News | The Killers

Watch: The Killers' 'Dustland Fairytale'

Dustlandfairytale

Here's the new video for The Killers' "A Dustland Fairytale".

The song is said to be a metaphorical tale about Brandon Flowers' father's battle with alcoholism and his ultimate success in defeating it (the story has a happy ending).

A really beautiful track and video, imho, and if you missed the group performing it with full orchestra on Letterman, that's a must see if you're a fan.

Watch the video, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Isn't this a Mormon group. yes the enemy.

Posted by: jjkm | Jun 10, 2009 5:05:03 PM

2. Brandon Flower's was raised a Mormon, but is very pro-gay and has done interviews with the gay press in the past. Let's not discriminate against all mormons, just the douche bag ones.

Posted by: Aaron Rowland | Jun 10, 2009 5:21:12 PM

3. Agreed, thank you Aaron!

Posted by: farrellcsun | Jun 10, 2009 5:48:14 PM

4. Yes, JJKM, it's a Mormon group! All they do is sing about Mormon issues and perform at Mormon venues and raise money for Mormons!

You're an idiot.

Posted by: Paul R | Jun 10, 2009 5:50:29 PM

5. It's confirmed. Brandon ""I can't ever escape my Mormon roots" Flowers is a magical panty wearing freak.

"We're all very different personalities," argues bassist Mark Stoermer. "Brandon's the only Mormon among us, but he keeps it personal. It's an influence on his life so it comes through in his lyrics sometimes, but not in an overt or preachy way."

But Flowers is quick to attest to his faith: "I can't ever escape my Mormon roots. Even on the first album, Hot Fuss, it informed songs like All These Things That I've Done. On the single When You Were Young, there's a line I sing, 'He doesn't look a thing like Jesus.' That's about growing up in a religion where Jesus is considered a saviour and also realising people can be saviours, too, whether they're your wife, your best friend or your next-door neighbour. He can come in other human forms.

"Mormonism is a Christian religion, but the biggest thing is we believe we know where we're going when we die. It's not just about heaven and hell. The Bible says we're all made in God's image but we believe that literally - that God is a man. Other religions have always shied away from embracing that particular concept, but we don't: we really think God's a dude." Flowers laughs. "I've always been a believer. It's always been a big part of my life even when I was young. There's always been that push-and-pull of living in Sin City and believing in God. And now it's become absolutely incredible, after all that's happened to us."

Posted by: JohnInManhattan | Jun 10, 2009 6:04:42 PM

6. My partner was raised Mormon and his family still belongs to the church. His 85 year-old (Mormon) grandmother thinks we're the best, as his parents. They say they're working to change attitudes at their own ward as evidenced by their insistence of our (and our children's) inclusion at family and friend functions. Of course, they're still way too conservative (and republican) for my comfort level, but I try not to paint the person with the same brush I use on the church.

Posted by: kingstonguy | Jun 10, 2009 6:13:31 PM

7. This is a beautiful video. Most Mormons I've known have been incredibly sweet, accepting people. As with mainstream Christianity (or mainstream any other religion), it's the leaders who incite hatred and destroy things.

I've zero interest in organized religion, but it's wrong to harbor inherent hatred to those who find solace in it---as long as they don't hate you.

Posted by: Paul R | Jun 10, 2009 8:35:12 PM

8. The video is really good, the song is great and the orchestra version on Letterman was just amazing!

Posted by: jOHN | Jun 10, 2009 8:40:59 PM

9. I used to be a rabid Killers fan. Then this interview which Andy posted made it clear to me that he was a right-winger. I just can't support him now. Too bad... Hot Fuss was amazing. But his work since has sucked in my opinion....

Posted by: baysidewiseguy | Jun 10, 2009 9:09:55 PM

10. @jjkm: Yeah, that's why I didn't go see Milk. Did you know they gave him an Oscar, too? Outrageous.

Posted by: Alex | Jun 10, 2009 9:31:41 PM

11. Ugh baysidewiseguy, he's not ultra conservative.

He has said that he doesn't like to "follow bandwagons" and prefers to think for himself. He also generally avoids talking about politics to the press because he doesn't believe it's his place as a musician to comment. But he did vote for Obama in the election, he has confirmed that multiple times. And he almost seemed embarrassed to say it, because he says he hates looking like he is doing what everyone else does (like a blind follower) so he says he was on the fence at first, but that he can't deny the greatness of Obama and that he represents something really positive. Basically he is an independent thinker. Yes, that may include feeling a little bad for Bush, but that's his personal opinion that he's entitled to, and more power to him for saying something that no musician would EVER dare reveal. Besides, who hasn't once felt a tiny bit bad for Bush, even if they then immediately erased the feeling?

As for Mormonism and gay rights, Brandon was born a Mormon and still is a practicing one. He prefers not to discuss it because he knows how "uncool" and controversial it is, but obviously interviewers like to dwell on it because readers like you guys are so interested. Brandon has clearly stated that he supports equal rights for gays, and that that includes marriage.

I mean, come on... this guy idolizes Pet Shop Boys, David Bowie, Elton John, Morrissey... he wears sequins, gold, makeup... he has said, and this is a direct quote from the Advocate:

"Whether I knew it or not, or found out later, a lot of the music that I grew up on tended to be made by gay men. A lot of my heroes were and are gay men."

So give the guy a break! You shouldn't judge someone just based on the religion they grew up with. I'm sure it was hard enough for him to grow up being the only teen listening to PSB and the Smiths in conservative small-town Utah...

Posted by: Z | Jun 10, 2009 10:44:17 PM

12. Cant see the video, it says "Embedding disabled by request". How can I see this video? Please, thanks.

Posted by: Jorge | Jun 10, 2009 10:50:40 PM

13. here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWyoCHypDak

Posted by: Z | Jun 10, 2009 11:01:00 PM

14. When "embedding is disabled by request", you'll need to click on the video window to go to the actual YouTube page.

Posted by: RJ | Jun 11, 2009 2:08:48 AM

15. Well I think he's just dreamy!

Posted by: Nonplussed | Jun 11, 2009 3:46:02 AM