Barack Obama | Democratic Party | Gay Rights | News | Stonewall

White House Stonewall Reception to Be Streamed Live Today

As you may know, there's an LGBT reception celebrating Stonewall today at the White House. It has been criticized by some bloggers as a photo-op meant to gloss over the lack of inaction by the President on campaign promises he made to the gay community. It will be streamed live HERE at 4:25 EDT, according to the White House blog.

Whitehouse Americablog has likely been the loudest detractor: "Now, we keep hearing that the noble people who are going on Monday are planning to talk about issues and really let the White House know we've got problems. That's BS. Many of them had a chance two weeks ago in the Oval Office to tell the president what they thought, and how many of those groups let him have it? This is a show-off event for the star-f*ckers, and it's a chance for the Obama administration to use our community's 'leaders' for some much-needed CYA. They'll show the world how much they really do love the gays, after all, they gave them champagne! The White House is taking full advantage of this."

Bond Brian Bond, Deputy Director of the White House Office of Public Engagement, blogs about today's event:

"To me, today’s event is more than just a reception honoring LGBT Pride month.  It is an opportunity for the Administration to provide the world with a snap shot  of the real heroes across the country that do the day-to-day work fighting for equality. People like State Representative Patricia Todd in Alabama to Sheriff Lupe Valdez in Dallas, and may other local LGBT elected officials that will be here today.  And it’s people – ordinary families – that by simply living their lives openly are changing hearts and minds.  It is also an opportunity to welcome the people upon whom shoulders we stand, people like Frank Kameny, as well as Phil Wilson, Bishop Robinson and Ambassador Hormel, who I know personally, and those who stood up to bigotry at Stonewall.  I really wish people like Bayard Rustin could be standing here with us today.  He would be up for the fight ahead of us and proud of the place we now stand. People may not know this, but there hasn’t been a significant event since the President took office that hasn’t included the LGBT community -- discussions on the economy and the recovery, or health care -- but this event is special to me and to many of the people that haven’t been here for many years."

David Mixner had some good advice last week for those attending the event.

On a personal note: I was invited late last week as a 'plus one' one of the invited guests to this event, and received a late request over the weekend from someone else to reconsider. After some thinking about it and discussion with close friends about whether it would be proper to attend with the attitude of "bringing the message to Obama," I decided against it. While I would love nothing more than to go to the White House and meet the President for a celebration of LGBT people, I'll look forward to the day that happens when we aren't still relegated to the back of the bus.

Comments

1. "While I would love nothing more than to go to the White House and meet the President for a celebration of LGBT people, I'll look forward to the day that happens when we aren't still relegated to the back of the bus."

Thanks Andy, for being someone supportive who "gets it" and not choosing to be another one of those champagne-suckas' drooling over the prez's impotent dick for their own foto-op!

Posted by: The Phoenix | Jun 29, 2009 1:10:29 PM

2. David Mixner is now one of my new heroes.

Posted by: Darren | Jun 29, 2009 1:20:19 PM

3. Hear! Hear!

Posted by: Sean | Jun 29, 2009 1:25:47 PM

4. Does anyone think that this is literally both "too little, too late"?

Posted by: Tony | Jun 29, 2009 1:31:04 PM

5. Thanks, Andy! I appreciate the fact that you resisted temptation, and stood by your principles! My best friend is going and when he texted me with the news, I simply replied: "I need a new china pattern...see what you can do." I'm nonplussed, but I value our friendship.

I was at the NYC Pride parade. I was able to get Cleve Jone's attention and we talked about the March. Today, I signed up to help organize at the grassroots level in Connecticut, and set up a facebook account. The time is now!

Posted by: Bryan | Jun 29, 2009 1:38:26 PM

6. Just a thought - Considering these receptions are more or less a meet and greet photo-op with president making speeches and small talks niceties - it could be a "loud" (yet-silent) message, if those attending would wear t-shirt (or a photos/written message hanging off lanyards) with pictures and messages on them that illustrates the obstacles GLBTQ community is facing since Obama gotten into office. (i.e. pictures of gay bashed victims, the Texas Bar raid, Evangelical protest against the community, the children who suicide due to homophobic bully and facts about DADT, LGBT youth homelessness, Hate crimes, etc.)

Posted by: Dan | Jun 29, 2009 1:38:28 PM

7. Gee I wonder if Joe Solomsleaze will be there in his 300 dollar suit kissing Obama's ass?

Posted by: Wolfie | Jun 29, 2009 1:50:01 PM

8. @WOLFIE: I don't get it: do you consider a $300 suit expensive or cheap?

Posted by: TCW | Jun 29, 2009 1:59:43 PM

9. Fuck Obama. You ANDY are the real deal, a class act Sir.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Jun 29, 2009 2:00:59 PM

10. Hmmm Guess I should have said 700 Dollar.

But you know what. I actually blame them all for this mess.

Obama and the Administration for being so calloused and chicken to think that our rights are not impoirtant enough to get to at the beginning and had the nerve to push it off afraid of making it his legacy

I blame Frank, Polis, and Baldin and Polis and other Politicos for being Democrats first and Gay Second

And I blame the HRCm and all the other Organizations who have been meeting with them because they are so far removed that they they are not connected to the REAL community and ignored our anger and desperation and they are too busy cashing their paychecks.

Posted by: Wolfie | Jun 29, 2009 2:14:43 PM

11. these people need to say the issues as bluntly as they can to obama.

dont just say "we want equality" - go into detail. we want marriage equality and civil unions are NOT equal. they also need to say why we're angry at the DOMA briefing..being compared to incest. we're not screwing our relatives, so that argument won't fly.

and DADT...if obama has the power to sign the executive order, then he needs to do it. fierce advocate? ACT LIKE ONE. even if he can't take action, he CAN speak out and he hasn't.

Posted by: Johnny | Jun 29, 2009 2:37:46 PM

12. grow up, people. engage. press your point. put pressure on the democrats. talk with obama. hold him accountable. educate this administration just like MLK did with JFK and RFK. and show up at the white house and complain. (yeah, i, too, am pissed at the DOJ memo and the lack of a stop-loss order for DODT)

or do you just throw up your hands, quit, stomp off, feel smug and runaway from emotional intimacy and respectful confrontation like many do in romantic relationships.

the only way to build a relationship, with boyfriend or this administration, is to engage and talk out your differences. time to forget the childish antics of the past.

engage: bitch, complain, listen, educate and find common ground. and be a grown up!

Posted by: Joe in SF | Jun 29, 2009 2:42:04 PM

13. They are all tools to make the Dems feel like they are doing something for us. Still no more dollars to any organziation, the DNC or Obama until substational legislation is introduced and passed in the House and Senate.

Posted by: David | Jun 29, 2009 2:42:30 PM

14. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Gay Power comes from the streets, not from the suites.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jun 29, 2009 2:42:31 PM

15. I was hoping that someone articulate would go and press our point. I guess instead only the ones who are the problem will be there.

Doesn't seem like we've won this battle. Just more champagne and face time with the prez for those who won't fight for our rights. *golf clap

Posted by: Nathan | Jun 29, 2009 2:48:24 PM

16. Andy, you should have gone and pressed the issues. Then reported back.

Posted by: Dak | Jun 29, 2009 2:57:51 PM

17. I've actually been wondering about this. For everyone who's been saying "FUCK OBAMA" what are you going to do then? Who will you have left? I'm past saying "grow up" because most of you are just unwilling to. Your anger is completely and totally justified but your really letting it manifest in an impratical way.

Andy, I think you made a real mistake. You had the opportunity to do what few people do, the chance to speak with the prez face to face and make him see the faces of the people that he's effecting and instead you basically decided to sit hum cross your arms, puff you cheeks and pout your lips.

Your intentions are honorable but your actions are impractical.

Posted by: Pekemo | Jun 29, 2009 3:01:56 PM

18. When are all these gay activists and bloggers going to get off there fucking soapbox and stop bitching and moaning. If you want President Obama to hear you, YOU NEED TO BE IN THE ROOM regadless of the situation that got you there. Your message can be heard loud and clear when you have his attention because these opportunities are not going to come often.

Posted by: mikeinbama | Jun 29, 2009 3:16:17 PM

19. I am fifty. I voted for Obama. And in everything he has said since his election, I hear one message loud and clear-- No equality in your lifetime, sorry. I'd rather use my leadership for more important things.

I'm starting to understand in my own gut how feelings of powerlessness and betrayal can shift toward mental illness and lone-wolf terrorism. I'd have defaced the local Mormon church months ago if I was just a smidgeon less... what--responsible? cowardly?

Since Obama cannot, it appears, be shamed into action, my dream for today's meeting is more along the lines of Ferhenbach punching Obama in the face. I know I need a chill pill. But damn.

Posted by: adamblast | Jun 29, 2009 3:21:23 PM

20. I have to agree, Andy, you made a mistake in not going. First of all, I would very much to like what you had written about being there and the general tenor of the event which I doubt we'll get from the MSM. Second, it's obvious to me that Obama just doesn't get it and we don't help our cause by staying out of his sight...in any venue. In most ways, the entire Democratic Party has been as big a disappointment as far as leadership on gay issues since the election but I think the only answer is to make ourselves heard both in political circles and in the streets.

Posted by: styleboy | Jun 29, 2009 3:23:42 PM

21. I agree with Joe in SF.

Andy, I'm disappointed that you won't be there. Your absence, and the absence of our other leaders, is not anywhere near as loud or as effective a statement as you could actually make in person, standing there.

I think this little boycott of the democratic party is childish, short-sighted, self-centered, and destructive.

Barack Obama knows none of us will vote for him in 2012 if DADT or DOMA are still standing. He has given me no reason not to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Americablog does not speak for this gay man whatsoever.

Posted by: JeffRob | Jun 29, 2009 3:25:49 PM

22. Joe In SF; You get it. Well said.

Posted by: MitchTX | Jun 29, 2009 3:30:48 PM

23. I respect both Andy for not going ... and our mutual friend who invited him for going [on his way there as I write for early security check in] as one of those attempting to build a bridge NOT sip champagne.

Every "war" needs "go betweens"...and this is, make no mistake, a war...with second class LGBT citizens on one side, brainwashed too long into investing trust and hope in a false god....and the most powerful man in the world on the other who has chosen to sacrifice us on the altar of his own power perpetuation; trade-offs for issues he considers more important.

That he is so demonstrably wrong about the "pragmatic" need to do that only adds the proverbial insult to injury.

Anyone LGBT who believes that today's event [the day AFTER the Stonewall 40 anniversary/announced two weeks AFTER O's "Pride" proctomation (sic)] was planned BEFORE the natives became restless is a fool when the membership in Rainbow Fools for Obama can't even get a quorum.

It's a desperate attempt at a tourniquet on the bleeding of lavender money from DNC coffers when the tourniquet WE really need is one on gay military discharges under Obama. Yes He Can, But He Won't!

She was missing from every Pride Parade, but lovely Michelle will apparently be there today .... to soften his "Pharaoh's Heart Has Hardened" image. But all the smiles and hugs and "trussssssst usssssss" cooing in reaction to all the urgent, tearstained entreaties, the pictures of children holding "I love my 2 Dads/Mommies" signs, the medals for bravery, from those attending will not melt that stone.

Only more blood er money letting will...AND amplifying the decibel level of mainstream media's calling out the President on his needlessly betraying his promises.

But today's attendees can say "we tried"...and that will increase the burden of shame on HIM...and in the end be a part of the solution.

Posted by: Michael @ LeonardMatlovich.com | Jun 29, 2009 3:33:56 PM

24. So stereotypically gay to have a hissy fit, hold a grudge and not show up until you get your way. Sheesh.

Andy, I'm a big fan, but you are a journalist/blogger first and foremost and this would have given you prime access. Huge lost opportunity. Huge.

Posted by: Steve | Jun 29, 2009 3:41:50 PM

25. hard not to feel cynical about much of anything at this point

i guess this is their form of damage control, but trust has already been broken with both the administration & the Democratic party in general

i'm not sure i'm anxious to hear some Uncle Tom/gay apologist telling me what a great day of celebration this is

if Stonewall happened today, i have no doubt our leaders would all turn a blind eye

now they can "celebrate" Stonewall from a safe distance