Madonna | Music | News

Listen: Madonna Lightens (and Lights) Up for New Track 'Celebration'

Celebration

Madonna as "party girl" returns in the rumored cover art for her new single "Celebration". It's a bit strange to see a shot of her lighting up a cigarette, given the strict health regimen she so readily flaunts. But it's also refreshing to see a lighter side of her again.

I've heard the single. It's good. Matthew Rettenmund, who supplied me with this cover shot, has his analysis of the new song.

UPDATE: Listen, AFTER THE JUMP...

Also, Rettenmund, who is a font of knowledge about all things M, tells me the earlier cover art featuring just Madonna's eyes was a fake: "First, it was supposed to be a promo (front and back were shown) but it had a UPC code so was debunked. I'm awaiting official confirmation, but I can't believe it's not real until someone shows me where those photos are from." The images on this cover art are reportedly shot by Steven Klein at a party in Brazil. We shall see.

Also likely fake are those sinewy arms featured in a paparazzi photo recently: "Her rep...tells Gossip Cop, 'Madonna’s arms in the most recent photos have absolutely been altered by Photoshop or some other means. Her arms do not look like that in real life.'"

Ciaran Gribbin, a musician from Northern Ireland, who wrote the backing tracks with Ian Green and Paul Oakenfold, talks about the track.

UPDATE: Listen, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Great track! Sadly it won't get any airplay cuz Clearchannel hates Madonna. But thats ok.

Posted by: Neal | Jul 30, 2009 10:02:18 AM

2. Right on! I like it! Def hear the Oakenfold influence and it's boogie worthy! Go, M.

Posted by: JohnnyP | Jul 30, 2009 10:06:35 AM

3. It's okay - sounds very mid-90s circuit party ready. Which was great - in the mid-90s.

Posted by: Daryl | Jul 30, 2009 10:10:37 AM

4. Sorry, but I can't help but feel that the popularity of this mediocre crap proves that extasy causes brain damage.

Posted by: dave | Jul 30, 2009 10:12:30 AM

5. How very Ultra Dance 11.

Posted by: Scott | Jul 30, 2009 10:15:17 AM

6. theres nothing like a Celebration written in blood

Posted by: cho | Jul 30, 2009 10:25:58 AM

7. I like it! It's good music for curling your hair and painting your toenails before going out.

Posted by: crispy | Jul 30, 2009 10:27:54 AM

8. I like it, but it sounds like music that's been done before. Haven't we all been here before? Circa mid 90's. Nice memories, big circuit parties, but nothing I'd like to relive again.

Posted by: Chad | Jul 30, 2009 10:38:03 AM

9. Nothing new but definitely classic Madonna lyrics (or shld I say old/used M lyrics?) Like it but hate that she uses the word party over and over. It is an overused and generic word for a song.

I think that it will get radio play. Remember that she signed a big deal w/ Clear Channel or is this still on the Warner label?

Posted by: Mike | Jul 30, 2009 10:59:12 AM

10. horrible song. horrible art. shucks. I was hoping for something better, more innovative.

Posted by: mrmnyc | Jul 30, 2009 11:22:26 AM

11. I just thought of what it reminded me of.

Recycled Madonna lyrics +
    that euro-dance remake of Bryan Adams' "Heaven" +
    a dash of "Blue Monday" chord progression.

Posted by: Scott | Jul 30, 2009 11:25:06 AM

12. It's fun, why overthink it?

Posted by: Gregoire | Jul 30, 2009 11:28:54 AM

13. I think its great! Its dance music what are you all expecting? A revelation? Remember her audience now is the younger set, not the people who grew up with her. If it motivates her audience then she has done her job. She is no fool she does what she is best at.
    I'll buy it as soon as I have the chance.

Posted by: rock | Jul 30, 2009 11:31:24 AM

14. OK! OLD CIRCUIT QUEENS...1st of all you can't complain when your idea of a good tracvk is Whitney or Mariah...that means you have no good taste for real pop music....2nd GET OVER YOURSELF!
    3rd GET OVER YOURSELF OLD QUEEN!

THIS IS A FANTASTIC TRACK ...and I'm sure the same people on here complaining will be dancing their ass off ....SHE IS THE QUEEN OF POP...MJ might be gone BUT SHE REMAINS ON TOP....ON TOP, I repeat!~ :) SMILE*

Posted by: Bosie | Jul 30, 2009 11:32:48 AM

15. LOVE IT, can't wait. Like Gregoire said, don't over think it!!

Posted by: farrellcsun | Jul 30, 2009 11:44:05 AM

16. Attn: Bosie , you will be an OLD QUEEN in no time. And your generation is supposed to find fresh stuff to listen to, all we're hearing is old samples from OUR heyday.
    GET TO WORK, YOUNG QUEEN, so far we are not impressed!!

Posted by: ty | Jul 30, 2009 11:51:13 AM

17. i think mariah is lovely. and i'm not old nor a circuit queen.

Posted by: Gregsy | Jul 30, 2009 12:00:34 PM

18. uff-da. charmless and bruised. as fresh as a spread in HX. composed while waiting in line for another intercontinental child to complete the full accessory set.
    as far as OLD queens? honey, you are f#&$*$ listening to MADONNA and you're calling ME old? put on the Britney/Katy/Kelli or whatever and don't backtalk your momma.

Posted by: brian | Jul 30, 2009 12:12:22 PM

19. It's not bad. But when I heard the new songs were going to be more pop, I was excited. But this is just a dance song. An average dance song, really. Sad that no one writes good pop songs anymore. Not even Madonna.

Posted by: Chris in Kansas | Jul 30, 2009 12:22:49 PM

20. Party. Yeah. Zzzzzzz.

Posted by: lodenmuse | Jul 30, 2009 12:27:08 PM

21. Remember when Madonna used to be sort of cutting edge and would find new producers with fresh sounds? She's shockingly out of touch over the last several years.

And they can deny that those are her real arms, but I'm not buying what they're selling. Filling the emptiness in her soul through overtraining is just making her grossly haggard. Sister needs to eat a hoagie. Fill in those wrinkles with salami and bologna.

Posted by: paul c | Jul 30, 2009 12:30:00 PM

22. Awful!...utter rubbish!!!...Having so many millions, so many opportunities and come up with something like that!!!I always loathed Oakenfold and , though I'm into house music, always loathed cheap dance . That's what it is ....the cheapest dance track I 've ever heard. And how dare she lighting up a cigarettes and play the "libertine" when she doesn't even let her own kids watching TV or eat what they want. What an hypocritical cow!!!

OOOOh , I can't stand her anymore!

Posted by: sebastien | Jul 30, 2009 1:07:48 PM

23. it sounds like epic trance or something. dated and not cute.

Posted by: ryan | Jul 30, 2009 2:11:38 PM

24. lol @ scott ^

Posted by: sundog | Jul 30, 2009 3:44:14 PM

25. ehh video was down, but I heard it on Radio1 last weekend and it wasn't bad. Wasn't Confessions on a Dancefloor or anything, but hey =] Would like to see her pair up with Mark Ronson or A-trak or do some kind of disco queen revival.

Also, this is pop music. If you try to make it something it isn't and set the bar high, you will be disappointed. I don't think most americans would know good music if it sat on their face and queefed. case in point- why is Taylor Swift popular.

Posted by: Matt | Jul 30, 2009 3:46:09 PM