Michael Jackson | News | Rupert Everett

BigGayDeal.com

Rupert Everett Rips Michael Jackson: 'He Was a Freak'

The never-at-a-loss-for-words Rupert Everett has commented on Michael Jackson's death to the UK Mirror:

Everett "I think it was fortuitous that he died...He was supposed to be doing 50 concerts in London. It wouldn’t have mattered how good or bad he was. He wouldn’t have managed to do all of them and the press would have destroyed him. He was a freak. He looked like a character from Shrek. He was a black to white minstrel. He was crucified by that court case when he was accused of child molestation – that killed him. He personified the pain and anxiety of a black man in a slave country. We all watched as he changed from black to white. He was living performance art. You cannot divide the music from the person. I think his life – and death – is a great lesson. I think we are going to see the end of celebrity as we know it. Show business is not an honest profession. It’s like the last days of Versailles. I do wonder how much more bullsh*t people can take about celebrities. We’re living in very strange times. We have Michael Jackson, a black man who has gone white, and we have President Barack Obama, who is a half white man gone black. It’s absolutely fascinating to watch."

In related news, the DEA has raided the office of Michael Jackson's doctor Conrad Murray, looking for evidence of manslaughter.

Comments

1. After seeing that footage from the Pepsi commercial gone wrong, I will never judge MJ harshly again. Growing up in the 80s I knew of the incident, but had no idea how bad it was. His head was scorched to 3rd degree burns in massive areas. I can't imagine the pain. That kind of pain is enough to trigger a downward spiral.

This guy needs to just shut up.

Posted by: A different Andy | Jul 22, 2009 6:32:50 PM

2. I think Rupert seems pretty self-aware, his own plastic surgery was likely done with half the spirit of Dolly's many and the other half just bitterly-aging queen. Nothing the matter with that. I don't think his comments are inflammatory at all - other than mentioning race and speaking frankly of the deceased... Michael Jackson was reviled and/or merely ridiculed here for the last two decades of his life and then he dies and everybody starts defending him and declaring their sorrow over "their" loss. I never heard Billy Mays' name aside from him yelling it at me from my TV, but then he dies and I start hearing people at work and the supermarket saying, "Omigah, that is so sad, I can't believe it. I loved that guy..." like they were talking about a childhood pet hamster. Michael Jackson was a freak and there is NOTHING the matter that, or saying as such.

Posted by: Miaulement | Jul 22, 2009 6:36:23 PM

3. Who is this nobody?

Posted by: KFLO | Jul 22, 2009 6:41:23 PM

4. From now on, R-U-P-E-R-T(space)E-V-E-R-E-T-T is pronounced C-U-N-T!

Next!

Posted by: gayalltheway | Jul 22, 2009 6:49:22 PM

5. The man actually speaks in bill board slogans. Christ protect us.

Posted by: elcamino | Jul 22, 2009 6:53:18 PM

6. Michael Jackson is a freak - a sad one.

Rupret Everett should really keep his mouth shut. But maybe he doesnt care.

Posted by: Landis | Jul 22, 2009 7:07:40 PM

7. I am a Michael Jackson fan - but he's dead and isn't coming back. Let's move on - there are plenty of important issues that need resolving... like universal health care, DADT and marriage equality! Yes, gossipy news is fun, but I don't consider it fun to disparage the dead. What's the point?

Posted by: Mike | Jul 22, 2009 7:08:11 PM

8. RE has always been an angry little upstart.Having said that,it's refreshing to have someone tell it like it is.Celebrity killed MJ,a true talent yes,but in the end a product of of the evil that is celebrity.What he became was not right.As for the President,it baffles me just how much he is being ridiculed.It should be a celebration,a new beginning,but even he cannot escape "celebrity".Now... what is the first lady wearing today?

Posted by: john | Jul 22, 2009 7:35:10 PM

9. Does ANYONE respect this guy or follow what he does anymore? Why does he make headlines? Can't wait for him to fade away and die. And then we can call HIM a freak.

Posted by: BooBoo | Jul 22, 2009 7:38:30 PM

10. "I do wonder how much more bullsh*t people can take about celebrities..."

I do wonder if Mr. Everett thinks about what he will say before he says it.

Posted by: Gavin james | Jul 22, 2009 8:30:28 PM

11. Michael had a very difficult life. He made his mistakes, but I feel sorry for Rupert for being so incapable of compassion for Michael Jackson. I believe Jackson was castrated, which explains a lot of his odd ways.

Posted by: hephaestion | Jul 22, 2009 8:37:59 PM

12. Please shut up, Rupert. Or please go staight. Just go away.

Posted by: J. J. | Jul 22, 2009 8:42:34 PM

13. Hilarious - and pretty much true.

Posted by: Paul | Jul 22, 2009 9:23:56 PM

14. You can never see the speck in your own eye until you look yourself in the mirror.

Posted by: Paul | Jul 22, 2009 9:25:44 PM

15. Rupe dahling....Kindly fuck off and die now. We promise not to miss you.

Posted by: Tex | Jul 22, 2009 9:46:10 PM

16. I agree with Rupert. MJ died a traggic death but, to be ruined by the fall out of the farce of 50 concerts would have been a slow and painful death. MJ has now become the Marlyn Monroe of our time

Posted by: 44Montgomery | Jul 22, 2009 10:13:17 PM

17. Jackson definitely was a freak, but Rubert just seems like a whiny old queen. Jackson was a gifted entertainer. He had a "good run", better than many. His own eccentricities ended it as much as anything. Rupert has had an uneven career and if he's wanted to be more than just the gay best friend, he doesn't seem to have really made much of an effort to get there. The "other Rupert" (Rupert Graves), a straight guy often confused with him, has far more talent.

Posted by: Rich | Jul 22, 2009 10:13:40 PM

18. There is an honest lack of sentimentality to this statement and cold eyed realistic view of the MJ mess IMHO. It is the type of comment an American would not make.
    I do think MJ is probably better off not living the future chapters of his troubled life. I hope he went peacefully.
    Regarding Obama, the fact that he is 50% white is not insignificant yet is never really acknowledged.

Posted by: John | Jul 22, 2009 10:20:09 PM

19. quite apt and refreshing for him to speak so frankly

Posted by: Toro Castano | Jul 22, 2009 10:39:17 PM

20. Ah. Rupert reminds me of that old chestnut:

"Better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt"?

Posted by: Hank | Jul 22, 2009 11:25:35 PM

21. This hypocritical cunt is just mad because Michael has made more money DEAD than he has made in his entire lousy life.

Posted by: soulbrotha | Jul 22, 2009 11:32:09 PM

22. I haven't read his quotes, but why are you giving this guy any attention, Andy? Give us a break. The world has stopped paying attention to him, it's time you did the same.

Posted by: Kent | Jul 22, 2009 11:40:41 PM

23. Why comment if you don't even read the quote? Most of what he said makes sense in a matter of fact way. The over-importance we place on celebrities has increasingly taken its toll on the celebrities themselves, with MJ being a leading example. We analyze and criticize every step they take without thinking that they are imperfect humans too. None of us on this site can possibly imagine or relate to the pain that causes. Don't judge Rupert just because he is more famous than you and can get published. I'm sure we all have friends who have said the same thing.

Posted by: Michael | Jul 23, 2009 12:24:05 AM

24. All of you bitches on here who keep saying YES Michael was a freak. Have any of you DUMB ASS QUEENS thought that's what the heterosexual american world thinks of us....FREAKS.

C__KSUCKERS stop calling your kettle!

As for Ms Everett her career is a done deal in this country and has been for some time.

But I must ask why are the british such arrogant folks?

Posted by: Shing Shing | Jul 23, 2009 12:59:29 AM

25. Love him or hate him, Rupert is right again (did I just say that?). He has a cute butt too.

James Anthony: don't like it, start your own fucking blog.

Posted by: Andy | Jul 23, 2009 7:29:04 AM