Music | News | Slovenia

They Bless The Rains Down in Africa

Thunderinafrica

Perpetuum Jazzile, a jazz choir from Slovenia, does a great rendition of Toto's "Africa", but it's their recreation of a thunderstorm which is really, really excellent.

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Hmmmm, rainy.

Posted by: Midland | Jul 2, 2009 1:06:33 PM

2. Work spirit fingers! Wash that spider out, girls!

Posted by: Rami Ramirez | Jul 2, 2009 1:24:15 PM

3. For more rain-mimicking fun, I highly recommend you check out this video of an Eric Whitacre choral piece. The rain storm starts around 5:23, but the whole piece is gorgeous.

Also, gotta say, I much prefer the IU Straight No Chaser version of Africa to this one. But then again, I always preferred all male groups :)

Posted by: Big 'ol choir dork | Jul 2, 2009 1:31:44 PM

4. Well, they ripped off the version from "Straight No Chaser", but considering they're Slovic and probably don't speak a lot of English it's fantastic... especially the thunderstorm sounds! Bravo!

Posted by: Wayne | Jul 2, 2009 1:31:49 PM

5. Gotta love the Slovenes!

In less pleasant Slovene news, there was an attack on a gay & lesbian reading at Cafe Open last Friday, with Mitja Blazic injured -- he was reported here as half of the first couple married in Slovenia back in 2006. (http://www.towleroad.com/2006/10/photo_first_gay.html)

There have been several TV appearances lately with Blazic and another activist, Roman Kuhar, with many people condemning the attack. The parade went off well, photos here: http://www.narobe.si/

Posted by: Kevinvt | Jul 2, 2009 1:53:58 PM

6. friends sent me this the other day, and they never send things like this. they thought it totally amazing.

i, having a somewhat musical background, found it to be totally off. it made no sense and it certainly doesn't come close to being better than the original by Toto as some have declared.

as far as the rainstorm, all i heard was finger-snapping, clapping and knee-slapping and i am not amusical.

Posted by: mike/ | Jul 2, 2009 2:15:53 PM

7. @BIG 'OL CHOIR DORK

can you provide a link [I much prefer the IU Straight No Chaser version of Africa to this one. ]?
    i looked, but couldn't find it on their site or youtube.

i was at a party listening to manhattan transfer (during a thunderstorm) last friday night in nyc... for some reason this clip took me back there....

it was what my gay older brother was listening to at the time... i guess his musical sensibilities developed earlier than mine. i must admit that my truth was "delayed" by watching his unapologetic sexuality and behavior--and the wrath he recieved as a result of it.

on another note: has the vibe on TR changed (for the better) or is it just me? the subtraction of the PH link seems to have remove some bad mojo

Posted by: my2cents | Jul 2, 2009 2:23:54 PM

8. @WAYNE: We are Slavic, we are Slovenians and in average each Slovenian pupil has at least 3 hours of English language per week during 8 years of primary and secondary school education.

Posted by: Marko | Jul 2, 2009 7:56:26 PM

9. Why the harshing on the choir? I liked it.

Posted by: Derek Washington | Jul 2, 2009 8:51:02 PM

10. Jeez, I did this at church camp in jr hi!

Posted by: djf | Jul 2, 2009 10:06:19 PM

11. I don't really think it's a rip off of Straight no Chaser as much as it is the fact that they're both A Capella groups.

Posted by: Philip Wester | Jul 3, 2009 3:52:22 AM

12. FABULOUS.....and can't you bitches that are bitching just listen to the freakin' thing and appreciate it for what it is?

NO? fine, carry on

Posted by: mo-knower | Jul 3, 2009 7:04:59 AM

13. Was that Spiderman?

Posted by: Chadd | Jul 3, 2009 12:50:52 PM

14. Would make an excellent number for the fall season's GLEE on FOX.

Posted by: JFR | Jul 3, 2009 3:33:15 PM