Grizzly Bear | Music | Music Video | News

A Gay Animated Love Story to Grizzly Bear's 'Two Weeks'

Twoweeks2

Grizzly Bear fan and animator Gabe Askew created an enchanting video for the band's track "Two Weeks".

Said Askew to Vray: "I chose the song 'Two Weeks' by my favorite band Grizzly Bear because it inspired me. Even though the video is about two men, I connected the lyrics to my own relationship with my wife. It took about four months of after-work time and weekends. I would estimate it to be about four work weeks. The lyrics, to me, told the story of a relationship where one person is uncertain of the others loyalty. You get sucked up into the daily grind and forget to tell the one you love how you feel. They get insecure and worry that you aren't committed. And the line 'I told you I would stay' is like a battle cry for fighting to keep your relationship together when it seems to be on the brink."

Watch Askew's gorgeous creation, AFTER THE JUMP...

Twoweeks1

Two Weeks - Grizzly Bear from Gabe Askew on Vimeo.

(via gawker) More about how the video was made at Vray.

Comments

1. Beautiful animation ... (and the song was great too). I'd say a win-win.

Posted by: Garrett in SF | Aug 22, 2009 11:47:35 PM

2. Very sweet and beautiful.

Posted by: Chad | Aug 23, 2009 12:24:59 AM

3. Aw that was cute, i really like it.

Posted by: Shae | Aug 23, 2009 12:25:34 AM

4. Wow, that video is amazing! And his interpretation of the song's lyrics are cool too. I honestly never read that deeply into the song other than "Yes, like it." Perhaps I'll give the album another spin.

Posted by: damien | Aug 23, 2009 12:36:55 AM

5. Absolutely charming!

Posted by: Leducdor | Aug 23, 2009 1:00:21 AM

6. took one of the top songs of the year and made the video of the year. added sweetness w/ the fact that it was a labor of love from the slowdown in this profession. great talent finds its passion!

Posted by: brian | Aug 23, 2009 2:23:54 AM

7. finally, some great gay music worth celebrating. no more lady caca and glambert bullshit.

Posted by: miaedu | Aug 23, 2009 3:49:40 AM

8. I'm a bit older and still have fond memories of Sylvester's "Do Ya Wanna Funk" seared into my brain, but this is good, too.

Posted by: Jim from Iowa | Aug 23, 2009 6:33:20 AM

9. first impressions: wow...just wow. that video is absolutely breathtaking in scope, originality, and imagination. words don't really do it justice.

other thoughts: i find it so wonderful that a straight man made this touching video. wish more straight people were as able to connect to gay stories as this man.

confession: i have to admit i know nothing about this band. are any of the members of the band lgbt? i'd absolutely snag their LPs on amazon if this were true. i really enjoy music/literature/movies with gay content, made my gay people.

Posted by: Semangelof | Aug 23, 2009 8:05:13 AM

10. Yeah, the lead guy is gay..

Posted by: Rowan | Aug 23, 2009 10:37:24 AM

11. Stunning! That was so beautiful. I didn't want it to end.

Posted by: David in Houston | Aug 23, 2009 11:32:54 AM

12. great band, great vid

Posted by: sundog | Aug 23, 2009 12:34:20 PM

13. I wasn't expecting this to be so wonderfully creative! WOW!

Posted by: Derek Washington | Aug 23, 2009 2:50:30 PM

14. Truly amazing and creative animation. The whole piece is a testament to so many good things.

Posted by: David R. | Aug 23, 2009 7:24:09 PM

15. SEMANGELOF,

you shouldn't deprive yourself of great art just because it's not "gay". just buy it and enjoy.

Posted by: miaedu | Aug 23, 2009 8:38:19 PM

16. another thing... it kinda sucks for the creators of the official "Two Weeks" video to be so upstaged by this

i mean the official vid is *ok* but it has no emotional resonance

this version takes the song to a new level

hard to believe it's fan made

Posted by: sundog | Aug 23, 2009 9:01:58 PM

17. Now THAT is a real music video. Congratulations! It's awesome!

Posted by: LD | Aug 23, 2009 11:08:46 PM

18. That is an amazing piece of work!!!! VERY well done!

Posted by: CKNJ | Aug 24, 2009 9:01:50 AM

19. i had to watch the video several times to appreciate all that was going on in there. simply terrific. plus the vid and music complement each other so well. simply magical, mr. askew. thanks for the shout out to gay commitments, too.

Posted by: nic | Aug 24, 2009 10:29:09 AM

20. This video is a stunner! And I think it's really amazing that a straight man took into consideration the sexuality of the man singing the song when creating the video. Such progress we have made. We have a long way to go, but I think we can appreciate the change in prevailing attitudes toward gay men as loving, living human beings.

Posted by: GM | Aug 24, 2009 12:01:58 PM

21. miaedu, I think that SEMANGELOF was only expressing that he'd like to support gay musicians and artists, not that he supports only gay musicians and artists.

Posted by: smacr | Aug 24, 2009 12:18:32 PM

22. just brilliant. hope this goes viral!

Posted by: dw | Aug 24, 2009 7:49:59 PM

23. Smacr is correct in his assessment. I just love to support gay artists when I learn about them. I purchase and enjoy all types of music by musicians gay and straight. :)

Posted by: Semangelof | Aug 25, 2009 7:40:27 AM