Andre Bauer | Mark Sanford | Michelangelo Signorile | Mike Rogers | News | South Carolina

BigGayDeal.com

Outrage Activist: Anti-Gay SC Lt. Governor Andre Bauer is Gay

Activist Mike Rogers, who was featured in Kirby Dick's movie Outrage and is known for exposing hypocritical closeted politicians, told Michelangelo Signorile today on Signorile's Sirius OutQ radio show that South Carolina Lieutenant Governor Andre Bauer is a closeted gay man.

Writes Rogers on his blog: Bauer

"I have confirmed and spoken to four individuals who I have no doubt are telling me the truth. These men have been hit on by Bauer, with one of them telling me it happened at least five times since Bauer's election in 2003. To a varying degree I have met with and believe the sources. And, as you'll recall, I have that 100% record. This was still not enough for me to report on him. Then another call came in and I met with the source while he was visiting DC recently. 'He's gay,' the source told me. 'How do you know?' I asked. 'Because I've had sex with him on two separate occasions.' That too, was not enough for me to report on without confirmation from others. I was led on a path to chatting with acquaintances of the source and two former employees of Bauer who served on his staff between 2004 and 2007. They reported to me that on on a total of three occasions Bauer spent hours alone with men hotel rooms. Each of them explained that the visits were with younger men who were not on the staff of the Lt. Governor nor had any official reason to be with him. The two men each confirmed that they had not known each other who saw this and each described similar circumstances under with these interactions occurred. One of them confirmed that he was told by the Lt. governor's visitor had a sexual encounter with Bauer. The combination of the reports and the first hand experiences were what I need to maintain my 100% record of being right in my reporting on this site."

Adds Rogers: "The bachelor is a right wing Christian conservative. He's done everything from defend the state issuing "I believe" license plates (complete with a cross on them) to defending the right of schools to use corporal punishment. In the presidential election he supported Mike Huckabee."

Should Governor Mark Sanford, who is under fire for an extramarital affair, leave office, Bauer is set to take his place as governor. Sanford continues to be under pressure from lawmakers and colleagues to resign.

Rumors Confirmed [blogactive]

Comments

1. I know many fags who are self loathing and have been out for years.

Mike Rogers, I think you are mentally unstable (and I am not a Republican).

Who gives a shit if this guy is gay? If he can't come to terms with it publicly, that is his business.

Right, gurls?

Posted by: Dave | Aug 31, 2009 5:36:17 PM

2. @psgoodguy - did they drop him on his head? FINALLY! The mystery of the blabbering idiot is solved! YAY!

Posted by: DKNATL | Aug 31, 2009 5:38:36 PM

3. I guess Bisexual doesn't even exist...

Posted by: Danny | Aug 31, 2009 5:40:41 PM

4. Ohhh, Lito! I was thinking the same thing, but didn't think others would see it!

Posted by: Mike E. Perez | Aug 31, 2009 5:42:11 PM

5. If it's true I guess this "outing" is his just desserts, but I'm skeptical. I mean, last week the gay blogs were screeching that Shawn Bennett got gay-bashed by a gang in Lansing.

Posted by: JT | Aug 31, 2009 5:44:13 PM

6. I wonder if Andre Bauer and US Sen. Lindsay Graham are South Carolina butt buddies? Why does that state have an apparent cadre of self-loathing homosexual politicians? Poor guys.

I do have to admit, though, that I totally think Bauer is hot. :)

Posted by: ANON | Aug 31, 2009 5:54:19 PM

7. So, how many times is it acceptable for someone to have sex with someone of the same gender, while continuing to support legislation that discriminates against the GLBT community without being labled a hypocrite? Just wondering, because it appears that there is a quantitative concern here. Are there other rules that we need to apply here, such as what constitutes a sexual encounter as it regards time, place and behavior?

I mean, some of these comments are just ridiculous!

Posted by: MackMike | Aug 31, 2009 5:55:06 PM

8. Great Work Mike!! What a disaster for the Right wingers in SC, an adulterous Governor and now an expose of its' Lt Gov being Gay!

This should just about shut SC down!!

Wait is that a vacuum i feel/hear coming from the south??? No sorry it's just all the assholes suddenly got a bit tighter around the statehouse!!!!

Posted by: alex in boston | Aug 31, 2009 6:19:56 PM

9. I am utterly appalled and disgusted at this story. Seriously, I am totally embarrassed by the so-called "media" which reports this crap. A total invasion of privacy done out of spite and pettiness and hatred. Bravo, guys.

Posted by: DR | Aug 31, 2009 6:53:37 PM

10. Mike Rogers, you are hero! Keep up the good work.

Posted by: peterparker | Aug 31, 2009 6:55:41 PM

11. Anderson Cooper is into shining other guys' shoes?

HOT!

Posted by: JeffNYC | Aug 31, 2009 7:07:31 PM

12. Just remember boys, when you run into Repubs like this, fuck'em but don't let'em cum. You can't let a Jack Mackenrothesque gay face like this go to total waste.

Posted by: kansastock | Aug 31, 2009 7:28:36 PM

13. This is all a big misunderstanding. Bauer is simply clumsy; he tripped over his own feet and accidentally penetrated those men.

Posted by: bobbyjoe | Aug 31, 2009 7:31:53 PM

14. Mike thanks for exposing this self-hating person who throw the LGBT community under the bus for his own personal career gain

Posted by: Brad | Aug 31, 2009 8:10:52 PM

15. I'd like to know what makes Bauer a hypocrite, which has frequently been cited as Mr. Rogers' motivation for outing.

Posted by: Rick | Aug 31, 2009 8:15:18 PM

16. There are a lot of self-hating closet cases in the Republican Party. I know because I was actively involved with them about a year ago and it was quite common. My conservative friends tried to tell me it was different than it really is, but it is as bad as every stereotypical cliché you've ever heard. I basically got ran out due to my honesty and forthrightness about being gay and an atheist. Plus I support a free market and not the corporatism that Republicans mistakenly call a free market.

Log Cabin Republican types are just kidding themselves. The Republican Party is owned by the Religious Right. The Democratic Party is much bigger tent, especially in my state, than the GOP ever thought about being. I can be as socially liberal as I want to be as a Democrat while maintaining a fiscally conservative position.

Posted by: Jason Young | Aug 31, 2009 8:25:14 PM

17. Tip for all: Read the whole story on blogactive.com before commenting here.

(a) There are good reasons Bauer was outed (included that horrendously offensive, anti-American license plate, and his support of super-anti-gay Mike Huckabee).

(b) Rogers is very careful, and his batting average so far is 1000.

I think Rogers' rationale and methodology are both quite solid.

Posted by: Phil-Co | Aug 31, 2009 8:44:40 PM

18. "(a) There are good reasons Bauer was outed (included that horrendously offensive, anti-American license plate, and his support of super-anti-gay Mike Huckabee)"

Actually, those don't sound like very good reasons at all: a "vanity" license plate that happens toi be religious and the support of a presidential candidate whose views we disagree with?

That sounds like thought-patrol, only coming from our side.

Posted by: Tom H. | Aug 31, 2009 9:52:01 PM

19. If you're from South Carolina, this is ollllld newwwwws

Posted by: Robbie | Aug 31, 2009 10:07:13 PM

20. It's not news here in SC. We've known about Bauer for years. I totally believe this report due a first hand report from a personal friend years ago.

What's bad about Bauer, however, is not his sexuality but the fact that he doesn't really stand for anything and the establishment (i.e., the Republican party) does NOT support him. Bauer would be an even more ineffective Governor of this state than Sanford, who did have the support of the establishment in the beginning, until his meager political skills alienated him from any possibility of ever accomplishing anything worthwhile. I doubt this "news" - which lacks a picture of a live boy in bed - can hurt Bauer more than his own incompetence.

Posted by: Gay in SC | Aug 31, 2009 10:18:14 PM

21. Can we get to the real issue here, people: so what's he into?

Posted by: blokrway | Aug 31, 2009 11:55:34 PM

22. Wrong, DAVE. How stupid can you be?! If you're a closeted gay and stand behind anti-gay laws, you are a traitor and a hypocrite. You must be outed. You are part of the reason so many gay people continue to be oppressed. Vengeance? You bet. Nothing wrong with that.

Posted by: nikko | Sep 1, 2009 12:06:21 AM

23. I totally agree with the comment that he's giving Morrissey face.

Every day is like Sinday.

Posted by: Paul R | Sep 1, 2009 12:31:40 AM

24. Mike, drop me an email, dying to interview you on my show!Couldn't find an email for you.

Posted by: Derek Washington | Sep 1, 2009 12:49:47 AM

25. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/08/31/gay-blogger-andre-bauer-s_n_273214.html

Bauer is against gay marriage. Out the fucker already.

Posted by: Dhani Darko | Sep 1, 2009 12:55:54 AM