Charles Pugh | Detroit | News

Gay Candidate Pugh Top Vote Getter in Detroit City Council Primary

Openly gay candidate and former news broadcaster Charles Pugh received the most votes of any candidate in the Detroit City Council primary, from a field of more than 160 candidates, according to the Victory Fund.

The Detroit News reports:

Pugh "Pugh was one of 18 candidates to advance to the Nov. 3 primary for the nine-member council. His early success, some say, could thrust the city into the national spotlight in a very different way than a parade of scandals had over the last four years. 'This city has had the worst PR of any city in the world and now this will be very good news,' said Ferndale Mayor Craig Covey, who is also gay. 'Detroit is going to be seen as a place that can be tolerant and progressive.' In his campaign literature, during candidate rallies and in debates, there was no reference to Pugh's sexual orientation. Yet on radio shows or television segments, he has talked candidly about his romantic relationships."

Pugh won with 8.9 percent of the vote. A short video that shows some of the charisma that is propelling Pugh's political career, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Oh, God, here goes another one of those rampant ultra conservative religious black homophobes that helped Proposal 2 pass in Michigan. Another one of those ungrateful black people that shoud know better. (/snark)

Forgive me, Andy, for gettin' my Millie Jackson on but I'm feelin' mighty bitchy about some of those white gays that happen to be infected with rampant racism.

I had to get that out.

This is great news for my hometown. Detroit has been absolutely infested with horrid politicians (Coleman Young, Kwame Kilpatrick, the City Clowncil) for far too long and it shows; the city looks like post-Katrina New Orleans and has for sometime. I couldn't wait to leave there and I don't like going back. Thankfully, most of my family lives in the 'burbs now.

Congratulations, Charles Pugh, and keep on keepin' on.

Posted by: Chitown Kev | Aug 6, 2009 10:34:28 AM

2. Chitown Kev, I agree. Especially having moved from NYC to LA, there is a lot of undisclosed racism in WeHo. Many friends, black, white, Asian, have all stated that the LA Prop 8 fighters did not leave the comfort zone of WeHo to challenge others minority groups in their views of homosexuality. The only community that most seem to agree changed their view to vote against Prop 8 was the Asian community.

Back on topic, I give many, many props to Detroit. I sincerely hope with everything Detroit has been through that good times are ahead for Detroit and for other parts of depressed Michigan such as Flint. Fingers crossed.

Posted by: Cj | Aug 6, 2009 11:04:26 AM

3. @CJ

Well, they didn't go into the Central Valley or Orange County much either. But enough of Prop 8...need to stick to the topic.

The weird thing with Detroit is that Detroit has been going through a lot of black middle class flight as well white flight.

Most of the taxes throughout Wayne County and even other counties are funneled to Detrit. The state of Michigan needs Detroit to survive and they need for people to move back into the city so that it can be at least as vibrant as the Detroit I remember from when I was a wee-little shorty. I am positive that Charles Pugh will be a step in the right direction.

Posted by: Chitown Kev | Aug 6, 2009 11:21:55 AM

4. There is no "undisclosed" racism in Weho. It is blatant. I was actually TRIPLE CARDED at Rage once. My white friends all walked in without a glance at I.D.s, even my friend Michael who looked so young he could get carded for buying milk. After I produced two pieces of California I.D. the doorman said I needed something else. When I got pissed he said that the law said Rage had the right to ask for whatever I.D. they wanted. I went back to my car, got my passport which had been stamped in places this guy couldn't even spell and he let me in with a "I'm gonna go ahead and let you in, this time." As if.

Notice something else in Weho (this is real Palm Springs as well.). When a DJ puts on Hip Hop the dance floor fills up with mostly white people ,but, pretty much every person of color. Everyone is having a great time pretending to be Beyonce or Lil Kim. All of a sudden Kelly Clarkson comes on. Why? Because the "floor got too dark." For years I've had DJ's tell me that they play as much "Black" music as they can get away with before mgmt sends someone up to tell them to lay off. It's like the 50's in Weho.

Posted by: Derek Washington | Aug 6, 2009 12:11:22 PM

5. @Derek

I hear you.

My deep apologies to Andy for us getting off topic.

Posted by: Chitown Kev | Aug 6, 2009 12:38:38 PM

6. Oh, my Lord, Derek...that story about the gay club sounded like something out of the 1970s. It still goes on.

Detroit...well, we had some wonderful family reunions there (in a neighborhood called River Ridge or Rouge). I wish Motown a new life, and a great new city councilman in Mr Pugh.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Aug 6, 2009 12:40:59 PM

7. he seems nice. good luck!

Posted by: KFLO | Aug 6, 2009 2:57:59 PM

8. P.S. I'm from Indianapolis and have grown up as a gay white boy in schools that are 80% black. I of course received some reverse racism and homophobia but I don't hold it against anyone. I'm proud of where I come from.

Posted by: KFLO | Aug 6, 2009 3:01:01 PM

9. KFLO,

thanks for the posting, and for giving us a piece of your extraordinarily healthy mind.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Aug 6, 2009 3:18:30 PM

10. Derek..UGH,

That happened to me back in my hometown of NYC years ago. TY's, Boots and Saddles you can go freely now. But years ago. OH HELL NO.

But in NYC now the bars have migrated into alot of neighborhoods throughout the city which is a good thing. We all don't have to be scrunched in Greenwich Village anymore.

But CONGRATS to him and I'm sure he will do a SUPERB JOB in BIG D'!

Posted by: Pinky Porkchops | Aug 7, 2009 3:47:12 AM