Barack Obama | Guns | Health | New Hampshire | News | Republican Party

BigGayDeal.com

Gun Flaunted by Protester Near Obama Town Hall in New Hampshire

Gun

A man with a gun in a holster protesting near the Obama town hall got the attention of MSNBC today. Apparently this is legal in New Hampshire. The man, who is apparently not a law officer but a civilian, held a sign with a portion of a quote from Thomas Jefferson. The full quote is:

Protester "And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time, that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right as to the facts, pardon and pacify them. What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure."

According to The Young Turks' Cenk Uygur, this quote was also referenced on a T-shirt worn by Oklahoma City bomber Timothy McVeigh shortly before carrying out the attack on the federal building there.

Anybody have a clue why he'd be wearing an earpiece? Some on YouTube are saying Secret Service.

UPDATE: Chris Matthews talked to the protester on Hardball.

Both clips, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. "Troll" is nothing more than a hackneyed expression to attack anyone who's not part of the echo chamber. Seriously, Matthew, a moderator/blogger calling for posters to commit suicide. This site has hit a new low.

And David R., we do not fucking have a democracy. We have a republic. California has direct democracy in the form of those shitty propositions, and look how that turned out. So anything that's not "healthy for democracy" is good for this country. And this bill is so bloated and poorly thought out that it needs to be obstructed until it can actually be, gee, I don't know, thought the fuck through. But the bill doesn't even need a single GOP supporter to pass anyway. The filibuster is long gone.

Posted by: Attmay | Aug 12, 2009 11:21:00 AM

2. Someone with loaded openly displayed weapon on one's hip waving a sign that says "Its time to water the tree of liberty" (which is referencing violent revolt, vis a vis bloodshed) is making a very obvious threat. Of course, that interview tells me his platform isn't much to stand on. I would have just as soon done without giving him a voice when he had nothing relevant to say regarding the issue at hand.

Posted by: g_whiz | Aug 12, 2009 12:23:40 PM

3. I am proud of this dude. Telling the MR Obama dictator and chief that he is standing up for his rights. He was in no way shape or form breaking the law. I find it funny that they could not touch the him. We should all stand up for or rights why we still can.

Posted by: mike | Aug 12, 2009 12:53:59 PM

4. This guy must be nuts but you must respect his willingness to stand up for what he believes.

Posted by: Justin Roether | Aug 12, 2009 11:40:17 PM

5. Well believe this.....
    SHOOT OBAMA AND YOU SEE JUST WHAT WILL HAPPEN!

This damn sure nuff is no longer the 50's anymore!

Posted by: Mookie Moo Moo | Aug 13, 2009 1:21:41 AM

6. I almost spat out my breakfast when he said "...I'm not advocating violence, I'm advocating an informed armed and polite society". Society can't be that informed or polite if you need to bear arms dude!

So if he walked into a school carrying his armed informed polite attitude and let's not forget the gun, it's still legal?

Jesus fucking Christ, sometimes the US right wing nutjobs really scare me. Isn't the 2nd:

"The people have a right to bear arms for the defense of themselves and their own state, or the United States, or the purpose of killing game; and no law shall be passed for disarming the people or any of them, unless for crimes committed..."

Just what was he defending?

Posted by: nicholas | Aug 13, 2009 3:10:01 AM

7. So, if he constitutes his "right" to wear his gun at the next Prop 8 rally, no one should be concerned for their safety?

Posted by: 2nd Class Citizen Class | Aug 13, 2009 8:07:15 AM

8. I am from an older demographic and I'm white,so let me comment on the attitudes and actions of these disruptive individuals. People whose world-view is formed by radio entertainers(Limbaugh, Beck et.al whose only qualification is that they are failed top 40 D.J.'s) do not deserve our understanding or sympathy for their "fears". Willful ignorance which is self-imposed does not warrant our concerns.
    I also strongly suspect that the alleged gay GOPers leaving comments are nothing of the sort and are plants pretending to be LGBT.. At my age I remember Nixon and the plumbers and the Republicans are masters of tricks and deceit. The Ron Paul fan with the gun in N.H.looks all too eerily like Oswald to me, and I lived through that horrible day. Any LGBT Republican on here is the equivalent of the Jew who led his own kind into the cattle cars to Auschwitz.

Posted by: Contrarian | Aug 13, 2009 5:15:29 PM

9. New Hampshire is an "Open carry state." This means you don't need a permit to carry your pistol openly. You do need one to carry concealed. All but about 6 states allow open carry in one form or another. And as hard as it is to believe, Texas does NOT allow open carry, with or without a permit, except on your own property.

I live in Michigan, we have open carry here also. But I also have a concealed pistol license, which allows me to carry concealed OR openly, as I desire. Some claim that the "element of surprise" is a greater defence than open carry.

Let me tell you, I have fewer confrontations when I carry openly, than when I carry concealed.

We have several mottos in the Pink Pistols. The one I like best is, "Armed Gays don't get bashed."

Posted by: Big Gay Al | Aug 14, 2009 10:48:09 AM