I'm Gay | I'm Not Gay | Janet Napolitano | News

BigGayDeal.com

Homeland Sec'y Janet Napolitano Refuses to Deny Lesbian Rumors

Secretary of Homeland Security Janet Napolitano was quizzed by Deborah Solomon in the NYT Magazine this week. One line of questioning dealt with rumors that she's a lesbian. Napolitano danced around the answers, but never said "no".

Napolitano Is there anything you’d like to say to Gov. Ed Rendell of Pennsylvania, who said you would be perfect for your current job because you have “no life.”

It takes one to know one.

Men don’t know what to make of women who choose to be single. Rumors of lesbianism have dogged women in politics like you, Condoleezza Rice and Ann Richards.
Right. I think the more people get to know a person, the less that becomes an issue. It’s interesting. In Arizona when I first ran for public office, that’s when the rumors were going around, and of course I’m sure they go around now.

In 2002, during your gubernatorial campaign, you publicly denied rumors that you were a lesbian.

I just happen not to be married.

Are you seeing anybody now?
Yes, my staff.

Comments

1. "I just happen not to be married" sounds like a denial to me, albeit an equivocal and politically correct denial.

Posted by: Pender | Aug 17, 2009 12:05:52 PM

2. It's kind of irrelevant if one is male or female, in this case. If a person has never been married by the time they reach their 40's, people will wonder if that person is gay. This is especially true in public life. Charlie Crist of Florida is an example. It just seems that women don't feel the need to run for cover and get married as soon as the rumors circulate, the way most male politicians do. I think that lesbians seem less "scary" to the public.

As for Janet Napolitano's comments, she is a savvy enough politician that she would have denied it openly if she wanted to. To use Watergate terminology, that was a "non-denial denial."

Posted by: gr8guyca | Aug 17, 2009 12:45:22 PM

3. Ha! I love her dig at Rendell and her answer to the last question. I have some qualms about her department, but at least she has a sense of humor.

Posted by: K | Aug 17, 2009 1:20:31 PM

4. i get that it was a lighthearted interview, but is the NYTimes really at the point of asking who cabinet members are dating? please just make sure we're prepared for the next katrina or attack plot. i'm sure she's up for it, lesbians are diligent planners.

Posted by: b mac | Aug 17, 2009 1:21:33 PM

5. Good for your Janet of deciding not to feed into this inane curiosity of sexual orientation. You do your job and your successful at it.

Posted by: jakeinlove | Aug 17, 2009 3:37:44 PM

6. She was my favorite governor ever, I miss her... I also miss when I was her waiter and would wait on her when she went on dates!

Posted by: david Kitchen | Aug 17, 2009 4:03:11 PM

7. It's well known in political circles that Janet is a workaholic - that she just loves working and simply doesn't make time for a social life. I had friends who worked with her in the statehouse in Phoenix, and they said just works all the time. But if she did have a social life, she'd be on the pink bus.

Posted by: Steve | Aug 17, 2009 4:55:03 PM

8. Not sure what relevance her sexual orientation has to do with anything. There is such a thing as private life which is quite seperate from public roles

Posted by: Dylan | Aug 17, 2009 7:19:06 PM

9. I can't believe the reporter asked two follow up questions, not cool.

Posted by: jon | Aug 18, 2009 1:57:13 AM

10. Leave her alone people. If she's NOT a lesbian, the gay community looks obnoxious. If she is, she can't be expected to help our community when the time comes, IF she's outed against her will.

Posted by: Scott | Aug 18, 2009 9:18:18 PM

11. So - we discover during the Christmas Northwest Nigerian airplane bomber interviews that Janet is in San Francisco, over the holidays. Not vacationing they say, not visiting family, but just in town. Yep, uh huh. Not a lesbian, nope, not at all.

Posted by: Not without a Clue | Jan 1, 2010 1:56:39 PM

12. Can you say?,carpet muncher???

Posted by: byron | Jan 28, 2010 1:33:14 PM

13. I bet Jeff Gannon would know.
    The governments are full of gays; Hoover, Johnson, Bush.. and the media can't keep up with protecting all the ones hiding in the closet who are exposed by former lovers or foreigners who want access to the US government and use gay sex to blackmail America politicans. Gays are going to have to face the facts, most people are grossed out at the sight of two men kissing, not to mention the unhealthy shit sex. Gays want the world to join them in the illusion that accepting gays will make the world a better place, when all it is really is a clear sign the anti-christ is here.

Posted by: John | Feb 24, 2010 9:50:48 PM

14. She is an enemy of the people of America.

Posted by: September Clues | Jan 23, 2011 3:56:41 PM

15. JANET NAPOLITANO, MIGHT AS WELL BE LESBANIC. PERSONALLY, I DONT GIVE A DAMN. SHE MAY BE PERFECT EXAMPLE OF WHY NOT TO BE A LESBIAN. IM THINKING SHE IS BECAUSE SHE WOULD HAVE BETTER LUCK WITH A BEAVER DIVER. I WOULDNT HIT IT, THERES NOT ENOUGH BUD LIGHT IN THE WORLD, TO MAKE HER LOOK GOOD.

Posted by: ROBERT WADDELL | Aug 30, 2011 11:40:50 PM