Kanye West | Lady Gaga | Magazines | News

BigGayDeal.com

Lady Gaga to Kanye: 'My Show is Gay. And it's Going to Remain Gay'

Gaga

From OUT's cover story on Lady Gaga in the magazine's September issue:

Gaga-kanye "Before agreeing to tour with Kanye West this fall, Gaga told the rapper, 'I just want to be clear before we decide to do this together: I’m gay. My music is gay. My show is gay. And I love that it’s gay. And I love my gay fans and they’re all going to be coming to our show. And it’s going to remain gay.' That’s another clause in the Gagaland constitution: Gay culture shall gush undiluted into the rapids of society. It shall not be co-opted, fancified, dolled up, or Uncle Tommed. 'I very much want to inject gay culture into the mainstream,' she says, 'It’s not an underground tool for me. It’s my whole life. So I always sort of joke the real motivation is to just turn the world gay.'"

Comments

1. Re: "35 Pages of This Season's New Looks"

Posted by: crispy | Aug 13, 2009 10:31:20 AM

2. Oddly enough, this cover of LG is one of her good ones. Regardless, I love Gaga!

Posted by: Confessions of a Bad Boy | Aug 13, 2009 10:43:36 AM

3. I love the woman and the music. With this, I love her more.

Posted by: elcamino | Aug 13, 2009 11:16:16 AM

4. Wow, what a great statement. That's pretty awesome. I'm gonna have to add the girl to my list of celebs worthy of some real respect (Margaret Cho, Cyndi Lauper, Brad and Angelina, Kathy G, Catherine Hiegl and Charlize).

Posted by: Jersey | Aug 13, 2009 11:32:11 AM

5. It's a man, baby!

Posted by: Jack M | Aug 13, 2009 12:10:36 PM

6. Lady Gaga rocks. She's beyond talented and knows how to stir it up!

Posted by: Bobby | Aug 13, 2009 12:23:36 PM

7. Go Lady GaGa! I've always loved her and her music

Posted by: KFLO | Aug 13, 2009 12:26:47 PM

8. Kanye seems to, on the whole, be relatively gay-friends, especially for a rapper. It doesn't surprise me that he was fine with that.

Posted by: Jack | Aug 13, 2009 12:41:14 PM

9. Looks as if Out has returned to the only good logo it ever had. Kudos, Hicklin!

Posted by: 24play | Aug 13, 2009 12:56:43 PM

10. Well we're all rooting for Out but it doesn't look good. The September issue of Advocate had a sparse 20-ish pages of ads, or one third of what it would take to break even in the rag trade. Hopefully September's Out will fare better. Its a tough tough time to be in the Magazine business, and I wouldn't count on Lady Gaga's back draft to generate much lift.

Posted by: Pee Town | Aug 13, 2009 1:15:41 PM

11. Kanye is a genius ;)

Posted by: HussAin | Aug 13, 2009 1:39:14 PM

12. Not that i approve of the usage, but im pretty sure when she says 'gay' she actually means 'ghey', for that 'it' (i choke when i try to say she)is.

Posted by: rovex | Aug 13, 2009 1:47:43 PM

13. If OUT would keep up stories like this they might actually become relevant to younge readers. AND ANOTHER thing, maybe the next OUT 100 list could include more people of color and less straight celebrities? Might help a bit as well.

OUT, like so much Gay media has got to move out of the Ghettos and into the world where the vast majority of Gays live. If the don't, they are doomed. And rightly so.

Posted by: Derek Washington | Aug 13, 2009 2:00:42 PM

14. I must be in my second childhood because my adolescent sense of injustice just fired up. Seeing bigoted comments on a gay blog always amazes me. 'Persons' such as Rovex would hate on gays if they weren't themselves gay.

Calling a person 'it' is a traditional bigot's tactic to make a targeted group seem less than human, and easier to vilify and persecute. Think of the 3/5's status of American slaves.

Ironic that the bigot displays a less than fully developed humanity.

Posted by: Gary | Aug 13, 2009 2:12:18 PM

15. Excuse me gary, but what 'targeted group' is she in exactly? Making assumptions are you??

Posted by: rovex | Aug 13, 2009 2:18:00 PM

16. Based on the cover, one of the new looks is retarded pill-popper in first-class applies makeup during a bird strike.

I prefer to think of her "having just pulled away from the most passionate kiss ever" less bitchy that way.

Posted by: alfredo | Aug 13, 2009 2:57:40 PM

17. Well, I find her "I love the gays" statement rather rich when she thinks feminism is not being allowed to "celebrate male culture". What is "gay culture" to her? It seems to be Perez Hilton. She is shallow, tedious and nauseatingly overfunded. She could care less about "the gays"......they are just a target demographic. As for Kayne.....lol.....I doubt he has any issues with this, so again her Narcissism disgusts me.
    She looks kind of Courtney Loveish on this cover (LG is NEVER original), but I think Courtney has more of a relationship with gay culture and is a million times more intelligent, she's just tres, tres wacky.

I like wacky, and I would like a real female artist. Go home little girl.

Posted by: Zazu | Aug 13, 2009 3:07:57 PM

18. Im still hoping she is the ultimate record company manufactured piss take. They took the dorkiest looking gimp possible amd made it the worst of all manufactured crap to see just how bad it has to be before the public rejects it. Seems its still not bad enough.. amazingly..

Posted by: rovex | Aug 13, 2009 3:44:34 PM

19. ZAZU,

do you know you are the namesake of one of the greatest talents of the silent era? Zazu Pitts was a great screen comedianne. (You'll have to excuse me, I'm in my Norma Desmond mode this afternoon).

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Aug 13, 2009 4:21:43 PM

20. Zazu/Zasu...oh, well, an "z" here, a "s" there....it doesn't matter, she was great. We had faces back then!

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Aug 13, 2009 4:26:18 PM

21. Derrick, you are a perceptive one. Indeed, my screen name is from the great Zasu Pitts, and I vamped it a little with the "z" instead of an "s". You are the first person to ask me that! I also love Mae Murray and Colleen Moore......they had faces and talent back then indeed, Norma ;)

Rovex: I thought the same thing, and still wonder if this all encompassing record company (UMG) is trying to see if they can pass this very mediocre girl with a very mediocre team off as a phenomenon. She doesn't seem to have the substance for long term usage, but...she doesn't know that. I guess we all get out the popcorn and watch the show (metaphorically speaking). I would never see that girl, and my gawd, Grace Jones is doin' her thing and David Bowie is currently in a movie. Neither one has made a move to befriend her publically. That tells me something. They actually contributed something to the gay community back in the day, and are loved today for it. Grace Jones doesn't have to do press interviews that say "I wuv my widdle gays". It is because alot of us love her, and can trace her incredible history. Lady Gaga is a hieress whose only claim to knowing anyone gay is that "maybe one of her piano teachers was gay"....yes, I skimmed the story...and the photos....my gawd. No one rips off Diamanda Galas. What a fool/tool. And remember those leaked photos with Madonna for the "Hard Candy" shoot? Someone liked them. Arggh!

Posted by: Zazu | Aug 13, 2009 4:52:43 PM

22. I can NOT stand her, of course she has to fan the flames (no pun intended) to the gays, thats a huge fan base of hers, even if she was a homophobe, she'd still lie and say she loves the gays. Since Kanye is supposed to be so anti-gay, they needed to do this for publicity, nothing more and nothing less. They both suck.

Posted by: madam ex | Aug 13, 2009 5:22:42 PM

23. Why in the world is she going on tour with him? They don't share the same fan base, and she could make just as much money and probably get more attention as a headliner with elaborate staging. Opening acts just don't get much attention, especially if the audience isn't receptive and the performer is wearing dismembered Kermit heads.

Posted by: Paul R | Aug 13, 2009 5:55:55 PM

24. Madam Ex, please don't make stuff up. Kanye West is not anti-gay. He's been very outspoken against homophobia.

Posted by: steve | Aug 13, 2009 6:41:46 PM

25. She's the John Waters version of Madonna. I love her. She's not pretty, and it's brave to be tacky when you're not pretty like Madonna is. She's calling her own shots, and the only reason she gets advertising is because she was _already_ selling records.
    I doubt she's actually pussy-loving gay, and the people who buy her records are gay men and girls who think they're fun, so this statement is no risk, really. That said, I think even if she's taking a gayish sensibility to the masses, she's going to continue to be honest about what she's doing. Any dialog that says "this is what the gays do, if you're hip you'll do it to" is ultimately positive.

Posted by: greg | Aug 13, 2009 8:21:52 PM