Kanye West | Lady Gaga | Magazines | News

BigGayDeal.com

Lady Gaga to Kanye: 'My Show is Gay. And it's Going to Remain Gay'

Gaga

From OUT's cover story on Lady Gaga in the magazine's September issue:

Gaga-kanye "Before agreeing to tour with Kanye West this fall, Gaga told the rapper, 'I just want to be clear before we decide to do this together: I’m gay. My music is gay. My show is gay. And I love that it’s gay. And I love my gay fans and they’re all going to be coming to our show. And it’s going to remain gay.' That’s another clause in the Gagaland constitution: Gay culture shall gush undiluted into the rapids of society. It shall not be co-opted, fancified, dolled up, or Uncle Tommed. 'I very much want to inject gay culture into the mainstream,' she says, 'It’s not an underground tool for me. It’s my whole life. So I always sort of joke the real motivation is to just turn the world gay.'"

Comments

1. And re: Kanye, is is indeed very outspoken and positive and considering the people who listen to him, incredibly brave.

Posted by: greg | Aug 13, 2009 8:26:55 PM

2. Oh Greg, Cyndi Lauper is the John Waters' version of Madge ;) Cyndi has a sense of humour! She's funny and adorable and kooky and I get the warm fuzzies when I think of her.....LG, not at all, and I don't think she is bright enough to be trying to do a Warhol, even though she name checks him. She hangs with Perez Hilton for God's sake, poor dear. She is the typical pop tart, and those photos from "Out" are altered proof she can look quite attractive...she has said so herself. She is not quirky or even androgynous.

You think she has the ability to call her own shots now? I think I must have read that wrong. She is signed with a major label. She just started selling her own records, and wrote very poor excuses for songs for people like the "Pussycat ;) Dolls". Think Bowie and Jones would be on speed dial if she was so talented....compare his version of "Fame" to her version....if you dare...do dum do!!!!!!

Finally, I have an issue with your statement that if she is spreading a message of "this is what gays do, you'll be hip if you do it too". This is not an empowering statement coming from LG. She seems to think being gay is mindless hedonism with a chaser of self loathing. This is not gay. This is feeding into a stereotype that a real artist would kick in the ass while winking fetchingly at the audience.

Posted by: Zazu | Aug 13, 2009 9:40:17 PM

3. Paul R, they do sure a lot of the same fans. Like me and other young people.

Posted by: Billy | Aug 13, 2009 10:05:52 PM

4. madam ex, just because he is black and a rapper doesn't mean he's anti-gay if you had done some research instead of generalizing you would find he has said positive things about homosexuality.

Posted by: Jason | Aug 13, 2009 11:52:26 PM

5. Zazu- did you miss the point that LG has a better voice than Madonna, Brittney, and even the incredible Cydni ?? She is a hermaphrodite which puts her in our camp, and she is a bit crazy and pisses off the right wingers, which is why we should all embrace her wholeheartedly !

Posted by: ty | Aug 14, 2009 11:31:31 AM

6. she should have said "my shows will remain stereotypically gay"

Posted by: Eric | Aug 15, 2009 2:29:38 PM

7. Ty, sweetheart, have you heard of someone called Marianne Faithful? I was introduced to her at 18, so I don't think there is an age barrier. Marianne's range is limited, and I don't really care about technical proficiency. I care about the heart I hear in the music. That is what Lady Gaga lacks, even boasts about.....but dare I say even a vampire needs a heart in order to live and die. I just see a hollow pretty shell on media life support. Also, genitalia status is ridiculous as a point of defense. I don't care if she's packing or not. Not my brand.....haaa

Saying you are "not gay" but the "world should be gay" shows covert homophobia. Donkey dick or not, the Lady just wants to maintain the weak fan base she has....I don't know any gay men (she always ignores lesbian culture, natch) who don't roll their eyes at this one. I look forward to the Lady Gaga brand of eyelashes on QVC next summer.

And Eric, that is a freaking mantra we should all be saying to this product. That IS what she is, a product selling TIRED STEREOTYPES. Interesting discussion!

xo

Posted by: Zazu | Aug 15, 2009 4:47:37 PM

8. @Eric @ Zazu... yes yes and yes! Thank you so much. I watched an interview of her on CNN.com and I though, wow, maybe she has more depth than I thought when I heard her wax poetic over Rilke and Warhol. I went back to her music because I thought maybe there was something I was missing. But I couldn't find anything there that I would equate to good art. I could not find one iota of depth or vulnerability. I thought then about Warhol, I thought maybe this was her way of turning commercial art into fine art. But that analysis is a stretch. I thought then about Rilke and I realized that anyone who went to college probably read Letter's To A Young Poet. It seems her "inspirations" are just pop culture references from a person who is always performing but never offering anything real. And as much as she champions all things "gay" (which in LG terms is being sexually indiscriminate, messy and flamboyantly fashionable) I find it both ironic and offensive that she ignores lesbian culture. She mentions of having boyfriends and "hooking up" with women. Why the separate context? Why are men boyfriends and women just hookups? It's very Katy Perry, very "I kissed a girl and I liked it" which I can't help but find offensive. I guess I'm still ambivalent about this one, I think she has it, but I'm waiting for her to get over the fame addiction and create something meaningful.

Posted by: Reva | Oct 4, 2009 1:27:38 PM

9. @Reva, she's out the gate and trying to find groups who appreciate. You need to buy her stuff!;00 I wanted to deck her when I saw that "speech" she gave about the March in DC. "Wear something fabulous?" Yeah, she is our new ambassador! It seems her ONLY paradigm for "gay" is Perez Hilton.

Just so sad. She even had a little fit when asked if she was a feminist, and said, and I quote: "I hail male culture, like muscle cars". So she just objectifies women as objects for sex, nothing more, nothing less. As long as she has our money, honey, she doesn't care. She can go fog herself.

I had to laugh with a depressed feeling in my heart when she got the tattoo of Rilke's quote, because it is taken entirely out of context. Rilke was talking about keeping those thoughts to yourself and letting them grow, not throwing them out there, like putting them on your skin for the world to see! And she literally gets HIS words tattoed on her. A prodigy, oui.

But as a good friend says, "you can't turn away from a train wreck". But now, especially since she has decided to explicitly embrace the regressive belief that women are not capable of partnerships or emotional connections with each other, she is painful to watch.

Posted by: Zazu | Oct 7, 2009 3:44:17 PM