Discrimination | Maryland | News

Tastee Diner Releases Video of Lesbian Couple It Kicked Out

Diner

Yesterday I posted about a lesbian couple who organized a sit-in at Tastee Diner in Silver Spring, Maryland in response to their expulsion for what the restaurant said was inappropriate behavior.

Tasteelesbians Watch the report on the incident, sit-in, and interview with the lesbian couple, HERE.

Lisa Wilkes, the diner's manager, called the behavior "X-rated". In an attempt to clear their name, the Tastee Diner has now posted surveillance video of the "X-rated" incident online, but it may backfire. The video shows the couple interacting, and at one point one of the women places her head on the other woman's chest.

I see a 25-second hug. Obviously, to some homophobes, this is terrifying. The question is, would the diner have kicked a straight couple out for this behavior?

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. You would have difficulty getting this rated X in Saudi Arabia. Whoever runs this diner is crazy and asking for trouble.

Posted by: David D. | Aug 21, 2009 10:08:10 AM

2. all I can tell is it was a half-hearted hug - not even a body touching body hug - more like a "reach over bear hug"? and whats so bad about that?

Posted by: Disgusted American | Aug 21, 2009 10:14:48 AM

3. Well damn, that do any good to restore faith in the Tastee establishment. I see a couple just hugging and cozying up to each other - definitely seen much worse in other places by both straight and gay couples.

The other thing that is still bothering me is the 'incident' took place at 2AM - just what sort of families was this guy looking to "protect" at 2AM.

This is just all sorts of wrong and saddens me since I really do like a few of the servers there.

Posted by: Paul | Aug 21, 2009 10:47:52 AM

4. Although it's hard to tell what's going on, it looked to me like the 'hug' went on for 2 1/2 minutes: starts at 1:16, ends at 3:52. Plus the 20-second 'head to the bosoms'.

I find their behavior annoying, but hardly x-rated. If a straight couple did that, I'd be just as annoyed. I'd be thinking, "Get a room, morons... this is a diner."

They did intend to eat there, right? Or were they just there to put on a good show?

Posted by: David in Houston | Aug 21, 2009 10:53:41 AM

5. The owners did ask them to stop and those ladies gave them plenty of attitude - as if being gay meant we should all appreciate their PDA. Dudes, I don't want to see anyone doing this anywhere. I mean... take a break, ya know? Wait till you're home? Am I a homophobe because I don't want to watch to overweight ladies cuddling?

I hope not.

Posted by: Greg | Aug 21, 2009 11:03:26 AM

6. Reminds me of a line from Female Trouble..."OK, Lez-beans! I caught ya! Bumpin' pussies is a violation of jail rules!"

Posted by: Josh | Aug 21, 2009 11:03:54 AM

7. Instead of a sit-in, they should have waited a few weeks, and sent in a few hetero couples to perform the same acts of affection. I guarantee there would have been little opposition, or notice.

Posted by: LD | Aug 21, 2009 11:08:43 AM

8. Greg and David in Houston,

The two of you sound like complete idiots. They were hugging. There is no law against that. And David, there is no way in hell that you will convince me that you would even blink twice if it was a straight couple hugging! And if so, then you must be quite lonely.
    Greg, are you a homophobe because you don't want to watch to overweight ladies cuddling? No, just a dumbass.

Posted by: Q | Aug 21, 2009 11:11:44 AM

9. Would people be as dismissive if these were two cute little white boys? I doubt it. Unfortunately, it appears that race and class play a role in the evaluation. Very sad.

Posted by: BMF | Aug 21, 2009 11:11:47 AM

10. @ David in Houston:

The concept you don't seem to comprehend is that this was an incident of unequal treatment.

Regardless of your personal comfort with the situation, no one can be kicked out of a public establishment for PDA. I'm certain that a straight couple hugging and talking for a few minutes wouldn't have generated even the slightest extra attention of the wait staff.

Laws against discrimination aren't written based on the comfort level of each individual. They are written to guarantee equal treatment REGARDLESS of what one person might think of someone else.

Posted by: Kurt | Aug 21, 2009 11:19:10 AM

11. Let's stone them to death!

Posted by: Disgusted With The Lies! | Aug 21, 2009 11:21:19 AM

12. BMF, I really wouldn't trivialize racism in this situation.

Posted by: ian | Aug 21, 2009 11:52:37 AM

13. First, thank you Paul for coming back and acknowledging the discrimination of a familiar establishment.

Now, I want to hear from all the other commenters from the first post who were shocked (positively shocked I tell you!), to hear that two gay women could POSSIBLY be discriminated against in that diner or even in that TOWN, being that THEY have eaten there with THEIR boyfriends many times and never had a problem. And if that is the case, then what made these women different? Hmmm...

Well, now what do you have to say MarkyT, Will, Scott, John(you racist bastard), Dave, Beall...

As a matter of fact, even the "I want to be fair until I see the video" comments were still leaning in favor of some sort of scam being run by these women. Like someone said before, if these had been two white men, there would have been a very different attitude in the comments.

Posted by: soulbrotha | Aug 21, 2009 11:53:08 AM

14. Are you guys (GAYS) really coming to the defense of the establishment?

To all you saying you don't care if it's "gay or straight doing that" (p.s~ homophobes use that SAME wording to justify their bigoted actions. Just saying...) "I don't want to see you have PDA"...my response to you? I don't give a flying f8ck what you're comfortable with. So long as me and my partner are clothed, not doing anything offensive (sexual related)....YOU better deal with my PDA...or else? what are you gonna do about it?
    This is AMERICA....2009....If I want to kiss/hug or be affectionate with my boyfriend, I'm sorry some of you only have one foot out of the closets door and are self loathing gays who use terms like "str8 acting"...I WILL BE AFFECTIONATE WITH MY BOYFRIEND. Kick me out of your restuarant and you've got yourself a handsome lawsuit.

Gay people are sooo stupid. they get discriminated in front of their eyes and instead of seeing it, they SIDE with the discriminators. Self hating much?

Posted by: Bayley | Aug 21, 2009 12:05:37 PM

15. @Soulbrottha
    Ding, Ding.

Oh, the outrage if this had been two white men.

Mind you guys, I probably would have said the same if this was 2 white men. But everytime something like this comes up when it's black people involved you want to investigate or see the damn tape. It never fails. Thing is, I don't even realize that y'all know that you're doing that.

Personally, I don't like to see excessive PDA in a public place myself. But if any other couples were doing this and they were told not to, it is discrimination pure and simple.

Posted by: Chitown Kev | Aug 21, 2009 12:27:03 PM

16. I wonder if two straight women sisters/mother&daughter/best friends/cousins, were having a deep and emotional conversation and one reassuringly hugged and placed their head on the other's chest in a sublimating and understanding response, would they then be kicked out as well? I think people see what they want to see...if they see dirt, they've got dirt on the brain. Tastee needs to clean it's filthy moral filters.

Posted by: woodroad34 | Aug 21, 2009 12:37:27 PM

17. @Ian: I don't understand your comment. My post didn't saying anything about racism. I pointed out that race and class affects how people incidents. The fact is that many people have an anti-black racial bias. That bias affects how people view situations. This different from racism which is a more formal belief in the superiority or inferiority of races. The owners of the establishment probably aren't racists in any traditional sense. But, I do think that anti-black bias and bias about perceived class of the of the women probably played into the response. I think it also played into the initial response by several of the posters.

Posted by: BMF | Aug 21, 2009 12:49:54 PM

18. Woodroad34,

I agree with you.

This is also because they were a certain type of women. They are black and one is butch.

If these were two skinny cutesy white girls, either people would have assumed they were straight, but close, friends, or would have thought it was hot.

Posted by: Eric | Aug 21, 2009 12:52:22 PM

19. BMF-

Exactly.

And...I may as well be honest, I shared that same suspicions although it probably has more to do with 1) my perceptions of beauty (as someone noted above) 2) some residual sexism on my part. And yes, I can still, at times, be the streotypical gay male sexist misogyunist pig. It's something I'm working on and I'm much more conscious of it than I was 10 years ago.

Posted by: Chitown Kev | Aug 21, 2009 12:56:00 PM

20. @ woodroad34 ---right on. I completely agree. From the images on the tape these could have been two sisters, one consoling the other. Watch how no one around the women even looks at them, not the server at the next counter or the man sitting next to them. Just the bigot who rang them up, who goes and causes a stink. If this is a PDA that is actionable then we are all living in the Mormon Temple plaza in Salt Lake City.

Posted by: christopher | Aug 21, 2009 12:58:40 PM

21. Imagine the 'gay panic' of four guys sitting in a booth, and one places his arm on the back of the booth to squeeze in one more guy.

Or seating a squirming toddler, your own child, on your lap.

Somebody call the cops!!!

Posted by: malo-ji | Aug 21, 2009 1:11:15 PM

22. It doesn't appear that anyone else in the restaurant was particularly bothered by the affectionate couple. The customer in the foreground kept blithely dishing into her order. Nobody else seemed perturbed until "Joe the Plumber's" cousin, "Ralph the Tastees Manager" kicked the couple out.

It did appear that the customers in the background left without paying for their meal during the confrontation, though. Do you think Tastees will let them back in?

Posted by: Acronym Jim | Aug 21, 2009 1:21:21 PM

23. i stand totally corrected in what I said yesterday about this couple probably not telling the truth, now that the tape is out it appears that the restaurant IS homophobic. Sorry ladies, good luck in your fight. I still think that girl on the right needs to find a better fitting bra.

Posted by: john | Aug 21, 2009 1:40:51 PM

24. Chitown Kev

ding ding ding

".......... I don't (think you) even realize that y'all know that you're doing that...."

The benefiters of white privelage in america do not realize what they themselves do 1/2 the time

Posted by: jimmyboyo | Aug 21, 2009 1:50:47 PM

25. I was sitting in a pretty good restaurant the other night and there were two couples at the table opposite me. One of them started making out (very passionately) for over a minute, and no one blinked an eye. Of course, they were a straight couple.

Even in LA, I wonder if the same loving behavior from a same sex couple would go so unnoticed?

Posted by: Lewis Payton | Aug 21, 2009 1:58:38 PM