Discrimination | Maryland | News

Tastee Diner Releases Video of Lesbian Couple It Kicked Out

Diner

Yesterday I posted about a lesbian couple who organized a sit-in at Tastee Diner in Silver Spring, Maryland in response to their expulsion for what the restaurant said was inappropriate behavior.

Tasteelesbians Watch the report on the incident, sit-in, and interview with the lesbian couple, HERE.

Lisa Wilkes, the diner's manager, called the behavior "X-rated". In an attempt to clear their name, the Tastee Diner has now posted surveillance video of the "X-rated" incident online, but it may backfire. The video shows the couple interacting, and at one point one of the women places her head on the other woman's chest.

I see a 25-second hug. Obviously, to some homophobes, this is terrifying. The question is, would the diner have kicked a straight couple out for this behavior?

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I find it very sad and a little shocking that this restaurant would release this video as though it offered support for what is obviously a bigoted position. I am not a huge fan of public PDA, but I rarely go out to eat at a diner without seeing a straight couple engaged with each other with this level of intensity. It is obvious that this seemed "family unfriendly" to them only because this was two women.

Of course, this couple is designed to bring out the bigotry of Towleroad readers. Female, black, overweight: neither of these people would survive the Towleroad Death Panel.

Posted by: Landon Bryce | Aug 21, 2009 2:20:54 PM

2. @Landon Bryce.

You're right of course, I don't think it's all about race in this instance. Heck, it could have been a cute interracial couple or either two good looking black men (or women) and I don't think you would have seen as much hesitation. I think it would probably be that way if it were 2 dumpy white men, esp. if they were overweight (such as Michael Jackson's gay lover, for example).

Posted by: Chitown Kev | Aug 21, 2009 2:30:10 PM

3. This needs to go to the Smithsonian.

This is what Straight Supremacy looks like.

The waitress did not like them standing close together. (Seems like they are waiting for an order.)

You can see her stand, notice, and walk to the backroom - obviously to report (sex police are everywhere).

The manager comes out and watches.

He walks away ... comes back and they are having a nice moment waiting holding each other. Talking about something ... seems like the one sitting down is sad.

The big bull straight supremist comes out and it looks like he is signalling for them not to step away from each other.

They do not.

He kicks them out.

Pure Straight Supremacy in action.

F-ing bigots.

BTW the no-same sex touching or dancing rule existed as LAW in NYC until the mid 1960s.

Posted by: w.t.f. | Aug 21, 2009 2:39:47 PM

4. @ Landon

So true. The Tlr/Queerty death panel is hardcore.

Posted by: Rowan | Aug 21, 2009 2:44:01 PM

5. @ Landon

The VAST majority of Gay White Men would not survive the TLR Death Panel --- it is hardcore pretense rising from the stench of the Ptown / NYC / Fire Island triangle.

Damaged narcissistic wealthy elitist gay men --- most would be Republicans if they were gay and Daddy did not disown them.

Posted by: White Dude | Aug 21, 2009 4:11:23 PM

6. "...most would be Republicans if they were gay and Daddy did not disown them."

Yeah, and most Republicans would be Nazis if their children did not disown them. Betcha' Sarah Palin's daughter (can't think of the little teenage mama's name) will vote OBAMA in 2012!

Heil, White Dude.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Aug 21, 2009 5:04:36 PM

7. Well I find the plethora of use of PDAs annoying as well, but I didn't see a hint of even a cell phone in the video.

What? Oh, THAT kind of pda. Sheesh, it's so hard to keep up with the kid's lingo these days. Now, GETOFFAMYLAWN!

Posted by: Acronym Jim | Aug 21, 2009 8:34:49 PM

8. I stand corrected (from my post yesterday). I jsut cant believe this, its heartbreaking. FIrst thing tomorrow, I go over to the Tastee to let them know how I will make sure everyone I know knows about this (gay and straight friends) -- let's see how their business works out w/ a good portion of the Silver Spring community boycotting them.

Posted by: markyt | Aug 21, 2009 10:45:06 PM

9. Hmmm...I expected to be appalled at the diner management's lack of sensitivity and homophobia, but I have to say, after watching the video, I would have been annoyed too. A 20 second hug? I don't think so. These two were all over each other for several minutes. I hate it when couples, straight or gay, can't keep their hands off each other in restaurants. Save the homophobia accusations for the real thing.

Posted by: Tom | Aug 22, 2009 5:17:21 AM

10. r.e., "Heil, White Dude."

Derrick from Philly, is anything ever not about race for you?

Posted by: Tom | Aug 22, 2009 5:28:04 AM

11. God, you fucking queens are annoying. Did you watch the tape? I did a few times. The smaller of the two women very clearly is sitting down on the larger woman's lap while they hug, and the moving and swaying is not her wiggling back and forth, she's grinding into her.

Is it x-rated? No. Is it inappropriate? Hell yes. Would they have been kicked out if they were a straight couple? Probably not. That doesn't change the fact that they were acting inappropriately! It doesn't make it okay!

You're not going to change this kind of double standard by holding fucking kiss-ins. And I don't necessarily think not wanting to see two fat lesbians grind on each other is homophobic, just a little small minded and squeamish.

Lets keep some fucking perspective here.

Posted by: Scott | Aug 22, 2009 5:47:54 AM

12. First I just wanted to point out that it will be irrelevant how the owner of the diner might act towards similar incidents in the future; proper C. Y. A. protocol means that future reaction will be at least as strong. What is of interest is how have similar situations been dealt with previously?

That said; have any of you really paid attention to the clip? Or are you just seeing what you want to? I would expect to be kicked out if I acted in a similar manner to these two women.

For the first twenty seconds of the clip, the smaller one is addressing someone behind the counter across from where the other one takes a seat, THEN SHE PULLS THE TOP OF HER DRESS BACK ON, which by the way remains unfastened throughout, and turns to her partner. At about one minute and ten seconds the “hug” begins and continues for almost three minutes. Granted, a hug, even a long embrace should hardly be considered as shocking behavior. But when the girl steps back the other one is busy helping her to rearrange, pull back down, the lower half of her dress. It is too bad the waitresses head was blocking the view for about thirty seconds of this “hug” but I do wonder, where was the seated one’s left hand all this time? I also wonder what they might have been saying and how loudly. Then the man, owner?, confronts them and the smaller one confronts him. Notice that the dress top is again falling down during the exchange and is almost entirely down to her waist as they leave.

I also wonder what transpired prior to the clip. How did the smaller one come to have her dress top unfastened in the first place? Could this just be the more P. G. rated portion of the clip?

If publicly undressing your partner and playing about under their clothing is a simple public display of affection then that is a new one on me. As I said, I would expect to be kicked out, or spoken to at the very least, if I behaved that way anywhere in public.

Posted by: dhoward4 | Aug 22, 2009 7:57:41 AM

13. This video is the big evidence that the diner said they had? Those young ladies did NOTHING wrong. Instead of doing a 'sit-in', maybe the LGBT community should stop giving them any business.

Posted by: Not surprised | Aug 22, 2009 9:12:44 AM

14. Both women are wearing pants, not dresses, and "the smaller one" is wearing a sweater over the top of a tank top.

Someone mistook the xtube clip they just watched with this surveillance video....or is highly susceptible to sexual pareidolia. Quick! Look over there, that blade of grass is fully erect! Mow it!

Posted by: Acronym Jim | Aug 22, 2009 12:10:28 PM

15. When sitting at the counter in any diner, the rule is 'one customer per stool', str8, gay or pansexual.

This gay boy sho' don't find that behavior appropriate.

Posted by: Dickster | Aug 22, 2009 3:09:48 PM

16. Sorry. I eat at the Tastee Diner in Silver Spring a lot more than I should, generally late evening or later (munchies or I don't feel like cooking, especially something that's not good for me like chicken-fried steak), and I certainly have never seen anything that would resemble any habit of hostility towards anyone. The waitress to the right of the counter clearly acts as though she isn't bent out of shape by anything.

But, looking at the video, I can't help feeling that the two ladies WERE overdoing it a chunk. I think I'd have felt the same if they were two lanky blondes with swimmers bods (although I'd have enjoyed watching it more).

Posted by: EdA | Aug 22, 2009 9:57:05 PM