Arizona | Gay Marriage | Gay Rights | Jan Brewer | News

Arizona Governor Takes Away State Domestic Partner Benefits
Says 'God Has Placed Me in This Powerful Position'

Arizona Governor Jan Brewer has eliminated state domestic partner benefits a year after they were implemented, the Arizona Daily Star reports:

Brewer "A bill signed by Gov. Jan Brewer redefined a 'dependent,' canceling the rule change made by Gov. Janet Napolitano that allowed domestic partners to receive benefits. Also eliminated are children of domestic partners, full-time students ages 23-24 and disabled adult dependents. The legislation is in legal review. About 800 state employees are affected, according to the state's administration department...Liz Sawyer, a UA staff member, said the exclusion is 'deplorable and it's tragic.' Sawyer is a spokeswoman for OUTReach, a staff group that lobbies for domestic-partner benefits at UA. Last year 170 UA employees signed up for domestic-partner benefits, she said. Forty were same-sex couples and the remainder were unmarried, opposite-sex couples, she said."

Did God tell Brewer to do it?

"Gov. Jan Brewer said Wednesday that she believes 'God has placed me in this powerful position as Arizona's governor' to help the state weather its troubles. In a wide-ranging speech on the role of religion in politics and in her life, Brewer detailed to a group of pastors of the Missouri Synod of the Lutheran Church how she relies on her faith and in prayer to deal with many of the issues she faces as the state's chief executive. Brewer also said there are times when, during a meeting with staffers, one will suggest praying about an issue. ... But Brewer also said she recognizes the difference between bringing her faith to the office and having an 'agenda.' ... 'The problem with having a political agenda is that we give the impression that we have God's truth,' the governor said. 'We think we can convert God's truth into a political platform, a set of political issues, and that there is 'God's way' in our politics,' Brewer continued. 'I don't believe that for a moment, any more than you believe that God's way is exclusively the Lutheran way.' The governor said, though, she believes it is right — if not inevitable — that elected officials bring their faith to their offices."

Gag.

Comments

1. I live in this state and have first hand knowledge that this is far from over. The hate that comes from the state senators and house is wacked. Prop 102 back in 2008 put discrimination into the state constitution and ended marriage equality. She ends domestic benifits and calls it balancing the budget. This is but a taste of what we can look forward to come NOV's election if they get into power on a national level.

Posted by: Xman | Apr 24, 2010 12:39:35 AM

2. What is really funny, is that the Lutheran church just came out in total support for the LGBT community as being open and affirming.

Posted by: Shannon | Apr 26, 2010 7:09:37 PM

3. Bring back feeding "Christians" to the lions!
    Or implement our law of separation of church and state!
    Or at least ban from cultist zealots like her from our government!

Posted by: Zack Wilde | Apr 26, 2010 7:47:52 PM

4. Well isn't SHE just peeing in the WELCOME BASKET......And I thought that we were going to have to figure out how to carve out Texas and Okalahoma while leaving Arizonia attached.
    Nope just lope it all off and give it back to Mexico....I am so sure that the good Native Population of that country will just love to have Her as their guest.

Posted by: R L Pete Housman | Apr 26, 2010 8:44:13 PM

5. Really? Really? GOD put you in a position where you can disseminate hate to your constituents? This is the message you’re sending? So sad. Quit hiding behind god- if that’s what you believe, you’re ignorant but fine. But to use god as your justification for creating inequality….is deplorable. I thought god said something about loving EVERYONE. Perhaps I was mistaken, seeing as how this is the message most often lost. So pathetic.

Posted by: Lisa | Apr 26, 2010 8:53:45 PM

6. Seems like people who have no logical explanation tend to use God as an excuse. They think if they include god in every sentence,it will justify their action and behavior. Such a Shame!

Posted by: Chris | Apr 26, 2010 9:39:12 PM

7. I hope that all of those good gay citizens remember this when they praise this bitch for going after the hispanics.

Posted by: Chaz | Apr 26, 2010 10:02:13 PM

8. This lady should step down and let her husband run the state! This is the type of thinking that puts woman barefoot,pregnant and cooking over a stove. I am not gay, I have two boys and a girl on the way and I will never teach this type of backwards thinking to my kids. She should go and hang out with the hillbillies from Kentucky. If anyone wants me to run Arizona Governor just let me know and I know I would do a hell of a lot better job than her. What gives her the right to send the state backwards?

Posted by: Todd l Knight | Apr 26, 2010 11:20:03 PM

9. How many more civil rights will need to be taken away by these Republicans before people realize we cannot let them take more seats in the November election? Arizona, VA and NJ have Republican governors within the past year and look at what has happened. Are we really going to let these kinds of decisions occur in the rest of the country? That's what will happen in November if we don't vote and work to get dems to the polls. Please go to www.ofa.gov and sign up to volunteer to get the vote out, even if it's just a couple of hours a week!

Posted by: KarenT | Apr 27, 2010 12:11:50 AM

10. I thought we were no longer in a time where religion ruled over government. What's next... the Salem Witch Hunt revisited? Instead of progressing we're regressing... Sad, very sad. One thing is to have a spiritual/religious belief, but another is to bring it into the office. Can she actually reverse what's already been put in place? I mean so let's cut off our nose to spite our face, basically because more than just LGBTQs are being affected.

Posted by: Jorge E Rivero | Apr 27, 2010 12:42:56 AM

11. Epic FAIL!

Posted by: MichaelPatrick | Apr 27, 2010 1:30:58 AM

12. Impeach this goddam cunt, now!

Posted by: Patriot | Apr 27, 2010 2:26:11 AM

13. Just sad and wrong...yet another reason to ramp-up the boycott of AZ and all things within!

Posted by: Eric | Apr 27, 2010 2:57:16 AM

14. I can't believe this woman is there any end to her HATE!!!! First the anti Immigration law and now this. Who does she think she is. Come on now, God didn't place her there... The people of Arizona did. What an abuse of power she definatly needs to be IMPEACHED!!!!!

Posted by: RogueLesbian | Apr 27, 2010 4:00:21 AM

15. I never knew God was a racist, homophobic cunt. This bitch needs to be fired. And she needs to stop using God has an excuse for her bigotry.

When she says God is a reason for her actions, it discourages people to actually believe in him. Shameful.

Posted by: Nyah | Apr 27, 2010 5:40:05 AM

16. This just makes me want to hurl! Of all the arrogant, hypocritical, bitches, this one takes the cake!!!

Posted by: Gloria | Apr 27, 2010 9:04:55 AM

17. Wow first racial profiling gets passed and now this? Geez AZ I am glad I got out of there when I did. Such a tragedy.

Posted by: Dustin | Apr 27, 2010 11:30:57 AM

18. GOD DID NOT PUT HER IN THAT POSITION, THE PEOPLE OF ARIZONA DID. SHE IS SUPOOSE TO BE SERVING THEM IN THAT OFFICE, NOT GOD! THAT IS WHAT CHURCH IS FOR.

Posted by: CRiley1970 | Apr 27, 2010 11:46:13 AM

19. " I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." Mohandas Gandhi

Posted by: Rick Cutcliffe | Apr 27, 2010 12:33:56 PM

20. I cannot find a single other news story about this, and it appears the story you linked to on the The Star's website has been removed. What gives?

Posted by: Rob | Apr 27, 2010 1:08:47 PM

21. Seems like a reasonable way to save taxpayers money to me

Posted by: Get a Life | Apr 27, 2010 1:12:19 PM

22. Sooooo...God told her to treat certain people like second-class citizens? What Bible is SHE reading?

Posted by: MrWriteSF | Apr 27, 2010 2:05:43 PM

23. I remember living in Arizona and impeaching Evan Mecham... I think it's time the Impeaching rises again!!!

Posted by: Karol | Apr 27, 2010 2:17:25 PM

24. Am I the only one who is reading this and seeing the words? She did not change anyone's ability to marry or not marry. I read that all she did was change domestic-partner benefits. More than 76% of the people who took advantage of the law were OPPOSITE-SEX PARTNERS -- people who could legally marry but who chose to co-habitat.

Sounds to me like people who don't believe in marriage at all and who also don't believe in God are the one's with the agenda.

I'm not a Christian, so please don't bore me with anti or pro-Christian remarks.

Posted by: Karen | Apr 27, 2010 2:22:42 PM

25. She needs ousted. Now. I will be working to start a petition to get her removed from office.

Posted by: GayInAZ | Apr 27, 2010 3:24:02 PM