Arizona | Gay Marriage | Gay Rights | Jan Brewer | News

BigGayDeal.com

Arizona Governor Takes Away State Domestic Partner Benefits
Says 'God Has Placed Me in This Powerful Position'

Arizona Governor Jan Brewer has eliminated state domestic partner benefits a year after they were implemented, the Arizona Daily Star reports:

Brewer "A bill signed by Gov. Jan Brewer redefined a 'dependent,' canceling the rule change made by Gov. Janet Napolitano that allowed domestic partners to receive benefits. Also eliminated are children of domestic partners, full-time students ages 23-24 and disabled adult dependents. The legislation is in legal review. About 800 state employees are affected, according to the state's administration department...Liz Sawyer, a UA staff member, said the exclusion is 'deplorable and it's tragic.' Sawyer is a spokeswoman for OUTReach, a staff group that lobbies for domestic-partner benefits at UA. Last year 170 UA employees signed up for domestic-partner benefits, she said. Forty were same-sex couples and the remainder were unmarried, opposite-sex couples, she said."

Did God tell Brewer to do it?

"Gov. Jan Brewer said Wednesday that she believes 'God has placed me in this powerful position as Arizona's governor' to help the state weather its troubles. In a wide-ranging speech on the role of religion in politics and in her life, Brewer detailed to a group of pastors of the Missouri Synod of the Lutheran Church how she relies on her faith and in prayer to deal with many of the issues she faces as the state's chief executive. Brewer also said there are times when, during a meeting with staffers, one will suggest praying about an issue. ... But Brewer also said she recognizes the difference between bringing her faith to the office and having an 'agenda.' ... 'The problem with having a political agenda is that we give the impression that we have God's truth,' the governor said. 'We think we can convert God's truth into a political platform, a set of political issues, and that there is 'God's way' in our politics,' Brewer continued. 'I don't believe that for a moment, any more than you believe that God's way is exclusively the Lutheran way.' The governor said, though, she believes it is right — if not inevitable — that elected officials bring their faith to their offices."

Gag.

Comments

1. Separation of church and state...Get her out of office!!!!

Posted by: jham | Apr 29, 2010 4:54:20 PM

2. Man... no wonder folks vilify my faith. This is exactly why I stay at home with my bible instead of going to the church house.

I wouldn't be so arrogant as to presume what God or Christ would do, but something tells me Jesus wouldn't cut off benefits to the needy, the sick, the disabled, or to children. You know, he kind of followed that whole "do unto others" shtick pretty seriously.

Posted by: JD | Apr 29, 2010 5:02:45 PM

3. OK. I find this extremely disturbing. If we FOLLOW God's teaching, then he is the ONE and ONLY who will make decisions on judgement day. It is not OUR place to judge in the meantime. I'm sorry Governor Brewer but I think you need to take a good look around you and never judge a book by its cover. I don't care WHO anyone is, EVERYONE on this earth has something to offer. I hope you will open your eyes and not miss some of the beauty around you just because it maybe doesn't come in a package you understand. God Bless.

Posted by: Robert | Apr 30, 2010 10:01:46 AM

4. She's Satan's toe jam

Posted by: HAZMAT | Apr 30, 2010 3:40:28 PM

5. Deborah; you might want to go back to high school and learn the proper use of "their" "there" and "they're" http://www.wikihow.com/Use-There,-Their-and-They're "well the ones who say that this is ignornant your the one is ignornant you better remember whos in control god is in control and always will be god tells us to fight for our country and our rights this is not there country they are not ciztens here they have no rights its time us americans stand up and fight and take back america

Posted by: OTRDriver1 | May 1, 2010 4:17:00 PM

6. Way to go Governor Jan! Keep up the great work, although the only thing I question is those who are disabled. They still need assistance.
    Keep your focus on God!
    The United States is a Christian nation founded by God!

Posted by: ForGod | May 1, 2010 5:52:17 PM

7. The voters of AZ did NOT elect this nut-job bitch! She got into office because AZ has a stupid system that puts whoever comes in second in the gubernatorial race into the office of Lt. Governor. When Janet Napolitano accepted her current position, that left a political vacuum that sucked Brewer into her current position. Interesting that President Obama selected Janet, thus creating the vacuum which put Brewer where she is. Does this mean she thinks Obama is God? After all, she DID say God put her in her current position! Almost as bad a twinkie as that "Dan Quayle in a wig" from Alaska!

Posted by: Lugh | May 2, 2010 3:26:48 AM

8. Well, good on her I say. Jesus promoted marraige between one man and one womam. Homosexuality is wrong, look in the bible it is a sin, as is living together before you get married. she is not promoting 'hate' as some people have said, she is simply going by what it says in the bible. The reason why God does not want people to do these things is because he wants every person to live a satisfied, victorious life, and he knows that if people do those things, those things will hurt them, and their life wont be what its supposed to be. Quite frankly I dont care who disagrees with me, or who doesnt, this is the truth. If you dont like it , tough.It is sad that the children and disabled people have been caught up in this, but God will find some other way of helping them, I beleive she has done the right thing! Well done, Janet!

Posted by: Nicola | May 2, 2010 12:25:41 PM

9. There should be a law or it should be in the oath when you swear in (if it isn't already) that you must abide by seperation of church and state. If you cannot handle that then your ass should be thrown out of office.

Posted by: Ashley | May 7, 2010 5:25:34 PM

10. Her "god" is getting on the real god's nerves. Yet another reason to BOYCOTT Arizona businesses and tourism.

Posted by: Ann | May 13, 2010 9:34:55 PM

11. We have such a lack of understanding about gays. My very religous family in Holland where my grandparents had 11 children, 5 of which were lesbians or gays. Don't they know yet in this country, that you don't become a homosexual, but are born that way?
    Do you think, that any gay person in this country wanted to be one, knowing how they are murdered, beaten, and can be fired for being one?
    I am glad that my Calvinist grandparents never saw anything different amongst their children and neither does the Dutch nation, where gays openly serve in the military and enjoy a normal life. I hope and pray that one day this nation will wake up and discover that the old writings of 2000 years ago, don't hold truth in this age. We know more about the human body these days.
    Wake up America, your children need you!

Posted by: dutch girl | May 16, 2010 3:36:37 PM

12. Deborah and Nicola: 2 wingnut fanatical un-Christian, un-American, and un-healthy idiots. they are the 666 tramps!

Posted by: FunMe | May 18, 2010 6:44:32 PM

13. this bitch needs to go.

Posted by: nic | Jun 8, 2010 5:11:10 PM

14. Calling names won't work. It's time to fight back against these people with their own arguments. Start reminding them what it says in the Bible, all in Matthew, Chapter 7.

Verses 15-16: "Beware false prophets who come to you in sheep's clothing but inwardly are ravening wolves. Ye shall know them by their fruits."

Verses 21-23: "Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven, but he that doeth the will of my Father, who is in heaven. Many will say unto me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? And in thy name have cast out demons? And in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you; depart from me, ye that work iniquity."

And what is the main teaching all Christians are supposed to follow?

Verse 12: "Therefore, all things whatever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets."

And if people like this...this female person...who claim to be Christian ain't doin' this, they ain't Christian and need to be called on their hypocrisy.

Posted by: Kyle Sullivan | Jun 8, 2010 6:59:04 PM

15. Someone needs to remove this woman from office ASAP... before she can do any more damage.

Posted by: Nuttsy1la | Jun 8, 2010 10:14:33 PM

16. "Even the Devil can quote scripture".

What a bitch. Arizona is doing its best to be the most backward state in the US, it seems...

Posted by: wirrrn | Jun 9, 2010 2:45:08 AM

17. Oh HELL no.

It is absolutely despicable when somebody gets on a moral high ground using their faith, not to mention the added sting of patronizing.

Posted by: Olivia | Jun 11, 2010 12:37:40 AM

18. Dear Jan,

I am for you and your agenda.

Keep on Keeping on

Ruth Lorraine

Posted by: Ruth Reed | Jun 29, 2010 5:33:36 PM

19. Thank GOD for Jan Brewer. The posts on this board are from a bunch of people who have no moral compass. They think they can do whatever they want without any consequences from the God of Abraham.

Most don't believe in this God. Let me say something else... ALL knees will bow before Him and at that time if He says, "I don't know you", enjoy eternity in a lot of heat hotter than AZ. Enjoy your pitiful lives now. If you haven't noticed the U.S. is in hell and the heat is getting hotter.

I am sick of stupid, ignorant people. Wake up, smell the coffee and act like you resemble some sort of human form with moral.

Posted by: MichaelB | Jul 8, 2010 8:33:10 AM

20. Queers should move to the middle east. This is the land of God, you want evil, move to the middle east. Let them cut your head off, lol. Queers living together is child abuse in my mind. You're allowing children to watch you and is contributing to the delinquency of that child. Boys don't put penis in anuses. Watch animals breed. What normal human would condone this behavior? Be an example for children, not an evil monster. I suppose children should be allowed to do heroin too ehh? Why not give them gas cans and lighters too? If it was up to me it would be legal to whip out a pistol and pop queers off at the drop of a hat. Sorry, but I'm a man of law and righteousness and I don't need a Bible to tell me that

Posted by: Ken | Aug 9, 2010 10:41:46 AM

21. She needs to be challenged under Article 6 of the US Constitution that says there will be no religious test for the public trust i.e. the laws and statutes.

When Jan Brewhaha said she could do it because of her interptation of God, then she violated the US Constitution. SHe needs to be removed and she needs to be take to court for her willful violation of separation of Church and State as stated in Article 6.

Posted by: Ervs | Sep 3, 2010 6:15:22 PM