Canada | Crime | News | Ontario

BigGayDeal.com

Ontario Man Jumps from Moving Truck to Escape Gay Basher

Another gay bashing in Ontario, Canada, this one in the city of London, happened less than a week after Jake Raynard was beaten by a gang in Thunder Bay.

Xtra reports:Brandonwright

"Brandon Wright, an event manager and modelling agent, says a man who called himself Alex approached him online via instant messenger. The man told Wright he was an aspiring model looking for work. Wright arranged to meet Alex near a variety store on Kipps Ln near Adelaide St in London. After meeting, Wright told the man that he wouldn’t be able to help him find a modelling job.  'He just didn’t have the looks for it,' says Wright.  The man then told Wright that he wanted to show him something in his truck. When Wright climbed into the passenger side he says the man said, 'Because you’re gay you need to be punished. I’m going to fucking kill you and you’re a faggot.' The man then drove off with Wright still in the passenger seat. 'He started hitting me with a big, black, heavy object,' says Wright. 'He kept repeating, 'I’m going to fucking kill you faggot.'' Wright says the attack continued even while the man was driving. Wright jumped out of the moving truck to escape."

Wright says he was helped by bystanders. Police say they have a lead on the subject, who reportedly said he was from Thunder Bay.

Comments

1. Thunder Bay must be a real shit hole if it attracts these droves of homophobic losers.

Posted by: Wheezy | Sep 14, 2009 8:22:59 PM

2. How are you unable to force an accident in this scenario? At least there are witnesses this time so the likelihood of a fake goes down.

Posted by: KJ | Sep 14, 2009 9:10:08 PM

3. Holy crap! What is going on in Ontario?

Posted by: MitchNYC | Sep 14, 2009 9:40:43 PM

4. While the bashing is absolutely despicable, I can't say I'm quite convinced of Wright's account of events.

I mean: if the stranger / aspiring model simply wanted to show him something in his truck, I don't quite understand why Wright would be climbing into the passenger's seat.

Unless Wright is absolutely naive and has no common sense to know that he should NOT be climbing into the passenger's seat of a stranger's car, then I say something else has transpired between the two that Wright is simply not revealing...

Posted by: Smokey | Sep 14, 2009 11:01:05 PM

5. I live in London. I thought the Thunder Bay bashing was too close to home but if he's telling the truth this is really frightening. Simply disgusting.

Posted by: Andrew | Sep 14, 2009 11:05:09 PM

6. Agree with Smokey. There's some obvious lies in his story or he's the dumbest man on the planet.

Posted by: unruly | Sep 15, 2009 12:11:31 AM

7. Hook up gone wrong.

It doesn't make the attack okay, but come on dude, try a little harder with your bullshit.

Posted by: Scott | Sep 15, 2009 12:48:37 AM

8. Smokey,

I completely agree with you and immediately thought the same thing.

Yes, this was HORRIBLE, but he's not telling the whole story here. Who gets into a strangers truck when they say, "I want to show you something". He was probably lured into the truck with false sexual advances and is too embarrassed to admit it.

Posted by: Jake | Sep 15, 2009 12:55:18 AM

9. The modeling agent is the guy whose face is busted up because he told "Alex" he did not have the looks needed. Alex got mad apparently.

Dear Modeling agent Wright: How about you arrange to meet your next potential model in some business office and conduct business there. Not near some variety store. Just a thought. Being more professional helps.

Posted by: Sargon Bighorn | Sep 15, 2009 1:27:35 AM

10. My gut tells me Mr. Wright may not be telling the whole truth.

Posted by: nikko | Sep 15, 2009 2:25:22 AM

11. Who arranges to meet potential models at a variety store? Sounds more like a hookup guise he's got going on.

Hope he's telling the whole truth, otherwise his claims will be considered less serious by others. If it was a hookup, just say it. It doesn't make a bashing acceptable.

Posted by: Nathan | Sep 15, 2009 7:27:01 AM

12. Oh man, I went to university in London, Ontario and I know Kipps Lane and Adelaide pretty well. It's not the nicest part of town but there are plenty of cheap apartments for students. It feels very transient/low rent and has a weird mix of slumming middle class students and new immigrants/rough-around-the-edges working poor. The two groups do not mix. I think I can even guess the variety store where the meeting would have taken place (a Hasty Market, I think). This would not have been a sensible place to meet anyone for the first time.

Something in this story is not adding up...

Posted by: seeldee | Sep 15, 2009 9:42:23 AM

13. the story in the paper in the city in which is happened is totally different.He say's this person approached him at the store saying he thought he knew him,which he said he did'nt think so.He then accepted a ride from him to a mall to meet a friend and he started beating him while driving there and he jumped out.Weird there's two different stories....

Posted by: sean | Sep 15, 2009 11:20:32 AM

14. It mentions nothing of him working for a modeling agency in the paper here.

Posted by: sean | Sep 15, 2009 11:26:41 AM

15. I had the same thought as many others about this story not adding up. In addition to the other points mentioned above, note the contrived dialogue: 'Because you’re gay you need to be punished. I’m going to fucking kill you and you’re a faggot.' Who talks like that? Someone would just say, "I'm gonna kill you, faggot." I'm hoping that, if this is a fabrication, it doesn't diminish the attention paid to real stories of anti-gay violence.

Posted by: Guest | Sep 15, 2009 1:28:12 PM

16. Neither story makes a whole lot of sense. The fact that there are two of them makes it even worse.

The bashing was bad enough, but the obvious lying will cost him alot more.

Posted by: Lee Adama | Sep 15, 2009 1:32:39 PM

17. Ugh, yet another reason why YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE SEX WITH RANDOM PEOPLE YOU MEET ON THE INTERNET! Especially, since this is clearly the subtext of this story.

Posted by: Cameron | Sep 15, 2009 3:46:52 PM

18. Horrible what happened to this guy. Horrible too, IF it happens to be that the victim used job promises to lure guys into doing sex. I mean, nothing justifies violence, never. And nothing justifies playing with peoples needs, never.

Posted by: Lexxvs | Sep 15, 2009 4:00:09 PM

19. I'm just sick to my stomach over this. I AM FROM THUNDER BAY -- born and raised -- and find it so disturbing that people from my town could be filled with so much hate.
    It's so so wrong. I can only hope justice/karma reigns.

Posted by: PG | Sep 15, 2009 4:46:49 PM

20. You can track the progress of this story here:

Posted by: Smokey | Sep 15, 2009 7:49:23 PM

21. The Thunder Bay story has its share of inconsistencies. The guys two friends jumped in a cab and left, leaving their friend to get beaten by a group of men? Some friends. How did the attackers know this individual was gay if they were just standing outside a bar having a smoke after it was closed? Its not a gay bar, though it does welcome gays. Don't call this a hate crime until the police have concluded their investigation. Seems to be more of a fight-gone-bad and this guys too embarrassed to admit he got his ass handed to him. A group beating surely would have resulted in more bodily injury, not only to his face.

Posted by: geek_patrol | Sep 15, 2009 9:08:47 PM

22. So I take it his attacker is white? Seems like homophobia is an epidemic in the white community.

Posted by: sugarrhill | Sep 16, 2009 1:27:42 AM

23. I think its disgusting that so much blaming the victim continues in this day and age, at least when the victim is gay anyways, I thought that sort of thing died off a long time ago but I guess not. I can't imagine why some people think they know better what happened than Brandon himself, you got just a small bit of the story in the news and from that you conclude Brandon's story doesn't add up? look at his face, do you think that's make up? No wonder so many don't report gay bashings when this is the sort of reaction from the "community", London sure has a lot to learn form Thunder Bay about supporting the victims of violence, what a difference in the two different community reactions, Londoners attacked the victim while in Thunder Bay they supported him, what's up with that?

Posted by: Rich | Sep 16, 2009 11:21:48 PM

24. this should not have happened to any one
    it doesnt give any one a right to beat some one else up .

Posted by: Wesley | May 26, 2011 8:26:13 PM