David Bowie | Malaysia | Nature | News

BigGayDeal.com

Rare Yellow Hairy Malaysian Spider Named for David Bowie

Heteropoda-davidbowie

The Guardian reports on Heteropoda davidbowie: "The giant yellow – and very hairy – spider...is the most recent discovery of German spider specialist Peter Jäger, who has found 200 new species in the past 10 years. Most of these arachnids are endangered, and by naming spiders after celebrities Jäger hopes to attract public attention to the dangers facing each species. 'It is working against time,' he says. 'Along with the species, we are also quickly losing genetic resources that have evolved over more than 300 million years.'"

Comments

1. So it's a spider from Mars?

Posted by: crispy | Sep 8, 2009 2:48:29 PM

2. that is DEFINITELY something you should put after the jump, for those of us who are arachnophobic! I won't be able to visit Towleroad for a week.

Posted by: j in mtl | Sep 8, 2009 2:58:19 PM

3. I can see why. The resemblance is uncanny.

Posted by: Wrecks | Sep 8, 2009 4:44:24 PM

4. This an amazing creature!!! ...and photo!!! An incredible honor for Mr Bowie I would say.

Not to brag but I've found 3 previously unlisted species for this little island where I live (not new species to science but new for this little rock). We also have several endemics, as in found nowhere else on earth!!! One was named in honor of the NGO I worked with as a Peace Corps Volunteer. An honor indeed!

Posted by: castaway | Sep 8, 2009 5:27:17 PM

5. Too bad it doesn't have one blue and one brown eye, like its namesake.

Posted by: Paul R | Sep 8, 2009 5:45:57 PM

6. Personally, I would have picked Marc Bolan, but whatever....

Posted by: Zinc Alloy | Sep 8, 2009 10:54:34 PM

7. What a nasty little creature. Endangered or not, I'd stomp the hell out of it.

For those of us terrified of spiders, it's a nasty little image to get out of your head. Thankfully those fuckers don't live in the USA.

Posted by: Brad | Sep 9, 2009 12:04:58 AM

8. What a beautiful spider! This queer entomologist gives eight thumbs up!

And Brad- Huntsmen Spiders are common all over the world, including the USA- luckily for you, they're completely harmless, so your stomping ability would be just smiting beautiful, endangered and completely innocuous animal...

Posted by: wirrrn | Sep 10, 2009 1:15:39 AM

9. IT is an amazing looking spider. They freak me out. I usually save them though and take them outside.. figure they will eat bugs or get eaten.

Posted by: cmh | Sep 30, 2009 11:08:00 PM