Barney Frank | DOMA | Gay Marriage | Jerrold Nadler | News

BigGayDeal.com

Rep. Jerrold Nadler (D-NY) to Introduce DOMA Repeal Bill Tuesday

I mentioned this briefly yesterday, but the Washington Blade has more details:

Nadler "Rep. Jerry Nadler (D-N.Y.) intends Tuesday to submit legislation that would repeal the Defense of Marriage Act and answer questions at a Capitol Hill press conference. The event is set for 11 a.m. at the House Triangle, near the southern steps of the Capitol Building. Nadler first told the Bay Area Reporter that he intended to introduce a repeal bill and that the legislation would only affect same-sex marriages — not civil unions or domestic partnerships...Gay Reps. Tammy Baldwin (D-Wis.) and Jared Polis (D-Colo.) will co-sponsor the legislation, but Rep. Barney Frank (D-Mass.) hasn't signed on in support."

Frank told the Blade he doesn't feel the bill can pass in the near term: "I think getting [the Employment Non-Discrimination Act], a repeal of 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell,' and full domestic partner benefits for federal employees will take up all of what we can do and maybe more in this Congress."

Frank also said he feels that lawsuits currently underway challenging DOMA have a better chance of having it overturned than legislation.

Comments

1. "Nadler emphasized that the proposed bill wouldn't force any state to marry gay couples or recognize same-sex couples under state law.

"Our bill allows states to continue deciding those questions, while ensuring uniform access to critically important federal responsibilities and rights that hinge on marriage and upon which all married couples should be able to rely," he said.

The above is the part that made me think it's only a partial repeal. If I'm interpreting the article wrong I apologize but it doesn't sound like a full repeal.

Posted by: msark | Sep 12, 2009 2:11:55 PM

2. Ah, Towleroad. Where a complete lack of understanding of an issue—or law—never stops any commenter from blathering on about it.

I do hear DR has some rather fabulous tattoos, though.

Posted by: 24play | Sep 12, 2009 3:43:42 PM

3. To Wes on page 1:

"Speaking of wasting resources, The Ryan White Act, which funds most of the meds and blood tests for those with HIV/AIDS, expires on October 1, and so far, no congressperson, as near as I can tell, has introduced renewal legislation"

According to Wikipedia the Ryan White Act was reauthorized in 2006 and signed by George W. Bush.

Posted by: mcc | Sep 12, 2009 4:09:26 PM

4. DR ought to move to Massachusetts if he wants to get married. Blaming Barney for the bigotry of other states is just jealousy. Barney Frank is a smart politico who wants to move policy forward and not waste time on symbolic but losing efforts.

Posted by: Brian from Tucson | Sep 12, 2009 7:00:24 PM

5. To MCC: Thanks for writing re my comment on page 1 about the Ryan White Act. You're right. Bush did reauthorize the it in 2006. For three years. It expires this month on Sept. 30. So far, no one in Congress or the gay community has talked about renewing it. Everyone's too obsessed with marriage. It's going to be sad if Bush ends up having a better HIV/AIDS record than Obama's...and that's the way it's looking so far, isn't it?

Posted by: wes | Sep 13, 2009 3:54:33 AM

6. Barney is quickly becoming a coward. He'll call a nutjob at a town meeting an alien for giggles, but still supports and gives money to those who insist we remain second-class citizens. Sounds like he's on the wrong side to me.

And I shouldn't have to move; I thought I lived in a country where equal rights meant something. I guess it only means something in 6 states.

If the section of DOMA which deals with Section 2 of the law, which says those states that outlaw same-sex marriages do not have to recognize legal same-sex marriages from other states becomes void, that opens up a LOT of doors and legal challenges to state prohibitions.

*ignores the ad hominem attacks*

Posted by: DR | Sep 13, 2009 8:53:12 AM