Fashion Men | News | Thom Browne

BigGayDeal.com

Thom Browne's Spring 2010 Look: Mushmouth Chic

Mushmouth1

Some great photos by Jak and Jil of designer Thom Browne's ridiculous Spring 2010 New York show, which featured plenty of polka dots, Clara Bow lipstick, and a few Mushmouth-style helmets with built-in mirrored sunglasses.

Mushmouth2

The line-up backstage.

Mushmouth3

More at Jak and Jill.

Comments

1. Thom Browne's clothes have often been more conceptual than wearable. It's about the ideas and how they will filter down into all the fingers of fashion. I can see what he's doing with the construction of the jackets being seen in jackets you buy at larger retailers in a couple of years.

Posted by: Ben | Sep 17, 2009 11:47:58 AM

2. "Cirque du So-bad" auditions draws 10's of hopefuls.

Posted by: The Realist | Sep 17, 2009 11:49:16 AM

3. Andy, are you sure you're not getting thom browne's spring 2010 look mixed up with Barnum and Bailey's clown auditions for 2010.

Either that or it's a professional clown unemployment line. This recession really is hitting every profession :)

Posted by: matthew | Sep 17, 2009 11:56:34 AM

4. I'll give you not wearable, but not original? not interesting? I think it is at least both of those things or we wouldn't be so challenged by it. As a designer for a more classic men's brand, I too often take issue with Thom Browne's aesthetic but his impact on recent contemporary menswear is undeniable. Of course he wouldn't expect anyone to wear this stuff right off the runway. He IS an avant garde designer (one of the US's only, I might add), and the purpose of such a presentation is to challenge, provoke, and push the envelope. Rooted in "the crazy" are the elements of the more saleable looks that will show up in his wholesale line. When I look at the pictures, I see a terrific classic seersucker jacket with repair stitch, direction on shorts lengths and a cool shoe choice I might want to wear next summer with a short. I see a continuation of shrunken/cropped suit fits with some very cool athleticwear details and some terrific knitwear ideas (I like the vertical parallel stripes showing up in sweaters and bottoms.) Anyway, only time will tell whether this particular concept will have any relevance. I'd invite those of you that wrote this off so quickly to take another look and see if there might be a different perspective through which you could appreciate some of the concepts shown.

Posted by: Dave Johnson | Sep 17, 2009 12:01:04 PM

5. I know who the next to get booted from Project Runway will be.

Posted by: Uflyguy | Sep 17, 2009 12:05:10 PM

6. at least the models faces were covered.

Posted by: Ben | Sep 17, 2009 12:14:23 PM

7. It reminds me of the I Love Lucy episode in Paris where Ricky and Fred give the girls clothes they themselves designed out of potato sacks, a feed bag and a champagne bucket.

Posted by: BobC562 | Sep 17, 2009 12:17:37 PM

8. My best guess is Courreges inspired
    60's Modernism for the present.

Posted by: John | Sep 17, 2009 12:27:27 PM

9. @ Matthew:
    I took a second look. I still see fugly unwearable polka dots. And the shrunken suits may have made it onto the streets of NYC, but no-where else. And even in NYC, I laugh every time I see it. This is not fashion. It's retarded. & embarrassing that this is considered avant garde American fashion.

Posted by: mrmnyc | Sep 17, 2009 12:33:05 PM

10. This is what I don't understand about the fashion world and maybe someone can hlpe me with this: These designers make these outlandish pieces for their shows. Of course no one is going to buy/wear them except for one or two eccentrics with bad taste, IF that. So, where do they get the money from to keep making this horrible crap year after year? What happens to the unsold pieces? Couldn't this money (and fabric) be better used to clothe and feed the homeless or educate children or find a cure for AIDS?

Posted by: Q | Sep 17, 2009 1:24:28 PM

11. See gay men, this is the problem with integrating with the straights. The majority of you sound like a bunch of straight men in plaid shirts and saggy butt jean drinking your Coors light making fun of the queers.

We've lost our fabulousness, our uniqueness, or spark of genius that sets us apart. Now we're just part of the dull mainstream.

I need a martini and a Virginia Slims!

(sarcasm)
    Although there are a couple pieces I do find interesting.

Posted by: jakeinlove | Sep 17, 2009 1:36:38 PM

12. BOBC562; This is a site loaded with gay men. You coulda just stopped at "It reminds me of the I Love Lucy episode"

Posted by: joe c | Sep 17, 2009 1:42:33 PM

13. The Emperor has no clothes............

Posted by: Bob West | Sep 17, 2009 1:59:12 PM

14. Where are the fashion police when you need them?
    Not even NYC deserves these fates.
    Can you imagine if someone wearing one of these outfits would show up for a Rush Lamebaugh taping!

Posted by: carter | Sep 17, 2009 2:13:24 PM

15. Gee, that was a nice career while it lasted. Hideous.

Posted by: mike | Sep 17, 2009 2:32:58 PM

16. you guys talking about Dumb Donald and Mush Mouth gave me an idea, by the way the funky hat belongs to Dumb Donald from what I found out...BUT here is the idea for the fashion world, why not do an updated line of Fat Albert fashions? I was looking at Dumb Donald and everyone and some of those urban 70's ghetto looks are pretty damn cool looking..the colors are a bit bright but ...well go look at a picture of all the characters from Fat Albert and tell me they aren't better than what you see being shown on this runway?

Posted by: john | Sep 17, 2009 5:13:44 PM

17. Again New York proves how irrelevant and out of touch it really is.

Posted by: Mark | Sep 17, 2009 9:00:30 PM

18. This crap reminds me of when Fred & Ricky made dresses out of Burlap sacks and buckets for Lucy & Ethel only to have the look ripped off by a famous Coturier.

Thom Browne has to be the worst,most publicized designer in the whole world. I have never seen anyone wear anything of his. Is he rich by birth? Whi is buying this shit other than a few tragic fashion victims and editors at Conde Nasty?

Posted by: Derek Washington | Sep 18, 2009 3:14:57 AM

19. I've never seen Thom's clothes on anyone, or in store's i shop in. I guess they're for a certain group of people. No one that i know ( i wouldn't want to be seen with someone wearing them).

Posted by: JEFF | Sep 21, 2009 1:44:17 PM

20. Who pays for this so called collection, the backers do. How some of these designers stay in business, who knows. I do think the dots are cute, for underwear & PJ's maybe. When you see Thom, it always looks like his clothes have shrunk. Give me Armani any day.

Posted by: JEFF | Sep 22, 2009 10:27:13 AM

21. I think the show was fun. Have some imagination people. Fashion shows aren't necessarily about clothes you are going to wear to the supermarket or even out to a nice dinner. Sometimes it is about art and inspiration.

Posted by: Ryan | Sep 23, 2009 5:56:24 PM