Boyzone Singer Stephen Gately Found Dead

Gately

Stephen Gately (right), a member of the British boyband Boyzone, has been found dead in a hotel room in Majorca while on vacation. He was 33:

"A close friend said it appeared Stephen died after going out in Majorca, where he was on holiday. 'It looks like he went out for a few drinks, then got back, fell asleep and never woke up,' the pal said. Early this morning Boyzone manager Louis Walsh told us: 'We're all absolutely devastated. I'm in complete shock. I was only with him on Monday at an awards ceremony. We don't know much about what's happened yet.' ...All four remaining members of Boyzone - who recently reunited - will be flying to Palma, Majorca tomorrow. Boyzone star Shane Lynch said: 'Me and the boys are flying out in the morning.  We just need to get over to where he's passed and work out what we need to do.'"

The details behind Gately's death have not emerged. He is survived by Andy Cowles (above, left), whom he married in a civil partnership in 2006. Cowles was featured with Gately in the band's video for "Better" in 2008.

Comments

1. Rip

definitely my idol when i was young

Posted by: Slide | Oct 11, 2009 9:44:08 AM

2. Untied Kingdom also includes Northern Ireland.

UnTIED - that's a hoot - Freudian??

I AM NO IDIOT, and I am a big fan of Boyzone and have most of their CD's and many videos on YouTube saved to my favorites. The surprise of this loss is felt deeply. THAT is why I was surprised at this animosity over British/Irish. I posted my thoughts, and then voila, some of that animosity was heaped upon me.

Geez guys, let us ALL grieve this loss without geo-animosity, okay??

Posted by: Mark | Oct 11, 2009 9:51:17 AM

3. It's OK if you do'nt like Irish people and it's OK if you do'nt think much of our soccer team.You must have SHIT between your ears !

Posted by: Brendan | Oct 11, 2009 9:53:43 AM

4. I don't like guys named Roger. They all have small dicks.

Posted by: Sean | Oct 11, 2009 10:12:42 AM

5. @ Roger , you deserve the title of worst post on this .

Posted by: seb38 | Oct 11, 2009 10:14:07 AM

6. Terrible news.
    @Roger and Bunker, your idiotic comments are not appreciated. Take them over to Perez.

Posted by: FernLaPlante | Oct 11, 2009 11:13:51 AM

7. Did I access DATALOUNGE by mistake? Who gives a fuck about Irish/English? The guy died. Have some respect.

Posted by: CB | Oct 11, 2009 11:39:09 AM

8. Erm, not sure why you don't know this but his partner was arrested for beating him up. It's really rude to say it's drugs as if it's someone's fault.

Why do people end up doing drugs? Because they are so happy and life is full of daffoldils?

DV between men needs to be made more aware. So sad.

Posted by: Rowan | Oct 11, 2009 11:50:40 AM

9. For the most part, you are all quite unbelievable. Irish, British..is it really that important in the scheme of things?

Posted by: randy | Oct 11, 2009 12:04:30 PM

10. What a sad loss... I was really shocked to read about this... he was a great singer, cute guy and I am sure that his husband and family must be devastated by this tragedy! R.I.P. Stephen... condolences to Andy and family...

Posted by: CKNJ | Oct 11, 2009 12:06:02 PM

11. Nobody is belittling Stephen Gately's death by reminding that he was Irish. If anything they're praising him. The Dublin-born boy was probably their second most famous gay guy after Oscar Wilde. Popular sentiment would be that enough has been stolen from Ireland over the centuries, so don't steal our Gately.

Posted by: AnotherNYCguy | Oct 11, 2009 12:10:32 PM

12. A man has died, his partner and many others are in mourning... so of course the best thing to do is get political.. sheesh

Posted by: Zach | Oct 11, 2009 1:15:30 PM

13. I dont like people called Roger. as in my life experience they are all twats and racist fruits!

Posted by: Paddy Irishman | Oct 11, 2009 1:39:51 PM

14. I had Stephen's debut solo album when it was released..

Very sad news....

Posted by: zeke | Oct 11, 2009 3:32:07 PM

15. This is really sad. I became a Boyzone fan after Stephen came out. I loved their music and I loved his courage to be who he was. My heart goes out to his family, his partner, the other members of the band, and his friends.

@Rowan: I've scoured the internet looking for the evidence of his partner being in jail for domestic violence and found nothing. If you're gonna claim this and want to be taken seriously, please cite your source.

Posted by: Steve | Oct 11, 2009 5:43:58 PM

16. Very sad. I send my sympathies to his husband and family.

Posted by: Bill | Oct 11, 2009 6:33:00 PM

17. Boyzone are Irish not British. This is terrible news, RIP Steven Gately.

Posted by: Chris | Oct 11, 2009 6:46:58 PM

18. Very sad news indeed. Even our former Taoiseach (Prime Minister) expressed his condolences to Andy and Stephen's family this morning.

Also, referring to Irish artists as "British" is a sure way to irritate all of your Irish readers, Towleroad. Boyzone is comprised exclusively of ethnically Irish men from Dublin. There's nothing British about them and it just really look unprofessional to call them "British".

Posted by: DavidG | Oct 11, 2009 7:04:39 PM

19. It's not that we mean to get too pissy about the Irish/English thing, but it really DOES matter. It would be like referring to an American star as "Mexican" or "Canadian", but even moreso because of the varied hostilities, more or less, between Ireland and England, which carries over into the U.S., though those in less ethnic American towns seem to sometimes be unaware of it. But let's not be hostile with each other. That said, I'm still very saddened by Gately's death. Still a shocker.

Posted by: AnotherNYCguy | Oct 11, 2009 8:07:18 PM

20. @ Roger, I hate to say it, but your post did make me LOL. Shame on you!

Now to the topic at hand, Gately was a dignified and talented voice for equal rights in the UK and beyond. The fact that Boyzone's fans stuck with them completely after his coming out put the lie to the old canard that coming out ruins careers. Hasn't done Will Young any harm, either, IMHO.

Gately's passing is significant if only for this, but of course there's the music which was the best of its breed (love it or hate it, you can't deny the basic talent of Gately and Keating, at least).

RIP, Stephen, and condolences to those you left behind.

Posted by: Pinky | Oct 11, 2009 9:32:03 PM

21. So tragic for his husband and family.

To those saying it is impossible to die of natural causes at 33, that is nonsense. One of my friends dropped dead from a heart condition he didn't know he had, he was only 20 and seemed very fit and healthy. At this stage, nobody knows what happened, just seems like he died in his sleep.

Posted by: insurance | Oct 12, 2009 2:28:42 AM

22. Imagine thinking Ireland is Britain. Just shows the lack of education in the UK schools!

Posted by: Emma Jones | Oct 12, 2009 4:51:56 AM

23. my condolence goes to his husband and also his member. may his gentle soul rest in peace.
    one thing i wnt to ask u guy arguing tht stephen gately is an irish or britain which counntry is nt good ? i wnt u guy to remembet tht evryone w die one day.and tht is the way they w say bad thng abt u guys tht says bad thng abt him or abt irish.
    fuck u bad people. rest in peace stephen gately.

Posted by: Toyeen | Oct 12, 2009 6:13:05 AM

24. So sad that someone so young and talented should leave so suddenly. Also very sobering for all of us because neither he nor anyone else knew this was coming.

Regarding the discussion about Irish vs British it's amazing how ignorant people are....

Great Britain is England, Wales and Scotland. The UK is more formally known as "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland". So, the UK includes England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. It does not include the Republic Of Ireland. The Republic of Ireland is where Boyzone (including Stephen) are from. People from the Republic of Ireland do not have British passports and are not British Citizens. They have a totally separate government which has absolutely nothing to do with Great Britain or the UK.

Texas is part of the USA. The Republic of Ireland is not part of the UK, nor is is part of Great Britain.

The only small respect in which the "geography" lesson is a little bit relevant is the the term "British Isles" is sometimes thought to include the whole of Ireland but that's irrelevent really. You try telling any Irishman from Dublin (or Cork or wherever) that he is British and see how he reacts. I suggest you are wearing good running shoes!

I think Stephen would want to be remembered as the Irishman he was but I'm British so what would I know?

Posted by: Peter | Oct 12, 2009 7:28:47 AM

25. dublin is not part of britain or the uk or any other country dublin is the capital of ireland

Posted by: jonney | Oct 12, 2009 8:06:29 AM