Denmark | Film | Rome

Brotherhood: Gay Neo-Nazi Romance Wins Rome Film Festival

Brotherhood

Brotherhood, a Danish film about a gay neo-Nazi romance, has won the Rome Film Festival:

"The winning movie, 'Brotherhood,' takes a hard look at the neo-Nazi group that the leading character, Lars, joins after leaving the army. The group carries out raids on homosexuals, but Lars and his mentor in the group, Jimmy, begin a love affair that they try to keep secret. 'Brotherhood' is the first feature film by Nicolo Donato, a 35-year-old who previously worked as a fashion photographer. The jury handing out the awards was headed by Oscar-winning director Milos Forman."

Watch the trailer, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Well, I'm sure this one's gonna have a happy ending.

In all seriousness, though, it looks very well-done and intriguing.

Posted by: Aaron | Oct 26, 2009 12:20:10 PM

2. Any chance of a trailer with subtitles out there?

Posted by: Jonathan | Oct 26, 2009 12:41:55 PM

3. Homo Nazis. That aint nothing new. We got them here on Towleroad. Just let Andy post a story about a black homophobe--and here they come: the Homo Nazi Brigade...from the Ernst Roehm School of Gay.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Oct 26, 2009 1:12:20 PM

4. Sorry actually I am MisterMovies@youtube because of my Movie Site www.movieplex.org.

I tried hard to find one with Subs but that was the only trailer I could find. Si I D/L'ed it and then upped it to YouTube.

I'll keep my eyes out though

Posted by: Wolfie | Oct 26, 2009 2:01:03 PM

5. Just what we need... A movie that ties homosexuals with the Nazis. Christ on a crutch! How many of you are gonna drool over the cast too?

Honestly I'm beginning to think that homosexuality IS internalized homophobia.

Posted by: Marc | Oct 26, 2009 2:42:01 PM

6. @Derrick

Sadly, that was my initial reaction as well.

Posted by: John | Oct 26, 2009 3:12:07 PM

7. @ Derrick

EXACTLY.

Posted by: Rowan | Oct 26, 2009 6:44:10 PM

8. @ Derrick makes a great point

Posted by: db | Oct 26, 2009 7:33:40 PM

9. Those Italians have had a thing for the Germans since WWII.

Posted by: JT | Oct 26, 2009 8:36:05 PM

10. No surprise. Euro hipsters are obsessed with homosexuality, Nazis, Fascists, Communism, and gratuitous anti-Americanism.

BTW: this film mimics numerous real life stories; it really is an example of art imitating life.

Posted by: John in Boston | Oct 26, 2009 9:00:33 PM

11. Just like there are more than a few black gay and bi rappers on the DL.

Posted by: John in Boston | Oct 26, 2009 9:17:41 PM

12. It wasn't until the 1:03 mark that I realized they weren't speaking English. How sad is that?

Posted by: Thomas | Oct 26, 2009 9:49:01 PM

13. Wow. Goes to show that U can romanticize pretty much anything long as you have the right soundtrack.

Posted by: Brandon | Oct 27, 2009 3:31:54 AM

14. I was lucky enough to see this film at the Black Night Film Festival in Tallinn Estonia.

Incredible film that could have been shot in UK. You know how some uadiences gets up and start walking out when the first credit titles appear - well not here ! They sat till the last of the end titles rolled over the screen. It hits you and it hits you HARD !!

If you are lucky enough to get a chance to see the film do not miss out on that !

Posted by: GertJan | Jan 8, 2010 1:18:30 AM