Bryan Safi | Gay Slurs | Hip-Hop | News

BigGayDeal.com

Defusing Gay Situations with the Phrase 'No Homo'

Nohomo

Infomania's Bryan Safi takes a look at how str8 dudes online and rappers get out of gay situations with the phrase "no homo", AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. That's hilarious! I'll have to remember that next time I'm sandwiched between two guys. :)

Posted by: J.P. | Oct 8, 2009 11:58:49 AM

2. Didn't Lil Wayne just record a song with Madonna? Sister's gonna need something stronger than "No homo."

PS: Why is he named Lil?

Posted by: crispy | Oct 8, 2009 12:02:18 PM

3. Blogger and DJ Jay Smooth did a great history/commentary on "no homo" last year. Enjoy.

Posted by: Carlie | Oct 8, 2009 12:07:18 PM

4. Black and homophobic,no it can't be. Well maybe these drug-infested,violent,mysognistic thugs find Jesus just when it comes to gays,oh yeah thats it. Just like their moms who go to low-rent preachers every sunday who spew homophobic drivel they feel they have a free pass to be uneducated homophobes.

Posted by: chad | Oct 8, 2009 12:33:08 PM

5. The next time I compliment a co-worker on her new shoes I'm followin right up with: No Hetero

Posted by: christopher | Oct 8, 2009 12:36:20 PM

6. "Black and homophobic,no it can't be."

Towleroad's new resident white racist homo, no it can't be. Those roles belongs to Sargon Bighorn and Oscar in Miami.

CHAD, everytime you think of blacks and ghettos, blacks and drugs, blacks and violence--I want you to go to the nearest river in your home town. Then picture the First Family of the United States in your mind. Then, look down at the water--the water-- way way down below the bridge, CHAD....the water.

Look, look down, CHAD, you know what needs to be done. You'll be free, CHAD...free of all the blacks-- once and for all.

Of course, your frustration will only come back in the great Hereafter when you find out that the Good Lord is the spitting image of Anwar Sadat.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Oct 8, 2009 12:57:17 PM

7. Bryan is hilarious, as always. And Christopher, please do...that would be absolutely hilarious! :)

Posted by: Rhea | Oct 8, 2009 1:11:43 PM

8. "Black and homophobic,no it can't be."

Wow Chad. You sound a lot like the bigots who say "Gay and promiscuous, no it can't be." and "Gay and HIV+, no it can't be."

Stereotyping other minorities does nothing to elevate your status.

Posted by: Jesse | Oct 8, 2009 1:19:21 PM

9. LOL Derrick. In my mind, I've always pictured the Good Lord as Ruby Dee.

Posted by: crispy | Oct 8, 2009 1:33:56 PM

10. I watched this......are all straights wankers ? I agree that straights seem to be incredibly scared to even be seen with a homo and as for being thought of as a homo,....it's the ultimate nightmare ......but, well, fuck um.
    (I was trying to think of the reasons why they are so scared but my brain doesn't give a shit about straights).

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Oct 8, 2009 1:36:51 PM

11. totes rules that he called lil' wayne out on kissing baby, could of also brought up their weird "father/son" relationship, they arent FYI, they just have a you know daddy and boi type relationship(no homo)

Posted by: pussyfoot | Oct 8, 2009 1:37:01 PM

12. How does this work in prison?

Posted by: anon | Oct 8, 2009 2:17:02 PM

13. Damn, CRISPY, you're right again. How misogynistic of me to think that God had to be a "he". Well, I was thinking more in terms of God's origins, you know. Everybody knows that God is from the Middle-East or Northeast Africa as my Afrocentric friends use to say.

Hey, I'd love to introduce CHAD to all those Afrocentric African Studies graduate students I knew back in the 90s. They'd get a kick out of him, and then they'd kick him. Not a kick in the ass, of course, 'cause it's strictly No Homo.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Oct 8, 2009 2:44:33 PM

14. Geez. "No homo" is one of the dumbest phrases I've ever heard.

Not to mention rude. I once told someone "Happy birthday" and his reply was, "Thanks. No homo."

Such a fucking stupid phrase.

Posted by: Yuki | Oct 8, 2009 2:45:56 PM

15. I hate "no homo"

Re: Lil Wayne and Babys' relationship. Lil Waynes father cut out when he was young. around the time Wayne started rapping(after his step father was killed), he met Baby and his brother Slim (they started Cash Money). Baby became a mentor to Wayne and let wayne tell it his father. In fact they don't give a damn about that photo (old ass news) and have stated that's what they do and if no one likes it then fuck 'em. Which I admire. If you grow up without a parent and someones comes along at fills that role, what is the problem with that? It's good to know that the woman i see as a second mother to me is some sort of "weird" relationship because she's not my biological mom. not everything is a perv man showin' a young twink the way. *eye roll*

Posted by: MissNee | Oct 8, 2009 2:49:46 PM

16. One question I do have is where are the same people equating black=homophobia when there are a million post about white christians/mormons bank rolling props, beating the shit out of gays, lesbians and TGs?....not one person says "white people and homophobia..what's new?"

Glad to know who the monolithic group is

Posted by: MissNee | Oct 8, 2009 2:52:36 PM

17. Ummm Derrick--

The use of "no homo" IS homophobic and indefensible.

You appear not to have noticed that, so I thought I'd point it out.

I agree that Chad'a a racist asshole, though.

Posted by: Landon Bryce | Oct 8, 2009 2:57:53 PM

18. I was once sitting with a group of friends playing dominos. One said "I'm behind you, no homo" to one of the other guys. I responded, "I'm behind you -- homo."

And suddenly, they understood.

Posted by: Cameron | Oct 8, 2009 3:34:30 PM

19. "The use of "no homo" IS homophobic and indefensible.

You appear not to have noticed that, so I thought I'd point it out."

No kiddin', homo.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Oct 8, 2009 3:44:57 PM

20. Who the hell cares? This Bryan guy is HOT. And we just got to seem him partially shirtless. HOLLAAAA

Posted by: Billy | Oct 8, 2009 4:10:50 PM

21. Uhmmm the term 'no homo' was used by the dumb ass shock jocks Opie and Anthony more than a decade ago. Not that I care who made such an idiotic term.

Posted by: Toto | Oct 8, 2009 4:14:23 PM

22. "Uhmmm the term 'no homo' was used by the dumb ass shock jocks Opie and Anthony more than a decade ago"

Toto, thank you...thank you, thank you, thank you.

As you said, it doesn't matter what hetero (or closet/dl) idiots made up the phrase, but you just proved that all homophobia and anti-gay slurs do not originate among black folks. You hear that, CHAD?

THANK YOU, TOTO, you just slew Alvira Gulch.

Landon,

All old queens are homophobic and indefensible. We got to be like that the old fashioned way: we eaaaaaaahhhrn it.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Oct 8, 2009 4:31:57 PM

23. The reason there's no outrage against "white homophobia" - even though Western Christianity has a long and grusome history of extremely violent homophobia -is because our society values white lives and experiences more than everyone else's put together. Of course, they won't say it quite like that. But the racist implications are quite clear.

Whites are unique and special individuals who must be judged on their own merits. Whereas Blacks, Latinos, Middle Easterners, and Asians are just ravenous "barbarian" hordes who all look, think, and behave alike.

The message?

White people are the only folks who have full access to their humanity.

Dark skinned people are sub-human insects.

Posted by: John | Oct 8, 2009 4:34:39 PM

24. "White people are the only folks who have full access to their their humanity."

Not if they are gay! There are millions of white gay humans in the world and we are not equal on any level to the heteros,even the black,latino,middle eastern and asian
    heteros. Reality check John.

Posted by: SFshawn | Oct 8, 2009 5:05:08 PM

25. JOHN,

I can't use intelligent arguments like you just did--anymore. I've given up. Now, I use whatever argument the bottle leads me to.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Oct 8, 2009 5:05:17 PM