Bryan Safi | Gay Slurs | Hip-Hop | News

BigGayDeal.com

Defusing Gay Situations with the Phrase 'No Homo'

Nohomo

Infomania's Bryan Safi takes a look at how str8 dudes online and rappers get out of gay situations with the phrase "no homo", AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. "There are millions of white gay humans in the world and we are not equal on any level to the heteros,even the black,latino,middle eastern and asian
    heteros. Reality check John."

See what I mean, JOHN? Unbelievable and unreal. We got the John Birch White Homosexual Society. Unbelievable

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Oct 8, 2009 5:19:37 PM

2. The reason black people are blamed disproportionately for homophobia is racism. The only reason there is any difference in how black people and white are viewed by gay people is racism: to the extent that there are any actual differences they are created by unequal access to the things that kill bigotry: money, safety, and and education. Because black people AND gay people appear so infrequently in the media, I think it is difficult for each group to get past the images that anger us.

Gay people and people of color have it made in comparison to the young, the poor, the disabled, and the transgendered. I think having any of those differences is largely mitigated if you are straight and white. I think it is easier to be gay and white than it is to be straight and Black.

When a disabled transgender Latina teenager is valued as much as a fifty-year-old Caucasian straight male athlete, we'll all be safe.

And excusing "no homo" furthers any reasonable goal--- how?

Posted by: Landon Bryce | Oct 8, 2009 6:18:55 PM

3. Chad, I'm not sure what world you live in or what your experiences have been regarding "The Blacks," I guess you're still blaming them because you can't get married, right? Everything you posted about "The Blacks," is associated with some negative connotation I've witnessed in the white community 10 fold, but I guess its different due to their "Whiteness." Please accept Derrick from Philly's suggestion and check out that water thing. Sounds like fun.

Posted by: xyz2 | Oct 8, 2009 8:33:18 PM

4. Cool idea. The next time I make out with a guy in public, I'm just going to shout "no homo" afterwards, and all will be forgiven. This is really stupid logic, just saying something isn't so doesn't make it true. There are plenty of straight acting closet cases that wish saying "no homo" warded off the specter of gayness though. Dream on.

Posted by: g_whiz | Oct 9, 2009 8:05:38 AM

5. this is news? there were amateur youtube videos making phun of "no homo" like, 2 years ago.

Posted by: St. Theresa of Avila | Oct 10, 2009 9:18:26 AM

6. In my entire life, Lil Wayne is the only human being that made me nautious just by the way he looks.

Not sure what it is specifically (it' everything!), but he just makes me want to throw up at the simple sight of him. That was before this 'no homo' shit.

Posted by: Drew | Oct 10, 2009 6:22:02 PM

7. I had no idea.
    I guess I don't pay attention to lyrics.
    This interests me a lot. I think I'll be listening out more for it, especially from my friends, coworkers, and random people on the street.

And that Brian is funny. No homo.

Posted by: Steven Vance | Oct 11, 2009 3:10:55 AM

8. I'm with Derrick from Philly: I love it when WASPy gays target (black) hip-hop artists. They remind me of wingnut republicans who shout veiled racist threats against Obama.

Does the phrase "double standard" mean anything to you, Bryan Safi? Gays should be the LAST minority targeting a minority.

Posted by: "Jedi" is the new "gay." | Oct 12, 2009 3:18:29 AM

9. " no homo" ? I mean how gay is that?

Posted by: Dillon | Aug 24, 2010 10:24:47 PM