James Franco Owns a Mask of His Prosthetic Penis

If you see a dickhead on the street this Halloween, chances are it could be James Franco.

Franco_milk Erin Overbey reports on Franco's New Yorker Festival appearance over the weekend:

"'What’s it like being a stoner icon?,' Lauren Collins asked James Franco, last night at the Cedar Lake Theatre. 'You know, people think I’m stoned anyway,' Franco replied. 'I don’t
mind. People think you’re a stoner, they think you’re a fun, nice guy.' The conversation moved to biopics. Franco has starred in several,
including 'James Dean' (a TV movie) and 'Milk,' and he will play the
poet Allen Ginsberg in the soon-to-be-released 'Howl.' After a clip
from 'Milk' was shown, Franco admitted that he still had the prosthetic
penis he wore in the film, and that he’d actually made a mask out of it
for another film."

And Franco's latest gay career move?

"Asked if there was someone else he was dying to play,
the actor mentioned that he had bought the rights to Hart Crane’s 'The
Broken Tower.'"

Crane was gay and committed suicide at sea in 1932. "The Broken Tower", one of his final poems, (and also the name of a biography of the poet by Paul Mariani), was written following a heterosexual affair, after which he continued sleeping with men.

Previously…
James Franco to Join Cast of General Hospital as 'Mystery Person' [tr]
James Franco Enrolled in Queer Cinema Class at NYU [tr]
James Franco Gets Lathered Up [tr]
First Frame: James Franco as Allen Ginsberg in Howl [tr]

Comments

1. Rehochipe says

I’ve seen “Milk” a couple times, but I don’t ever remember seeing the “prosthetic penis” in any of the shots including the one where he swam naked in the rich queen’s pool… Have I missed something?

2. SF_Scottie says

Did I miss something or (aside from the pool shot) was he naked in “Milk” or was it just so that he could appear endowed while wearing all those tight 70s jeans? Hmmmmm?

3. Drew says

Agree with the previous comments… I don’t recall seeing his “penis” in Milk…. prosthetic or otherwise. Very lame that he feels the need to wear one.

4. Steve says

I was at the New Yorker festival, and when he announced he’d bought the rights to that poem, I immediately wondered if the author was gay, given Franco’s unwavering interest in all things pink. Of course Hart Crane was gay! So strange that most people still believe Franco is straight, but whatever.

In Milk, Franco & Penn were given prosthetics to wear for any nude scenes that were filmed. It was to make them both “comfortable” on set, and it wasn’t Franco’s idea.

5. Jessej says

I don’t get the arguments that he’s secretly gay. Anyone I know how is secretly gay isn’t going to run after all of the gay parts in Hollywood or become the “he plays gay” posterboy. They’d avoid anything gay like the plague if they were in the closet. So if he is gay and isn’t hiding from it, why wouldn’t he just come out and say he was? I think he is straight and is either extremely gay friendly or he knows he’d have a good shot of winning an Oscar because playing a serious gay role is still something that apparently shows a straight actor’s range and dedication to the art I suppose.

That said, I would love to light up a bowl and lay around on his futon for a few hours.

6. BreckRoy says

Thought it was interesting during Seth Rogen’s PLAYBOY interview he was talking about making the PINEAPPLE EXPRESS and how much he and his co-stars/filmmaking team enjoy smoking out and then he noted that, ironically, James Franco is the only one who is a non-smoker and doesn’t actually smoke pot at all or care too much for being around it. Once again, it makes me love him as an actor a little bit more and just completely fall for what is apparently his 100% inate (non organically enhanced) spaziness :-) Adorable!

I’m also inclined to agree that Franco is more in the vein of a fuck you, I’ll go my own way artist (his choice of smaller riskier roles, deciding to suddenly go back to college, doing a few weeks on GENERAL HOSPITAL just to get a better sense of the craft, and yes, embracing all things gay as they have embraced him) than a closeted ‘mo. And that’s pretty awesome. Seems like a fun, if potentially artistically intense, person!

7. Dom says

Why does he WANT to be a gay icon, David?

BTW, I always thought Franco was BI and that was what I always heard to be true–at least coming from the industry minions out of L.A.

8. Steve says

I know I should take your word for it, Ehrenstein, given that you’ve provided a link to your website and have hung out with Franco, but I don’t believe that any straight guy could ever be as gay as Franco’s gotten. It’s without precedent and very unlikely that he isn’t at least bisexual. Maybe you just haven’t hung out with him enough?

9. JeffRob says

Why in the world is a completely straight actor wanting to be a gay icon so unlikely? It’s extremely likely in a young, intelligent, thoughtful individual. He knows gay people are loyal fans, spend a lot of money, and aren’t going anywhere. Most importantly, he respects us, as our allies now do, in a way we’ve never been respected before. We have to get used to it, but it’s no longer unlikely in the slightest.

10. Matty says

You don’t have to have sex with someone in the gay community or even be bi curious to be gay friendly, it just means the guy grew up without prejudice and doesn’t have the same hang ups and phobias as others.

We spend so much time seeking acceptance and wanting to be considered just average folks, but when we get that acceptance we turn around and question the people embracing us?

Not everything has to revolve around or involve sex. I have plenty of straight male friends who accept me for who I am but who have no desire to have sex with me or any other guy for that matter. Some of you need to get yourselves out of the dark ages and stop being such cliches.

11. Dom says

I completely acknowledge our straight allies without questioning them, but that still doesn’t explain David E’s statement, Matty.

Why does he want to be a gay icon?

I get that James supports gay marriage, and that’s cool, and even him wanting to be an icon–I just asked why?

12. says

The rumors have been out there for a long, long time, way before he was ever a ‘gay icon.’ I don’t even really think he is in the closet. Just because he hasn’t had a People Magazine cover doesn’t mean he isn’t ‘out.’ He may just not want to scream it from the rooftops, but be ‘out’ in a more subtle, helpful way, one that he doesn’t feel could damage his career. People are right, he really is a very bright guy.

13. Steve says

Thanks, Ryan, for offering the most sensible comment on this article. I agree completely.

Matty, it’s not about Franco being gay friendly or even being a gay icon. He seems genuinely, deeply fixated on gay subject matter, to a degree that no straight guy is unless he’s not really altogether straight. I know these are liberated times, but get a clue! You can be forgiven if you haven’t been following Franco’s every move.

14. bading says

I am sure James Franco has his legitimate reasons to be discrete, as it were. Be that as it may, it would be an absolute boost to our cause if he were to indeed scream it from the rooftops. We need all the heroes we can get.

15. sugarrhill says

All you gay conspiracy theorists need another hobby. For some reason it doesn’t even cross your mind that he’s attracted the material than the actual subject matter.

16. rhydderch says

Christ why is it that if any guy is hot gay rumors start to swirl? Bob Newhart? Straight. Tom Cruise? Gay. Chuck Norris? Straight. Will Smith? Queen. Ernest Borgnine? Straight. Vin Diesel? Power bottom. Seems to be a trend that the gays always want to claim that any hot + open minded man = gay. Why is that? Can there be any other reason that James Franco plays such varied rolls? Show his range maybe – noooo of course not, he’s a big ole closet case right boys?

17. Buster says

It’s funny how people will go to such lengths to deny the obvious. Obviously a lot of gay men want a lot of attractive straight men to be gay, but there’s more than enough here to take this “conspiracy theory” past the fantasy stage.

Rhydderch, what’s this variation thing you’re talking about? For the past year and a half, it’s been one gay thing after another for James. Sugarrhill, you don’t think it’s odd that the material he’s attracted to is almost exclusively homo? Have you met any straight guys, ever? They’re not into that stuff. I’m sorry, I know we’re living in enlightened times, but they’re just not.

Rock on, Franco.

18. Dom says

I’ve never heard anyone refer to Bob Newhart’s sexuality–so let’s not go there.

You don’t really believe Vin Diesel and Will Smith are straight do you? Because that’s strange. And the gays weren’t behind the Tom Cruise is he or isn’t he machine. That was the media. They probed and probed and Tom and that publicist bitch Pat Kinglsey got stranger and stranger. You do the math.

On the Franco front, Rumors about him have been around for quite some time, so this isn’t something that was pulled out of thin air and thought up by cock-hungry Queens at the Abbey.

19. Drew says

The whole reason Franco wanted to be an actor was because of the gay movie, My Own Private Idaho! He direced, co-wrote, exective produced and starred in “The Ape” which deals with being in the closet. Of course, Milk. Next, Howl. Now, this. Franco is obsessed with homosexuality but he does have a girlfiend. I think Franco is turning into a pioneer for gay films.

20. Rowan says

@ Drew

Girlfriend? Yeah. Girl-friend.

If my boyfriend was obsessed with wanting to play straight characters, buy rights for stories about straight romance and is doing a course about straight movies….!!??