New Orlean Saints Linebacker Scott Fujita Speaks Up for Gay Rights

Fujita2

New Orleans Saints linebacker Scott Fujita talks about why he is endorsing the National Equality March and why he supports gay rights in an interview with Dave Zirin in the Huffington Post:

Fujita "By and large in this country the issue of gay rights and equality should
be past the point of debate. Really, there should be no debate anymore.
For me, in my small platform as a professional football player, I
understand that my time in the spotlight is probably limited. The more
times you have to lend your name to a cause you believe in, you should
do that…A year ago or two years ago, I remember reading about an initiative
that was proposed in the state of Arkansas. It was some kind of measure
that was aimed at preventing adoptions by single parents. Now, the way
I read that and the way that I translated that language was that only
heterosexual, married couples could adopt children. As an adopted child
that really bothered me. I asked myself, what that is really saying is
that the concern with one's sexual orientation or one's sexual
preference outweighs what's really important, and that's finding safe
homes for children, for our children. It's also saying that we'd rather
have kids bounce around from foster home to foster home throughout the
course of their childhood, than end up in a permanent home, where the
parent, whether that person's single or not, gay or straight. Either
way, it doesn't matter. It's a home that's going to be provided for a
kid who desperately needs a home. As an adopted child, that measure
really bothered me. It just boggles my mind because good, loving homes
for any child are the most important thing."

Fujita, who is straight, married, and has kids, also discusses homophobia in the locker room and whether or not his views on gay rights make him a target for mockery among teammates.

Adds Fujita: "I have no concern about that whatsoever. I know who I am. My wife knows
who I am. I don't care one way or the other Dave. I imagine that when
some of this gets out guys in the locker room might give me a hard
time, and they always give me a hard time. They call me the Pinko
Communist Fag from Berkeley. I'm used to it. I can take it all."

Comments

1. Wayne says

If The National Equality March has inspired a heterosexual linebacker on an undefeated team to take the time to stand up and speak out for the equality of gay people, then you know that the march has already made a difference even before it’s begun. Some young football fan might just hear of Scott’s views and rethink some of thier own homophobia towards gay people. This is wonderful.

Thank you Scott Fujita!

2. kujhawker says

It is always nice to gain another ally. I know some gays that I wish were as articulate and sensitive as this straight man who really does get it.

3. David in Houston says

This is great to hear. Of course I wonder what his position would be if he hadn’t been adopted?

So his teammates are calling him “the Pinko Communist Fag from Berkeley”. The guy is clearly straight and this is what they’re saying to him because he supports gay rights. It really does show you the extreme level of homophobia in football.

4. sparks says

Hunky on the outside, gorgeous on the inside.

Obviously his adoptive parents did a STELLAR job imparting good sense and respect for fellow man. In turn, Scott’s own kids are incredibly lucky to have such a positive and strong influence in their lives.

And I absolutely love how he started with, “By and large in this country the issue of gay rights and equality should be past the point of debate.”

So true.

5. Darren says

I’m now a fan of his.

My only question is why does the NFL tolerate coworkers calling each other “Commy pinko fags.”? In any other workplace, the person doing the calling would be dragged into HR and given a stern talking to, warning, or a firing. That’s where the NFL loses in my book.

In the meantime Geaux Saints!

6. crispy says

I’m shocked no one has shown up yet to completely disregard his message and blast the guy for using “sexual preference.”

JohninManhattan must be out sick today.

7. Paul says

this really is remarkable…what an intelligent man. I think it is wonderful having someone like this in our camp.
    I also heard that Lady Gaga is going to March for Equality…not as big of stretch for her…but many people are taking this seriously. :)

8. CKNJ says

Wow… how refreshing to hear such an articulate and touching comment from a generally homophobic arena (Football)… Thank you, Mr. Fujita you’re a truly Stand Up guy. Awesome! Hopefully your stand will make others in your team and your sport take what you said to heart, possibly changing their attitudes on the gay cause…

Thank you so much again!!

9. Derrick from Philly says

Yes, I want to say “thank you” to Mr Fujita also. And I also, I want to say “thanks” to Mr Brandon Ayanbadejo (Baltimore Ravens)who is receiving some harsh criticism because of his support for Gay Americans’ struggle for civil rights. Some conservative writer actually took Ayanbadejo to task publically because of this issue (as reported on Rod McCullom’s blog).

Oh, and lets not forget to thank pro-athletes Will Demps and Charles Barkley for their support also. It aint easy for any straight guy to be called a “homo lover”.

10. STEVE RICHMOND says

SCOTT FUJITA is one intelligent and well spoken man. i hope his career morphs into something even bigger than it is now. he is one cool guy.

11. Dee Ireland Lewis says

It is wonderful to see someone of such stature and position stand up for what is right. I loved how he said in this day and age it should not even be an issue or debate let alone finding it’s way on ballots in the form of initiatives to take away rights from people because of their sexual orientation.