Crime | New York | News

NYC Hate Crime Victim Jack Price Speaks; Vigil Today at 2 pm

UPDATED

49-year-old NYC hate crime victim Jack Price talked about the attack with the New York Daily News:

Price "'I thought I died...I was bleeding all over the place.' With tubes running into his chest and nose, the resilient Price insisted he wouldn't want anyone else to face a similar fate. 'Better it was me,' Price said in a pained voice, the stitches along his broken jaw clearly visible. 'Someone else may not have survived it.'

"... The bruises on Price's face are healing, but his feelings toward Rodriguez and Aleman remain raw. 'I hope they rot in jail,' Price said. 'I don't understand how someone can do this to somebody. They almost killed another human being.' Price said he was on his way home when Rodriguez and Aleman, both of whom he recognized from the neighborhood, began taunting him. Speaking in Spanish, the pair of thugs called Price a 'stupid f-----' and 'dumb f-----,' he said. 'They didn't know I spoke Spanish,' Price said. He ducked into a bodega to grab cigarettes, but when he emerged, Rodriguez and Aleman confronted him again. 'I know where you live, f-----,' one of the men said, Price recalled.' You better run away before he kills you,' the other said. Moments later, the pair pounced. Price said he doesn't remember much from the attack, only that he was surprised when he realized he was still alive. 'I took it pretty well,' said Price, who's unsure when he'll be released from the hospital. 'I still got home.'"

A vigil will be held today at 2pm today for Price in College Point, Queens:

"March and Rally in College Point on Saturday, October 17th, step off at 2pm. We'll be marching down College Point Boulevard from 20th Avenue until 14th Avenue and will then hold a rally/speakout at nearby Popenhusen playground. Directions: Take the 7 train to Main Street and then the Q65 bus from Roosevelt and Main Street to 20th Ave. Please bring signs without wooden sticks, banners, friends, and your best self."

Facebook info.

Background...
Alleged NYC Gay Basher's Father Speaks Out: 'I Caused Him the Harm' [tr]
Anti-Gay NYC 'Beatdown' Wasn't a Hate Crime, Says Friend with Leviticus Tattoo [tr]
Daniel Rodriguez, Second Suspect in NYC Gay Bashing, Brought In [tr]
Watch: Brutal NYC Gay Bashing Captured on Video [tr]
NYC Gay Man in Coma After Savage Beating; 1 Suspect at Large [tr]

Comments

1. Not that it matters - a hate crime is a hate crime - but for some reason, people keep posting this photo on their blogs. Mr. Price is, for lack of a better term, a white gay man.

Posted by: Nelson G. | Oct 17, 2009 10:59:36 AM

2. That's a photo of Price. What's your point?

Posted by: dan | Oct 17, 2009 11:05:53 AM

3. New York queers....GO to this rally. You're loosing your city. There's been an alarming increase of gay bashings all over New York. I myself experienced far more tolerance in the years I lived in the South than I did on two trips out to New York with all the anti gay slurs. I believe with activism, showing our presence, and showing our support for one another we can change that and change minds- but we need to commit and be passionate and put a cause above our own comforts. I just hope more people dont go bar hopping than attending this rally. Stand as one, New York gays. You deserve your city back.

Posted by: Bayley | Oct 17, 2009 11:50:25 AM

4. It's always a pair or more that single out a single guy. They're not able to hurt a single guy on their own they have to have multiple people. Sounds fair to me.

Posted by: Joseph Singer | Oct 17, 2009 12:48:16 PM

5. If you're being apoplectic for the sake theirof, Dan, save it for the opposition and for those who can't even mention the incident on their own websites,blogs, and cable tv shows.

That it is, according to you, just makes the whole incident all the more surreal.

Posted by: Nelson G. | Oct 17, 2009 1:23:40 PM

6. Nelson, I don't get your point either. What's wrong with the picture? Why is it important that he's a white, gay man?

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Oct 17, 2009 1:29:11 PM

7. I took from Nelson's comment that he doesn't think the pic is of Price? The "normal" pix of Price circulating are old, and the injured pic is new, so he looks different. Perhaps the bruising is making Nelson think this pic isn't showing a white guy? I didn't take it as Nelson making a race point so much as a wrong-photo point, but I think that's incorrect). Can you explain?

Posted by: Matthew Rettenmund | Oct 17, 2009 1:45:04 PM

8. nelson's arguments are about as well organized as his blog.

Posted by: alguien | Oct 17, 2009 2:36:13 PM

9. It is inappropriate to be discussing the victim's skin color. This about about how hateful homophobia is, and as a black gay man, I am infuriated with HETEROSEXUAL people over this.

Believe me, the heterosexual people are the problem, and as gay folks, we have to support each other.

Posted by: Mel Smith | Oct 17, 2009 6:20:05 PM

10. The LGBT protesters were met with neighborhood folks who say that the perps (and their friends) are neighborhood thugs who've really brought the place down...and they were the ones who were doing the vulgar graffiti all over the place. There were also a small group of counter protesters and with them was 'Leviticus Tattoo Guy'.

via J.M.G.

Posted by: Wheezy | Oct 17, 2009 8:48:01 PM

11. So it looks like this incident is part of a bigger story...of a group of criminal hoodlums causing trouble overall in a decent blue-collar neighborhood. If the criminals hadn't queer-bashed somebody, snooty gay activists from Manhattan (and Vermont) would be screaming that the blue-collar locals are just anti-Hispanic racists.

Posted by: JT | Oct 17, 2009 11:18:49 PM

12. Again, we must understand that the heterosexual people are responsible for this hate crime.

And heterosexual people are responsible for most of the problems that occur in this world.

We are always peaceful with these people, and they treat us like sh!t.

They think we are a bunch of cowards.

Human beings only understand violence.

I think most heterosexual people have prejudices against us. That is why I don't trust any of them.

I almost hate straight people.

Posted by: Mel Smith | Oct 18, 2009 12:09:08 AM

13. That's the dumbest thing I've ever read, Mel Smith.

Posted by: JT | Oct 18, 2009 12:16:33 AM

14. @ JT

How is it dumb when its almost true? Maybe not so much with heterosexual women (Unless they are christian or some other kind of religious cunt) but most str8 men religious or not (MOST) have prejudices toward gay men,yet at the same time they are ready to wax their carrot when they see 2 women getting it on.And heterosexual males are a big problem.So how is it dumb?

You really want believe that ALL str8 people will be on our side,huh?

Wake up and get rid of that naivety of yours.

Posted by: Rocky | Oct 18, 2009 12:55:28 AM

15. @ JT

actually what YOU said above Mel Smith's comment was pretty dumb.

Posted by: Rocky | Oct 18, 2009 12:57:04 AM

16. Rocky : No, what I said up above is 100 percent accurate. But what Mel Smith said is just ridiculous. It's not ALL straight people who hate homosexuals. And even the ones who dislike homosexuality generally just couldn't be bothered to persecute or bash, because they have their own lives. But I apologize for sounding like I'm calling Mel Smith himself "dumb", because I know he's probably just very angry.

Posted by: JT | Oct 18, 2009 1:11:56 AM

17. JT, look at the picture of Mr. Price.

Have you been paying attention to how heterosexuals have been attacking us all over the world?

Look at how we are oppressed in Iraq, Jamaica, Russia, and on the continent of Africa.

Again, why don't you look at the picture of Mr. Price.

These people oppress us in the name of God, and you are attacking my opinion???

Look at how they oppress us worldwide, and you think my opinion is dumb?

Posted by: Mel Smith | Oct 18, 2009 1:25:23 AM

18. But, Mel Smith, I've seen morgue photos of the straight victims of gay serial killers too. And tons of photos of people killed in all types of crimes. I think you're generalizing too much. It will be heterosexuals convicting these two attackers and sending them off to prison. But look, we'll just have to disagree on this one. I don't want to be your adversary, bud.

Posted by: JT | Oct 18, 2009 1:36:34 AM

19. JT, apology accepted, but I am very angry at the oppression that we face by these ignorant lying breeding pigs.

Why are YOU being an apologist for them??? Are you going to keep kissing their as$, or are you going to realize that most of them are some terrible hypocritical people?

Why is it any of their business who we are? If they are heterosexual, why the hell do they have to comment on us? Why the hell are you excusing them?

Posted by: Mel Smith | Oct 18, 2009 1:39:23 AM

20. Mel : I would never excuse anybody who would bash or oppress. I'm just saying I, personally, know too many straight people who would never behave in that way. To me it would be like saying "I hate men" or "I hate women" or "I hate Asians", which seems farfetched to me because each of those groups encompasses too many different kinds of people. I do understand your anger though.

Posted by: JT | Oct 18, 2009 2:19:12 AM

21. Is that a picture of him ???
    In the New York papers, it shows a totally different picture ? It shows him as a white guy or is this all the swelling ?

Posted by: Kyle | Oct 18, 2009 4:40:53 AM

22. It seems you have never seen someone bruised and beaten. It completely changes a persons color.

Posted by: hank | Oct 18, 2009 4:54:33 AM

23. JT, we are the only group of people that are oppressed worldwide.

Again, we are the only group of people that are oppressed worldwide.

We are not even protected in the United States.

You trust those 'good' heterosexual people you know???

If these breeding pigs are not physically oppressing us, they are mentally hurting us by spreading religious lies about us.

Therefore, I don't give a damn about any of them.

Excuse me, I am deeply upset by what happended to Mr. Price.

Posted by: Mel Smith | Oct 18, 2009 9:31:50 AM

24. Okay, why the fuck does it matter if he's a white guy or a black guy? He's a brother queer who nearly got beat to death by some nasty, worthless thugs. That's the only thing we, The United Nation of Queeristan, need to know to be pissed off.

Posted by: Wheezy | Oct 18, 2009 8:07:59 PM

25. http://www.edgeunitedstates.com/index.php?ch=columnists&sc=david_toussaint&sc2=news&sc3=&id=97851#

hope you enjoy.