Andre Agassi | News | Sports | Tennis

BigGayDeal.com

Tennis Organizations React to Andre Agassi's Meth Use Confessions

You may have heard by now of the shocking revelations that tennis pro Andre Agassi used crystal meth in the late 90's.

Agassi From the Times of London, which is excerpting the book:

In his book, Agassi recounts sitting at home with his assistant, referred to only as Slim, and being introduced to the drug. “Slim is stressed too ... He says, You want to get high with me? On what? Gack. What the hell’s gack? Crystal meth. Why do they call it gack? Because that’s the sound you make when you’re high ... Make you feel like Superman, dude.

“As if they’re coming out of someone else’s mouth, I hear these words: You know what? F*** it. Yeah. Let’s get high.

“Slim dumps a small pile of powder on the coffee table. He cuts it, snorts it. He cuts it again. I snort some. I ease back on the couch and consider the Rubicon I’ve just crossed.

“There is a moment of regret, followed by vast sadness. Then comes a tidal wave of euphoria that sweeps away every negative thought in my head. I’ve never felt so alive, so hopeful — and I’ve never felt such energy.

Agassi later tested positive for the drug:

“My name, my career, everything is now on the line. Whatever I’ve achieved, whatever I’ve worked for, might soon mean nothing. Days later I sit in a hard-backed chair, a legal pad in my lap, and write a letter to the ATP. It’s filled with lies interwoven with bits of truth.

“I say Slim, whom I’ve since fired, is a known drug user, and that he often spikes his sodas with meth — which is true. Then I come to the central lie of the letter. I say that recently I drank accidentally from one of Slim’s spiked sodas, unwittingly ingesting his drugs. I ask for understanding and leniency and hastily sign it: Sincerely.

“I feel ashamed, of course. I promise myself that this lie is the end of it.” The ATP reviewed the case — and threw it out.

Sporting organizations are now looking into it: "Last night John Fahey, president of the World Anti-Doping Agency, urged the ATP to 'shed light on the allegations'...The International Tennis Federation said it was 'surprised and disappointed' by the eight-time Grand Slam winner's remarks. ITF president Francesco Ricci Bitti said tennis authorities were determined to keep the sport free from drugs. 'This should not be overshadowed by an incident that took place over 12 years ago. 'The statements by Mr Agassi do, however, provide confirmation that a tough anti-doping programme is needed,' he added. Former Wimbledon champion Michael Stich suggested Agassi evaded suspension 'because he was so important to the game'. 'The fact that he was using it, escaped drug tests and said he used it accidentally raises a lot of questions towards the ATP,' the German told BBC Radio 5 Live. 'Why was Andre Agassi not suspended if he tested positive and why was it never brought to the attention of the media and the players? Nobody ever heard about it.'"

Comments

1. I think he was married to Brook Shields at the time and having trouble on the courts --- Meth is an evil drug.

He is a lucky man it did not ruin his life.

Posted by: RJP3 | Oct 29, 2009 9:11:07 AM

2. If he was an African American or a Hispanic....the ATP would have never thrown out his case. He was the Golden Boy in tennis and he's white. That's why he didn't get in trouble!

Posted by: Eric | Oct 29, 2009 9:23:17 AM

3. Someone in the late 90s used crystal meth? Not shocking. At all.

Andre Agassi using the word Rubicon? Now that's shocking.

Posted by: crispy | Oct 29, 2009 9:25:10 AM

4. I've never liked Agassi, and I liked him even less after he said he was as “happy as a faggot in a submarine” after winning a French Open match.

Posted by: Mike | Oct 29, 2009 9:59:01 AM

5. Don't worry, Crispy. That's what ghost writers are for. I find it more shocking that he was "seized by a desperate desire to clean." Sure, meth users love to clean, but I didn't know that happened to rich meth users too.

Posted by: Paul R | Oct 29, 2009 11:08:18 AM

6. Eric, you took the damn words right out of my mouth!

Posted by: soulbrotha | Oct 29, 2009 11:45:15 AM

7. “I’m seized by a desperate desire to clean. I go tearing around my house, cleaning it from top to bottom. I dust the furniture. I scour the tub. I make the beds.” Poor Andre! Sounds so, um, GAY!

Andre, honey, I'm ALWAYS seized by a desperate desire to clean. The problem is that it is an unrequited desire because I HATE to clean. I just say f*ck it and hire someone. It's a lot safer and a lot easier on the body.

Posted by: mike | Oct 29, 2009 1:52:42 PM

8. Leave it to the Afroracists on here to see a racial angle. An Iranian as Golden White Boy? I think not. My first reaction was, like Mike's (are both Mike commenters the same person?), "Gay!" That sure would explain Agassi's weird submarine remark.

Posted by: Greg | Oct 29, 2009 3:12:15 PM

9. Agassi used to yell "Faggot" at line judges when he didn't like their calls. He was a terrible, terrible sport when he was losing. He used meth and then lied about it. He was and will always be an a**hole.

Posted by: Jeffrey | Oct 29, 2009 5:08:25 PM

10. Don't really care whether he used meth or not, but I'm bothered to distraction by his annoying use of the present tense while writing about something in the past. Makes the book sound like a cheap novella.

Posted by: Jim | Oct 29, 2009 8:10:13 PM

11. Iranians are the original ARYANS and racially classified as white.

'Happy as a fag(got) in a submarine'

LOL.....that's pretty funny actually. Seriously, if he really said that, to a reporter no less, dude has issues.

His dad is old school Iranian, product of a very anti-gay, machismo culture. It rubbed off on his son.

Posted by: John in Boston | Oct 29, 2009 9:57:22 PM

12. 'Y'all got cocaine eyes. Yeah, you got speed freak jive.'

Posted by: John in Boston | Oct 29, 2009 11:23:37 PM

13. IDK, you gotta love a man who cleans. But I think as far as white supremacists go, I son't think they'd classify Aggasi as white.

Posted by: KJ | Oct 30, 2009 4:56:09 AM

14. I remember back in the '90s when Elton John presented the then-cute Pete Sampras with a bouquet of flowers after Sampras won one of the Grand Slam tournaments (Wimbledon, I believe). At the time, it was reported in the media that Agassi told Sampras "You can't accept flowers from a guy like that."...the clear implication being that if Sampras accepted flowers from a homo, he might be thought of as gay as well. I should note that a quick google search of ("pete sampras" "elton john" agassi) reveals that elton john considers andree agassi a friend, traveling with him to andy roddick's wedding. Then again, Elton did invite Eminem to sing with him after Eminem had made several high profile homophobic remarks.

Posted by: peterparker | Oct 30, 2009 7:48:46 AM

15. Her father paid for the man to stab Monica and ruin her career, they are both bi, he needed her so people didn’t know he was f@@king Gil Reyes his “fitness coach/boyfriend”.
    Now they are the perfect Nazi lfamily, except he is Arab?
    go figure
    They only care about $$$$, more endorsements,
    also people said her father f@@ked her, that is why the mother left, pathetic, typical Nazi’s
    The father went to prison, not for the stabbing of Seles, but tax fraud,
    karma will get all of them,, including Andre, the tennis insiders know his story.
    Note: neither of the fathers came to the fake wedding, al least they had some honor.

Read more: http://justjared.buzznet.com/2007/02/22/andre-agassi-steffi-graf/comment-page-2/#comments#ixzz0VZTZmj9q

Posted by: erica | Oct 31, 2009 10:39:50 PM

16. Cases like this with Andre Agassi and especially pro baseball players prove that it's silly to get on Michael Phelps' case about smoking weed one time

Posted by: Greg Delaney | Nov 1, 2009 6:31:48 PM

17. Dear Mr. Agasei
    We are so pleased to appy to your organization in our peace project that we are going to held in Sakhnin - Israel for participants from Jordan, Palestine and Israe(Arabs and Jewish) in July 2010 for 14 days (2 weeks), 8 participants from each group .
    This project is the first project that are going to run since the war in Lebanon and Gaza, so we are seeking your donation in order to run this project .
    We will be so pleased if you give the chance for this participants in order to give them the chance and the smile for the new generation that we are looking to give them the chance to be the leaders of tomorrow.
    for more detailes and information , we will be so please to answer you , and we will be so please to give more detailes.
    We will be so pleased to run this project under your organization name.

Many regards