Adam Lambert | Magazines | News

Adam Lambert Responds to OUT Magazine Via Twitter

Screen shot 2009-11-17 at 6.33.17 PM

Adam Lambert responded to OUT magazine editor Aaron Hicklin, who suggested in his editor's letter for the 'OUT 100' issue that Lambert and his handlers, 19 Entertainment, were wary of having Lambert appear on the cover and asked the magazine not to ask certain questions for fear the singer would appear "too gay", a notion that Lambert's interviewer backed up.

Responded Lambert via Twitter: "Dear Aaron, it's def not that deep. Chill! Guess ya gotta get attention for the magazine. U too are at the mercy of the marketing machine. Until we have a meaningful conversation, perhaps you should refrain from projecting your publications' agenda onto my career."

Comments

1. "Or craft a positive response, reaffirming your support for the gay community."

So is living an openly gay life and introducing one hell of a lot o kids who would have not encountered 'gay' until they had learned it was 'wrong' and 'different' not doing enough!?!

Seriously, what his publicists did was a shitty thing but at this stage in his career, if Adam wants any chance of being a musician and not simply a figurehead for a movement (which is something he's stated repeatedly) he is in no position to do what Out wanted him to do...to go against his publicists, his manager and to be overtly political from the get go.

He has never once hidden that he was gay. No, on Idol doesn't count because if you didn't know he was gay....well...there's no fricking hope. And he has nothing to apologise for if it was his publicists and not him. Seriously, people I know say some shit I disagree with but I'm not going to take the blame for it.

Read the interview with him and tell me that he avoided any issues!

He talked about life and love as a gay man, something that is going to make gay all the more friendly and palatable to the masses than politicking ever will.

Posted by: FudgeRiver | Nov 17, 2009 7:55:48 PM

2. Yet another irrelevant fame whore. Once the novelty wears off he'll be joining the other Idol has-beens in the 99 cent bin at Walmart. Spare us this crap, where's the real news?

Posted by: Matty | Nov 17, 2009 7:56:26 PM

3. Gonna go with Adam on this one. Just because you're gay doesn't mean you have to swim in a sea of gayness 24/7. If someone's sexuality isn't supposed to matter, why force it one way or another? He's gay. He came out to the public. He did us a favor by not hiding like every other celeb does. He doesn't owe the gay community a full-on career sacrifice by being pigeon-holed. Give him a break.

Posted by: Dusty | Nov 17, 2009 8:01:13 PM

4. This definitely sours me on Lambert, sorry to say. So long Adam.

Posted by: john | Nov 17, 2009 8:08:48 PM

5. This whole situation has made a Lambert fan out of me and it's not because of his music. Arron's letter was juvenile and smells of a publicity stunt. Which if it is... then bravo! OUT magazine is relevant for the next day or so.

Adam's response is right on... he has every right to protect his career. He doesn't owes OUT magazine anything.

Furthermore, since when is helping the gay community limited to doing a dog and pony show for OUT magazine?

Posted by: Marquise | Nov 17, 2009 8:17:22 PM

6. This is why Twitter sucks. How the hell am I supposed to decide who wins a diva-off when they can only type 140 characters?

Posted by: crispy | Nov 17, 2009 8:34:22 PM

7. adam's great. the majority of commenters here, not so much.

Posted by: David T | Nov 17, 2009 8:48:03 PM

8. Aaron Hicklin is a diva bitch.

Posted by: JeffNYC | Nov 17, 2009 8:49:01 PM

9. I smell a DOUCHENOZZLE.

Posted by: Tex | Nov 17, 2009 8:55:25 PM

10. Some of the most derisive and divisive comments I see come from the so called "gay community." Yet there are those of us, Adam himself I'm sure, who would rather be seen as "also gay" than be segregated based on sexual orientation. Adam does not owe me anything because I have the same sexual orientation, nor should I have to support him for the same reason. Many proponents of equality recognize the importance of focusing on qualities that all human beings share, rather than the differences (gender, sexual orientation, culture). I'm sure Adam wants people to see all of who he is, and not focus on just one aspect.

Posted by: Brody | Nov 17, 2009 9:21:01 PM

11. Holy crap the boy has an opinion and people are pissed. Boo hoo. Wah.

The "community" eats itself if someone weighs an ounce too much. Please. God forbid he's out on his terms and not yours.

Do your thing Adam. Do whatever you like with your sexuality. If they don't like it hit Rolling Stone again. Or anywhere else you like. Because you have it like that.

Haters to the left.

Posted by: lili | Nov 17, 2009 10:06:58 PM

12. He will appear to "gay" on the cover of Out? AAAAHHHH....has anyone looked at him?????? It doesn't get much gayer....I mean really! Nothing against "that" look, but at least own it!

Posted by: roc | Nov 17, 2009 10:23:13 PM

13. And all you bitter fags expect the bigoted heterosexuals to take your trifling asses seriously?

The level of hatred Ive seen chucked at Adam Lambert does not come from heterosexuals because he's gay.It comes from bitter homosexuals because "hes not gay enough" or is a "self-loathing douche-nozzle" "hes ugly" or "Kris Allen is better looking than Adam",Ive heard and read all the negative shit thrown at him.Frankly,I wouldnt blame Lambert if he wanted nothing to do with gay people (specifically gay men) because alot of gay men are nothing but tired trifling 2-faced shit-stain bitter fags,who spend more time hating on other gay people than they spend time bettering themselves as individuals and working together and unifying as an actual "community".The bitter fuckers who use the term "self-loathing" dont use it in its proper context.Because if you want to call someone "self-loathing",try looking in the mirror when you get up in the morning and call yourself that.I noticed more heterosexuals,specifically young women and teen girls,give Adam more support than Ive seen any homo ever give him,since hes been out there.Its as if the so called "gay community" is some sort of gang in which you have to have some kind of physical asset or something or other to join.Unless gay men quit acting like a bunch of pussy ass Madonna-wannabes there will never be full equality available to gays.All of you bitter fuckers are nothing more than an embarrassment to the so called "gay community".Apparently coming out on your own terms is against the gay laws.Such a trifling bunch of pussies.Get over yourselves.

Posted by: Rocky | Nov 17, 2009 11:09:11 PM

14. This is why we need to demand more of our gay activists and ourselves. Gay activists for the most part do not push equality hard so many gay people look to any famous person to do the work. Adam should not be leading the civil rights movement, that is ridiculous. Gay activists work for gay people. I am tired of them saying and doing what heterosexuals want. We need equality NOW! You and I need to contact our Senators to encourage them to vote for ENDA. We need to contact state Senators of New York and New Jersey to get them to vote yes for marriage of same-sex couples.

Why can't Out magazine along with all the other supposed gay magazines put gay people on the covers regularly? They rather put heterosexuals on the covers and us, gay people, in the back of the magazine. They need to reform themselves.

Posted by: Bill | Nov 17, 2009 11:22:40 PM

15. Well, when your music isn't what it's hyped up to be, I guess you gotta create buzz some other way, by being mysterious -- sort of like a reverse Ted Haggard -- "gay with issues".

Until I saw these tweets, I thought Adam was simply being mismanaged, and would emerge a star once he freed himself of people who only cared about money in their pockets, but (if the tweets are his) the mis-manager is himself.

My dollars go to out gay artists who confidently sing same-sex lyrics and make videos to match. They don't get much play even on Towleroad, which is a shame when so many bytes are wasted on "mysterious" folks like Adam.

Posted by: Randy | Nov 17, 2009 11:41:46 PM

16. Ok this is ridiculous. I have no problem believing that Adam's handlers told the interviewer to stay away from politics concerning the gay community because heaven forbid Fox News has to cover political statements from a pop star. As for the not seeming too gay issue; I doubt many straight non gay friendly people would know OUT was a gay entertainment magazine let alone rush out to buy it. The not making him seem so gay comment would be a better argument if we were talking about an Entertainment Weekly article.

Posted by: Lane | Nov 18, 2009 12:48:07 AM

17. Whatever. It's gossip. None of us knows any context or what is true. I personally find it hard to believe that Lambert would be downplaying his gayness with a cover like that. Just enjoy his music... or not.

Posted by: Mike | Nov 18, 2009 1:19:12 AM

18. @Randy Well if you support gay artists who keep same sex lyrics get ready to support Lambert. Fever, his Gaga track keeps the gay intact. "There HE goes my baby walks so slow..."

Enjoy his album. I know I'm going to. Give the guy a freaking break.

Posted by: Carson | Nov 18, 2009 1:52:32 AM

19. I'm going to make a sex tape with Adam and sell the still shots to OUT.

Posted by: Dhani Darko | Nov 18, 2009 3:45:39 AM

20. It ain't that deep...he says.

Hmm. No wonder I keep thinking he's fake and/or shallow.

Posted by: Glenn | Nov 18, 2009 4:21:03 AM

21. Maybe Adam should spend some time with the real hero behind him in the photo who was fired from the military for being Gay.

Adam, you have lost my support of your career, you little pussy. I have lost ALL respect for you, and now wish I had voted for the cute kid from Conway Arkansas versus you.

Posted by: Christian | Nov 18, 2009 5:34:30 AM

22. Solve the ANNUITY LEAD Problem FOREVER. I will show you PRECISELY How to Get More Annuity Leads Than You can Possibly Handle!

Posted by: arfanbashir | Nov 18, 2009 6:23:59 AM

23. Aaron Hicklin would have done the community a better service by framing is editorial on the behinds the scenes people (e.g., publicists, agents) in the entertainment industry who don't know how to deal with gay talent. Don't ask Lambert "gay" questions. Gay agents and managers that deter gay actors from taking gay roles, etc. etc.

Posted by: Qjersey | Nov 18, 2009 7:51:54 AM

24. As usual, both parties have a good point.
    Since when does Out magazine, speak for the gay community and all the different people within it? But Hicklin has a point, Lambert's team worrying about public perception of being on Out's cover typifies many of the problems in the community at large...you can be gay, as long as you are not too gay, case/point you are equal and loved, but you can't get married.

Posted by: narishkeit | Nov 18, 2009 7:57:56 AM

25. So, Adam is gay and has been skyrocketed to almost unreal levels of stardom extremely early in his career. ...And all of a sudden he's expected to be the flag bearer for all things gay?

Hicklin, nor any of us for that matter, have the right to expect or - worse yet - TELL someone what they should or shouldn't be. I think Adam's reply as far as the "meaningful conversation" bit was important. There is perhaps a discussion that can take place there. There's certainly a possibility that Adam doesn't "get it" when it comes to all these expectations. Though from everything I've heard, I don't believe that to be an issue.

You want an activist? Look at a David Mixner. Look at a Harvey Milk. Heck, even look at a Lady Gaga. These are people who have CHOSEN that road, through their work and/or through their art. Adam has not yet chosen that road. Who are we to force that upon him? He is what he claims to be - an entertainer. Until he chooses differently, it's not our place - our being the gay community - to judge him as anything else.

Posted by: Scott | Nov 18, 2009 8:10:45 AM