Bishop Harry Jackson: ‘Some of the Smartest People I Knew in College Were Gay’

D.C.'s anti-gay marriage crusader Bishop Harry Jackson is profiled in the Washington Post on the heels of the recent decision by the D.C. Board of Elections and Ethics not to allow a ballot initative that would put the District's proposed marriage equality law before voters.

Says Jackson: Harryjackson "Some of the smartest people I knew in college were gay. Some
black students I knew who were gay were off-the-charts smart…I don't know of anybody black who says, 'I hate gay people.' We're more
accepting generally. But you overlap that — homosexuality and gay
marriage — with broken families, and we don't know how to put it back
together….I believe that the Bible teaches that same-sex marriage is an
oxymoron. If you redefine marriage, you have to redefine
family. You'd have to redefine parenting. I'm looking at the extinction
of marriage. And black culture is in a free fall."

Comments

1. Larry says

Bishop Jackson, homosexuality and gay marriage are not to blame for black culture being in a free fall. Hundreds of thousands of black children are born to unwed parents, and quite often, these children know very little of their fathers. And this isn’t exclusive to the black community either. But don’t go blaming gay marriage for that, you small-minded homophobe.

2. MT says

“If you redefine marriage, you have to redefine family.”

Maybe after 2,000 years it’s time we redefined the family then. It’s not like we have to have children to tend the herds anymore.

Step into the modern age you ignorant ass.

3. JauntyJohn says

Dear Bishop Jackson,
    I would suggest you bring your deeply flawed logic to those off-the-charts-smart black gay people you knew in college (and kudos, sir, for at least stopping short of saying “some of my best friends in college were…” the irony of that would be too distracting to the point at large). Perhaps those folks can help you see that the very thing you believe threatens you may actually help you.
    And if they don’t help you see that, they are also perhaps best suited to tell you to stop being such a damn fool.

4. Rocky says

BULLSHIT you are still a fucking anti-gay bigot first off.

Secondly to set your homophobic shit-stain ass “straight” (no pun intended) black people are no more accepting of gays “generally” (as you put it) than white,hispanic,and asian people.Homophobia has no color.The overall general population of heterosexuals are anti-gay to some degree.So dont pull that “black people are generally more accepting of gays” BULLSHIT on me MOTHER FUCKER

If that were the case,then there would be no gay black men,living that goddamn DL lifestyle which is more harmful to the black community than your sorry ass wants to realize.DL happens in all races/ethnicities but heterosexual blacks seem to have a major issue with gay people (specifically gay men),just as many other heterosexuals,however blacks tend to express their homophobia in a slightly more extreme fashion (I said SLIGHTLY BITCH) from other heterosexuals.Its shit-stains like you who cause gay black men to live a life of shame and fear and you are also partially to blame for the high HIV rates in black women and the MAJOR cause of the overall gay/lesbian teen suicide rate,you and other neanderthals of your ilk.You are a sell-out and an embarrassment to self respecting people of color like myself.Any other lies your bigot ass wants to spew?

Oh and knowing gay people who were “off the charts smart” in college is completely irrelevant to how you treat us.You fucking piece of swine garbage

5. says

“…I don’t know of anybody black who says, ‘I hate gay people.’ We’re more accepting generally.”

This guy is flat out a fucking liar. PERIOD!!!

“I hate Gay People” is EXACTLY the phrase Tim Hardaway used to express his tolerance and acceptance of gay people.

“Former Miami Heat guard Tim Hardaway said on a radio show Wednesday afternoon that he would not want a gay player on his team.

“You know, I hate gay people, so I let it be known,” Hardaway said. “I don’t like gay people and I don’t like to be around gay people. I am homophobic. I don’t like it. It shouldn’t be in the world or in the United States.””

6. says

He doesn’t hate gay people, he just finds elaborate phony sociological/religious reasons for continuing bigotry and discrimination against gay people.

Just like President Obama, as it happens.

7. says

These bigot preachers need to realize that the bible doesn’t say one single word regarding gay marriage. Maybe it says something about gay sex but that has nothing to do with the debate at hand.

Fact: Gay sex is legal.

8. says

the sky is green. up is down. i’m as pretty as i was 20 years ago. the african american community is down with gay people. down low that is. the gay agenda is ruining black family life.

next bigot, please.

9. Mark says

Many misguided christianist bigots, like Jackon, also believed the Bible taught inter-racial marriage was wrong. That it would “redefine marriage”, “redefine family” and “redefine parenting”.

10. Chitown Kev says

What is the correlation between gay marriage and broken families in the black community, Miss Bishop Jackson. I can’t think of one.

Hell, in DC, gay as that city is, marriage equality might actually stabilize families in the black community.

11. Disgusted American says

This man speaks like you can tell he just likes hearing himself talk. Makes up stupid shit, that has nothing to do with the other…he has some serious issues a therapist could help him with.

12. John Normile says

Are you Serious…. I Remember when a quote like “Some of my best friends are Black” was highly offensive to people who weren’t ignorant….Isn’t this type of talk the same thing?

13. Bill in SoCal says

Another religious believer cherry-picking the Bible to suite his own cultural likes and dislikes. The Bible also approves of slavery, but I’m sure Jackson does not support bringing THAT back.

14. John in Boston says

And what did a few ‘Ex’ Nazis say? Some of my best friends were Jews?

Obnoxious fucking comment. Not to mention some of the stupidest people I’ve known have been gay.

15. NanMan says

This ignorant approach is so familiar: GOP says US health care is broken so let’s fix it by raising insurance premiums and giving rich people a tax cut! This one: “Black families are falling apart so let’s ban same sex marriage.” He should have looked up non sequitur when the word of the day was oxymoron.

16. Randy says

Since when is knowing someone an exemption on being called on your bigotry?

And if he doesn’t know any black people who say they hate gays, maybe he hasn’t actually watched anything on YouTube. (It’s not just black people of course).

This man’s collar is so wide it goes all the way around, and yet he doesn’t even know what his own holy book says about marriage. Take your pick. It says a lot the wonders of polygamy, concubines, marrying your sister-in-law, and raping dear old dad while he’s asleep. But it doesn’t say anything about same-sex marriage or same-sex parents.

As for black culture, except for two guys in Chris Rock’s hair documentary, it seems to be run almost exclusively by straight people, so don’t be blaming gay people for bringing it down. Bishop needs a mirror.

17. casey says

speaking of non sequiters, closing out his show, Ed Shultz just quoted Sarah Palin as saying “Glenn Beck would make a great running mate in 2012.” CAN YOU FUCKING IMAGINE?

18. Mister Young says

I’m not necessarily going here. But this is what ignites me when comments need to arise about ONE black homophobe such as this asshole Jackson.

Larry says:
    Bishop Jackson, homosexuality and gay marriage are not to blame for black culture being in a free fall. Hundreds of thousands of black children are born to unwed parents,and quite often, these children know very little of their fathers. And this isn’t exclusive to the black community either.

Then if it isn’t then why the hell mention it????
    He doesn’t represent all Black families.
    But you just had to say that didn’t cha?

Hundreds of thousands of children?????
    HMMMMMMM Stay on topic to attack the homophobe please not the African American community.

Then you said but don’t go blaming gay marriage for that, you small-minded homophobe. On this I agree wih you.

19. James A says

(I see somebody beat me to this point, but I’ll write it anyway:)

I take it he’s not familiar with Tim Hardaway, who said, in a radio interview, exactly, “I hate gay people,” and happens to be black.

In my experience, plenty of black people, and plenty of non-black people, hate gay people. It’s a serious problem, and Jackson’s rhetoric absolutely contributes to it.

He’s obviously, himself, not off-the-charts smart. That should humble him more than it apparently does.

20. Bob says

I wonder if Bishop Jackson would have wanted the citizens of Little Rock to have voted on school desegregation, or the voters of Montgomery to have voted on Civil Rights. Bigots used Biblical arguments there too.

21. Carter says

History proves that the definition of a family and a family unit and what comprises the definition of family has changed SOOOOO many times.

I just finished a History of the Family since Roman times class. Basically it changes every couple hundred years.

The CATHOLIC Church used to perform a ceremony to “marry” 2 men. It was just like marriage. It could be between brothers, but there are records of unrelated men getting married too.

I find it interesting that everyone on the anti-us side always boast claims without even checking the facts. A few hundred years ago “family” meant everyone that lived on the family farm: many generations and sometimes unrelated people.

Woah. That was long. I should have saved that energy for the essay I’m doing that’s due in a few hours 😛