Drag Queens | Fashion Men | Luis Venegas | Magazines | News | Transgender

BigGayDeal.com

Candy: First 'Transversal Style' Fashion Magazine Launches

Candy

Luis Venegas, the Madrid-based editor of fashion and art publications including Fanzine 137, has launched his latest.

VenegasCalled Candy, Venegas describes the publication as the first "Transversal Style" magazine: "the first fashion magazine ever completely dedicated to celebrating transvestism, transexuality, cross dressing and androgyny, in all its manifestations."

Candy's cover model is Luke Worrall.

Writes Venegas: "Never before in history, have men and women had so many opportunities for body modification, or so many ways to change their appearance from head to toe: from the softest options like make up, to permanent transformations courtesy of the surgeons' knife. Now the 21st Century is truly underway, there's no need to justify ourselves, only the ability and need to celebrate the diversity of lifestyles and options, the freedom to choose on every level. The possibilities are as infinite as the amount of people there are in this world. CANDY is a magazine for everybody. A space for individual freedom, and a publication that pushes people to take on the persona of what they always wanted to be."

The magazine is a limited edition and 1,000 copies are available.

Check out a very cool video promo for the magazine and a shot of the cover model out of drag, AFTER THE JUMP...

CANDY 1 from Luis Venegas on Vimeo.

And here's what cover model Luke Worrall looks like when he's not in a wig:

Worrall

Comments

1. OK, covergurl still looks like a guy, in wig or not. premier cover photo should have been the always classic Amanda Lepore or Ru.

Posted by: casey | Nov 12, 2009 9:27:00 AM

2. Cover model should have be a person who has turned themself into a freakshow --- sure --- NOT.

I celebrate Amanda's freedom - and question her choice - but I do not have her endless need for attention.

As for Ru - now there is a real talent.
    But I do not think he is immature enough for the target audience.

Posted by: RJP3 | Nov 12, 2009 9:42:08 AM

3. Listening to Aaron Carter's cover of "I Want Candy" was fun. What a twink!

Posted by: Mark | Nov 12, 2009 9:52:12 AM

4. What is it with these stupid hipsters who think they're all edgy and cool by co-opting a subculture for flash and cash? There's plenty of magazines that have been published for years devoted to body art, transvestism, and transgender people that don't require rail-thin Eurotrash fashion models. The limited edition aspect caps this venture as nothing more than an insulting exploitative marketing ploy.

Posted by: Latebrosus | Nov 12, 2009 12:00:19 PM

5. Dang - why all the hate? I think it looks super fun and hot. I can't wait to snap up my copy.

Posted by: Pierre | Nov 12, 2009 12:20:35 PM

6. I'm with Pierre. Looks fun and fine. As though there's too much trans exposure these days.

Posted by: Paul R | Nov 12, 2009 2:40:02 PM

7. Finally, something for old, drunk, confused Brazilian straight men to masturbate to.

Posted by: Pee Town | Nov 12, 2009 2:44:40 PM

8. If I'm not mistaken, Luke is Kelly Osbourne's fiance.

Posted by: Terence | Nov 12, 2009 3:35:21 PM

9. Kind of seems from the video that all the models are male-to-female in nature . . . are there any girls dressing up as boys, any drag kings, transmen?

Posted by: Cand86 | Nov 12, 2009 5:01:13 PM

10. I noticed a few bio females. Very handsome.
    The queens' makeup all seemed a bit off to me.

The marketing and claims also make me suspicious. I'd rather see a great regularly produced trans based or trans inclusive periodical with a smaller distribution than hype over an unoriginal idea with "edge."

Posted by: emma | Nov 12, 2009 11:33:40 PM

11. The problem with magazines of this type is that they don't really show the REAL side of being Transgendered. All they show is the flash and how fun it is to be in the limelight. If you really want to show the real Transgendered women, why not go for the ones who have all of the wrinkles, warts and all. The real women who are older, mature and who are really women. Not some young female who only goes to the clubs to dance.

So I really dare anyone of you folks who put on these magazines, go out and look worldwide for us older an matuer women. We could really show you what being Transgendred is really about.

Posted by: Cameron Garcia | Nov 13, 2009 1:49:56 PM

12. Magazines of this type (fashion magazines) aren't designed to show the real side of anyone. It's a fashion magazine.

With that said, I certainly support there being more depictions of real transgendered people in the media. But this just looks like something light and bright and fun. It fucks with gender and puts transgender people in the spotlight, which, as someone else pointed out, doesn't exactly happen - kinda ever.

And with THAT said, ... so mad at the song choice. Lawl.

Posted by: gc | Nov 13, 2009 3:47:31 PM

13. Finally a breath of fresh air, I love it.
    What year is it again...? It's about time for representation of what is, instead of the force feeding frenzy of what should be. Bravo, I'll be there.

Posted by: Dom | Nov 14, 2009 2:06:40 PM

14. Hi,

I would love to get a copy of Candy...where in Sydney Australia carries your publications or can I order it from you direct?

:-) Jade

Posted by: Jade Wren | Nov 14, 2009 8:23:27 PM

15. Hey, such a nice color of dress, thanks for the post.

-mikee

Posted by: wholesale mma | Nov 17, 2009 2:09:35 AM

16. Dear Editorial Office,

finally online the Alberto Annibali Spring Summer 2011 Collection (www.albertoannibali.com)
    I do believe that this young Italian designer, who had previously worked with such companies as Valentino, Ferrè and Versace before making the decision to create his own label, will be interesting for you.
    For further information, please do not hesitate to contact me.
    Kind regards
    Francesco Stella
    Press & Communication
    www.albertoannibali.com
    info@albertoannibali.com
    +39 3314908847

Posted by: francesco stella | Sep 19, 2010 9:52:42 AM

17. Please please let me know when the next iiue is out put me out of my misery !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: pamela trainor | Sep 23, 2010 6:06:33 PM

18. This is a fantastic magazine that should heve been out sooner.Keep up the good work !!

Posted by: Diane | Jan 1, 2011 7:40:38 AM

19. I can't wait to actually find a copy on the stands. My favorite FtM can sure use some style tips. Any timeline for mass distribution?

Posted by: Hyperbole | Feb 9, 2011 2:54:30 PM

20. This looks amazing, and it's a great idea with the magazine! Is it for sale in Madrid ? I'm living in the Spain's capital and I would like to buy this magazine, if available.

Posted by: andorgyn.beauty | Mar 26, 2011 8:33:05 AM

21. When and Where can I get this magazine! FABULOUS!!!

Posted by: JORDAN LUXX | Jun 28, 2013 1:15:25 PM

22. Where can I purchase Candy magazine in Sydney, Australia???

Posted by: Jane | Jul 30, 2013 12:00:02 AM