Crime | News | Puerto Rico

Gay Puerto Rican Teen Decapitated, Dismembered, and Burned

Cayey

Over the weekend the brutalized body of gay teen George Steven Lopez Mercado was found by the side of a road in Puerto Rico. The police investigator suggested that he deserved what he got because of the "type of lifestyle" he was leading.

Mercado According to an iReport by Chrisopher Pagan: "On November 14 the body of a gay 19 year old was found a few miles away from the town in which he was residing in called Caguas. He was a very well known person in the gay community of Puerto Rico, and very loved. He was found on the site of an isolated road in the city of Cayey, he was partially burned, decapitated, and dismembered, both arms, both legs, and the torso. This has caused a huge reaction from the gay community here, but its a difficult situation. Never in the history of Puerto Rico has a murder been classified as a hate crime. Even though we have to follow federal mandates and laws, many of the laws in which are passed in the USA such as Obama’s new bill, do not always directly get practiced in Puerto Rico. The police agent that is handling this case said on a public televised statement that 'people who lead this type of lifestyle need to be aware that this will happen'. As If the boy murdered Jorge Steven Lopez was asking to get killed..."

Jorge Here's a report on the murder (in Spanish) from PrimeraHora.com. Said activist Pedro Julio Serrano: "It is inconceivable that the investigating officer suggests that the victim deserved his fate, like a woman deserves rape for wearing a short skirt. We demand condemnation of this investigator and demand that Superintendente Figueroa Sancha replace him with someone capable of investigating this case without prejudice." (my translation, please suggest a better one if you can).

UPDATE 1: Suspect arrested.

UPDATE 2: Suspect claims self defense, "gay panic".

Comments

1. I think that is the sickest thing I have ever heard. When I was stationed on my ship I got jumped and my ass kicked for being gay. I thought that was bad and sick but this is... There is no statement that can be made for the reaction I got. People need to mind their own fucking business and quit being such closed minded asshole. This isnt the 1800s. Deal with it fuckers!

Posted by: Curtis | Nov 19, 2009 4:15:06 PM

2. And one more thing. That dip shit investigator... Needs to take a good look in the mirror and then slam his head into it for being so stupid. NOONE DESERVES THAT IDIOT! EXCEPT PEOPLE WHO THINK THAT!

Posted by: Curtis | Nov 19, 2009 4:16:16 PM

3. Rezo para que nuestros hijos sabrán mejor.

Tan triste.

Posted by: Rob | Nov 19, 2009 8:06:59 PM

4. New Jersey Girl suggests "God Hates Fags" is representative of Christian values. It is not. The fundamental Christian value is "Love Thy Neighbour As Thyself". I can only assume Fred Phelps who uses the phrase referred to hates himself. Please don't assume that everyone who claims to be a Christian is a Christian or that everyone who refers to the Bible interprets it in the same manner. Don't blame religion for the faults and failures of humankind towards each other.

Posted by: Phil | Nov 20, 2009 11:36:26 AM

5. This has me in tears! I feel for this young boy... Justice needs to be taken here and not brushd under the rug!!! You are in our prayers Steven... TQM

Posted by: ANTONIO | Nov 20, 2009 3:26:19 PM

6. I can not beleive this story. Why can we gays live in peace? We are human and being gay should not be a hateful lifestyle. I feel that if a person does not like gays, then that person should let gays be and walk away. People should accept us gays and people should stay away from gays if they do not like gays. I am tired of gay haters killing and mistreating gays and then the haters loving God. My heart goes out to the family and may God give them comfort during this holiday season. We are queer and we are here.

Posted by: Eriberto Vargas | Nov 23, 2009 9:41:15 PM

7. Historically every mass prejudice began/begins in the church.

Posted by: Scott Hutcheson | Dec 12, 2009 8:34:11 AM

8. mis mas sinceras condelencias a la familia de la victima, y del acusado pues las 2 estan muy triste por la perdida, y trauma de los ocisos, espero que esta mala accion traiga mejoras en las cortes de Puerto Rico para la proteccion de los gays de Puerto Rico.

Posted by: jose | Feb 3, 2010 10:21:19 PM

9. yes, because this man was gay - he deserves MORE justice than if he was not. people, the police office quoted here - did not MEAN this guy deserved his fate. for many people of puerto rico, english is not their primary language - spanish is. i suspect the office simply used words that were close equivalents/representative of english counterparts. the police i have met in puerto rico were actually far more professional than their mainland america counterparts. so, let the police do their job - and go find some issues of real substance to bitch about.

Posted by: howard | Feb 18, 2010 4:34:19 AM

10. This is truly horrible, I can't believe what I just read. I am horrified... Nico

Posted by: Nicolas | Mar 31, 2010 4:48:22 PM

11. I can't believe someone would do this. It's very dissgusting and sickening. He was only 19.This person needs to pay for this.

Posted by: Marisa Mercado | Apr 26, 2010 8:24:16 AM

12. This is so disgusting,

And only two weeks ago another hate crime occurred against a transexual woman, murderred in her own home. When will this hate end in Puerto Rico? I'm embarrassed to say that I am a gay Puerto Rican woman due to the ignorance in my Island. I can't even live in my own country! I demand a protest for Gay rights, for gay support and services in all towns! not just "el area metropolitana" I will be heading to Puerto Rico in August. If you're with me and want to make this movement happen, want to mobilize the gay community so that our voices canbe heard shoot me an email...enough is enough! ( dscmdal@gmail.com)

Posted by: G.H | Apr 27, 2010 11:15:47 AM

13. This breaks my heart. I have never been to Puerto Rico but it is on my destinations. He did not deserve that. Anyone with a normal mind knows this. I still want to experience Puerto Rico for the beauty and not this sort of ignorance.

Posted by: Richard | Mar 17, 2011 10:52:14 PM

14. @New Jersey Girl,

Keep your angry, biased opinions to yourself. Die with your beliefs and let others die with theirs.

Anyway, I know this was two years ago, but since I'm just hearing (or rather, reading) about this, it's still depressing.

Posted by: Terrible Event | Jun 17, 2011 2:19:07 PM

15. This crime puts what is happening currently in Puerto Rico into perspective. Unfortunately, Puerto Rico is not a welcoming place for LGBT people and they need our support and worldwide support for the horrific murders that have taken place against LGBT citizens in the past year.

Posted by: Francis | Jun 17, 2011 2:23:32 PM

16. This is the best blog for someone who would like to know about this matter. Thanks for sharing all these important infos.

Posted by: wholesale jerseys | Sep 13, 2011 11:03:35 PM

17. This is the post which is telling us about the Gay Puerto Rican Teen Decapitated, Dismembered, and Burned. I like to tell the author to post an interesting posts like this for us. So all the best for your future.

Posted by: Online Pharmacy | Jul 18, 2012 7:17:44 AM

18. i’m positive all of you are really impressive and since for beginners like me….i managed to get towards the correct destination for a read about whatever wanted…

Posted by: Sue Crowe Ronald | Jul 28, 2012 9:43:21 AM