Joel Osteen | Joy Behar | News | Whoopi Goldberg

Pastor Joel Osteen on The View: 'Homosexuality is Not God's Best'

Osteen

Megachurch Pastor Joel Osteen, who has said on Larry King Live that he's "not knocking gays" but he doesn't think they should have marriage, brought his primped and plastic form of bigotry to The View to sell a new book, and managed to bash gays while he was at it.

Unfortunately he was pretty much given a free pass.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Well Joel, your theology in all areas is not God's best either, and neither is your orthodontic work. The man could eat corn on a cob through a picket fence.

Posted by: clint | Nov 4, 2009 6:57:38 PM

2. Derek Hartley is right...his wife is a painted whore

Posted by: d | Nov 4, 2009 7:22:14 PM

3. WHO the hell is this jerk that I should want his approval or acceptance? I'm fighting for civil equality I'm NOT fighting for acceptance. If you're fighting for acceptance you're wasting your valuable time.

Posted by: Sargon Bighorn | Nov 4, 2009 7:22:35 PM

4. What a fuckin' waste of human flesh he is. And the zombies follow like he's the next Messiah.

Posted by: Bobby | Nov 4, 2009 7:47:11 PM

5. he is os gay..But it proves my theory that women like Joy who hate men also hate gay men...

Posted by: alan brickman | Nov 4, 2009 8:03:42 PM

6. Joy should be ashamed!!! she should host a show with Wendy O williams!!

Posted by: alan brickman | Nov 4, 2009 8:05:50 PM

7. @ Alan Brickman: Where are you getting that Joy Behar hates both gay and straight men?

Anyway, the biggest shock is certainly not Joel Osteen's "kinder, gentler" homophobia; it's the lack of response from the usually intelligent and outspoken women seated next to him. HELLO?!!!

Posted by: yogchick | Nov 4, 2009 8:08:38 PM

8. "Given a free pass"? C'mon, Whoopi and Joy pushed him as much as they could civilly. You can't argue with someone with that sort of religious mentality, and they know that.

What would you have wanted? A cat fight? Because that would really help the cause the day after the election.

Posted by: Bryan | Nov 4, 2009 8:30:57 PM

9. I'm a black gay man, and I think the white homophobes are the worst of the bunch.

Posted by: Mel Smith | Nov 4, 2009 8:52:06 PM

10. ok gays... GO MILITANT! Boycott the VIEW tell your straight friends and family members to boycott the VIEW and all the VIEW movies, etc until they retract or forcibly decline in ratings to the essence of shoe microplasma dirt. Oh wait, they are already for condoning this behavior by a guest. I just wanna puke. I stopped watching the VIEW becuz I dont like bitches yelling over each other. If it weren't for this blurb I would not have known!

Posted by: markmmark | Nov 4, 2009 9:01:09 PM

11. I wonder what will happen to gay marriage in New Jersey now that Christie is governor-elect.

Posted by: NYSmike | Nov 4, 2009 9:07:48 PM

12. Pastors, preachers, priests are nothing but useless charlatans who tell lies for a living. As long as we give these frauds legitimacy, there will never be equality in America and don't get me started with the inane "but not all......." Not all Nazis killed jews or even knew about the final solution. This does not make the Nazi ideology any less evil. Just as the human altruism of certain Christian doesn't make christian ideology less sinister and disgusting.

Posted by: GOD | Nov 4, 2009 9:29:02 PM

13. If one digs just a little bit - which I know is beyond the reach of today's journalists - there's a whole lot of dirt about Joel and his sleazy family's dealings here in Texas. And there's this: is he saying God made a mistake? Blasphemy!

Posted by: niles | Nov 4, 2009 9:32:31 PM

14. “You can hear the footsteps of God when silence reigns in the mind.”

--Jonny

You're being sarcastic, right? This is hilarious. I'm going to remember this one...it's rather insulting to believers. At least it should be.

What do you expect from this money grubbing snake oil salesman? He's a huckster with a grift. He's got a permanent smile on his face while his hand's always out (sifting through your pockets). He'll say this because the illiterate barefoot congregants that pay him money want to hear it. He's schilling a product for his enrichment...and you know what, they're all the same...even the more dour stern hucksters in the episcopal and catholic churches. Just dressing up in costumes and standing near a pulpit in a overdone haunted house--reciting the same hocus pocus in a more somber tone...doesn't make you any more false--er, true. Oh sky cake, why are you so delicious?

Posted by: TANK | Nov 4, 2009 9:47:20 PM

15. Moshe Rabbeinu (hebrew for Moses our teacher) declares that the God of Abraham is Jewish and poor little pagan joel will be smitten for worshiping paganism mixed with Judaism in jeeeebus

sorry Joel.....you are a gonner because of jeeebus

Posted by: jimmyboyo | Nov 4, 2009 9:50:22 PM

16. Not God's best? Really, Joel? You're not only judging God's work -- talk about massive hubris, you don't even have the strength of your own convictions (as ridiculous and anti-Jesus Christ that they are) to give a straight answer. You come off mealy-mouth and candy-assed.

With all due respect, I think there is a special place in hell for people who make their massive fortunes off of the death and resurection of Jesus Christ. Get ready for a little judgement yourself, Mr. Olsteen.

Posted by: Bart | Nov 4, 2009 10:23:50 PM

17. Speaking of mistakes - Joel, that necktie. Hideous.

Posted by: Van | Nov 4, 2009 10:27:07 PM

18. @PERRY: i was thinking the same thing! LOVE joy - she's is the best.

Posted by: NIC | Nov 4, 2009 10:40:25 PM

19. Honestly, I don't hate this man. I pity him his short-sightedness and ignorance and I feel sorry for anyone foolish enough to follow his teachings. Superstition and ignorance go hand-in-hand. When one is raised by superstitious fanatics, one can't help but become a superstitious fanatic.

Posted by: Brian | Nov 4, 2009 11:07:23 PM

20. The guy has a PINK necktie.

If that isn't a cry for help I don't know what is.

"PLEASE HELP! I am married and making lots of $$$ fooling others and pretending to be speaking for God when all I do is collect $$$ for myself and wife (hello those houses and cars are expensive!) and yes my "wife" did slap that stewardess during our flight back to TX ... I've fallen and I can't get off"

Posted by: FunMe | Nov 4, 2009 11:35:01 PM

21. I don't think they gave him a free ride. Whoopi called him out about "God's Best." And you could also see Joy cutting right through this guy's bullshit.

Posted by: Andy | Nov 5, 2009 12:14:19 AM

22. I'm an openly gay man, and watching the show today really gave me alot to be optimistic about. I was raised catholic but after coming to terms with my sexuality, really deciding that being spiritual and making my own rules was my chosen route. I'm not christian, but I think he is one of the best things to happen to christanity, and in changing the operation status quo towards gays. If he doesn't agree with being gay, thats his choice. I don't agree with rap music but I'm not about to go out and keep someone from enjoying it if its their preference. He has his path to walk and I have mine. It's nice to know if I ever choose to, can walk into his church and not feel afraid of hatred towards me because of my lifestyle choices. Nothing wrong with having that belief. Instead of trying to banish and focus his efforts on hate, he's aimed at giving people hope and learning to respect and live with one another. We aren't ever gonna see eye to eye on all things, but its not about that, its about looking past our personal beliefs and doing something good and constructive and he opening his church in respect and dignity to openly gay people is a big step in the right direction. Baby steps everyone. Ideals and morality weren't built in a day.

Posted by: Ferny | Nov 5, 2009 1:10:50 AM

23. What upsets me about Osteen's comment is that in general I've seen Osteen as one of the more reasonable voices in mainstream Evangelicalism; yes, he heads a megachurch, but most of the time he focuses less on the fire and brimstone ridiculousness and tries to bring the flock back to the things that Christianity is supposed to be about. I guess not always... but we know where we stand, don't we?

Posted by: Jason | Nov 5, 2009 1:50:20 AM

24. "lifestyle choices," ferny? Obviously you haven't come to terms with your sexuality. It's depressing to read your post, actually, because it sheds light on the walking wounded that religious bigotry leaves behind--the real victims of toxic faith (such as osteen's), that don't heal. It's a nice example of why many religious/spiritual folks will never understand civil rights (re: disagreement with them is just preference for mint chocolate chip ice cream over vanilla, apparently...insane)

Posted by: TANK | Nov 5, 2009 1:59:14 AM

25. I am really disappointed. I have always liked Joel Osteen. His messages have always been very positive and uplifting without being judgemental and damning as it seems so many religious leaders are. Now I see him in such a different light. It kinda makes me sad.

Posted by: Nate | Nov 5, 2009 6:22:17 AM