Crime | Houston | News

Principals, Bus Driver Ignored Pleas for Help from High School Student Beaten with Metal Pipe for Being Gay

Langham1

Jayron Martin, a 16-year-old student at Langham Creek High School near Houston, was attacked by a group of students on November 12 because he's gay. Martin said he heard the boys were planning the attack and asked two principals and a bus driver for help, but was ignored.

Langham2 Martin's fears were confirmed when he was chased off his school bus and assaulted for seven minutes by a boy with a metal pipe while eight others watched. The attack was stopped by a property owner nearby who scared the gang away with a shotgun.

Said Martin, who is afraid to go back to school: "All they kept saying was, ‘We going to get you. We going to fight you,’ and all that and so when they started coming after me they were like, ‘You’re not going to be gay anymore.’ They just kept hitting me...You don’t understand, I was just running for my life and nobody was like there at all. Nobody was doing anything for me."

Martin suffered a concussion, cuts and bruises. The 16-year-old who beat him has been arrested. No other arrests have been made.

Watch the report from KHOU, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I smell a winning lawsuit. When will school districts learn?

Posted by: qjersey | Nov 19, 2009 1:20:22 PM

2. ...to follow up.. about "learning." My teenage nephew became a target in middle school for gay baiting (sorry he's adorable, but straight). My sister marched right into the principals office and flat out stated "if you don't put a stop to this now and my son is hurt in anyway I will sue the pants of this district." Guess what, the principal put a stop to it. But I doubt that is still the case.

Posted by: qjersey | Nov 19, 2009 1:22:52 PM

3. If you feel like calling the school district and giving them a piece of your mind, you can find their contact info right here:

Posted by: mister_eaves | Nov 19, 2009 1:27:28 PM

4. It always amazes me how these big mach straight boys can only attack a weak little faggot in gangs.

It reminds me of Naked Civil Servant, when Quentin Crisp tells them that they better leave him and his friends alone lest someone figure out which one of them is queer.

homophobvbia isn't hte fear of gay people. It's the fear that you yourself may be gay.

Posted by: Ben in oakland | Nov 19, 2009 1:30:47 PM

5. Please correct the headline - "pleas"

Posted by: Jon Mitchell | Nov 19, 2009 1:39:46 PM

6. I actually grew up across the street from this high school. This is the school I would have gone to if I hadn't moved to dallas. Not that I am making excuses but it is a very low end gang filled school. Our fence would be tagged everyday when we lived there. Dead cats in bags would be found in our back yard at least every couple months. So while I am not making excuses and it's completely horrifing to think what could have happens if I stayed it's just not really a surprise that it happened at that high school. Friends I kept in contact with did everything they could just to transfer to a different school or go to private school. Just helpful insite to the area.

Posted by: Stephen | Nov 19, 2009 1:43:10 PM

7. you know it always amazes me when they say something is gang related in HS. this isn't the inner city...these are a bunch of "punks" who are not afraid authority...because the authorities are afraid of them. I say do what u have to, but protect the students...and kick some fucking ass if you are administrator.
    I hope she does sue the pants off of this district. Course...this sounds like homophobia to me anyway!!

Posted by: Paul | Nov 19, 2009 1:53:17 PM

8. the principal and bus drivers should be charged

Posted by: Tony X | Nov 19, 2009 1:58:57 PM

9. I just called and spoke to the Principal's secretary and expressed my concern for the safety of gay students in high school settings and their right to get an education without fear of violence.

She seemed very receptive and asked if I'd wanted the Principal to call me back. I declined, but asked that the secretary please pass my concerns (as a member of the public and a gay student who was bullied in school in the 70's) to the Principal.

Youths need to be able to trust adults who are their to protect them.

Posted by: Skiff | Nov 19, 2009 2:01:32 PM

10. Paul, I'm curious to know what you mean by "it always amazes me when they say something is gang related in HS. this isn't the inner city..." Could you elaborate on what constitutes a "gang" and what you mean by "inner city?"

Posted by: Q | Nov 19, 2009 2:04:42 PM

11. Oh, the irony this attack was stopped by a redneck with a shotgun.

Posted by: anon | Nov 19, 2009 2:18:15 PM

12. How times have changed. When I was in school I was only subjected to verbal assaults and spitting. I guess I was lucky!

Posted by: Joe | Nov 19, 2009 2:21:38 PM

13. In today's America - when a 15-year-old can be set on fire by a group of "friends" in Florida - when a student - ANY STUDENT - contacts school employees -- those who are paid -- ARE PAID -- to look out for their safety -- about a threat - it should be taken seriously - PERIOD. Regardless of whether this school district is sued - which frankly I hope they are -- my greater hope is that the authority figures involved who IGNORED the student's pleas - are sued into bankruptcy - and that the HERO in the story - a property owner who chose to come to this boy's rescue and may well have saved his life - is properly honored.

Posted by: ricky | Nov 19, 2009 2:26:10 PM

14. I looked up their link, thanks to MISTER_EAVES post above, and Dr. Cheryl Jones is the principal. There are 7 assistant principals, 4 women and 3 men. I called the number listed, (281) 463-5400, surprise no answer.

The above clip would not play but I found it in a search.

They have put the driver on suspension but not the administrators. I could not find an email for the school, but here is the Houston School District's general email.

info@houstonisd.org.

Since the right wing says we have an agenda, lets let them know beating kids and ignoring it is one of them. Why have the two principals he talked to not been fired?

Posted by: patrick nyc | Nov 19, 2009 2:31:21 PM

15. Langham is in Cy-Fair ISD, not HISD. Sending email to info@houstonisd.org isn't going to get to Langham or anyone responsible for Langham.

Posted by: John | Nov 19, 2009 2:41:22 PM

16. Absolutely disgusting. I hope there are criminal charges that can be filed if the allegations are true; ordinarily there is no duty to assist, but there sometimes is in cases where there is some kind of custodial arrangement, and bus drivers and principals might qualify under the circumstances.

Posted by: Pender | Nov 19, 2009 2:49:54 PM

17. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the 8 other students who followed and watched equally culpable if they encouraged the beating while it took place? While there is no mention of that in the story, it seems that if they joined the other student and ran after this kid, there must have been some encouraging or shooting off at the mouth while this was taking place.

Posted by: Keith | Nov 19, 2009 3:11:46 PM

18. This story makes me sick to my stomach. I hope this family stays strong. The admins need to be FIRED and CHARGED!

Posted by: KFLO | Nov 19, 2009 3:28:04 PM

19. This is absolutely horrible. The principals and bus driver need to have something done.

Posted by: Yuki | Nov 19, 2009 3:49:16 PM

20. Sue the living SH8T out of that school district.....sue them until there is no school to open next Monday.

Posted by: Bayley | Nov 19, 2009 4:12:29 PM

21. This is not just a lawsuit waiting to happen, and not just a juvenile crime... this is a hate crime ... exactly the kind for which the new hate crimes law was created.

I demand that murderer in Puerto Rico and this attacker to be charged and prosecuted under the hate crimes law.

Posted by: Randy | Nov 19, 2009 4:25:27 PM

22. This sort of stuff is why I was forced to leave the public school system when I was in 8th Grade in Idaho, back in 1979.

Posted by: Andy Niable | Nov 19, 2009 5:09:37 PM

23. Ha ha......an 'evil' redneck with a 'evil' shotgun stopped a gay bashing! That made my day.

I just read a news story about a straight-up, law-abiding, army vet in England who found a shotgun on his land, and turned it in to the cops. The cops arrested him for 'handling' a firearm, which in and of itself is illegal in England. Prosecutors refused to dismiss the charge, and he was found guilty by a jury. Min. sentence is 5 years in prison and a substantial fine. Fucked up!

Posted by: John in Boston | Nov 19, 2009 5:21:19 PM

24. More gays need to be ready and able to defend themselves and as a community we should be able and willing to assist and defend those among us, the weak (for whatever reason) senior citizens, disabled, who can't.

It still amazes me often the very people who despise cops as 'rednecks' are the same ones who can't or won't defend themselves, and demand to know where were the cops when they were being assaulted. But if cop patrols are increased in their hood, they whine police harassment.

Don't make it your hobby to piss off the people who handle your food, money, mail, and people like cops, firemen, emt's, who everyone relies on in life-threatening situations.

Posted by: John in Boston | Nov 19, 2009 5:32:30 PM

25. info@houstonisd.org

"To Whom It May Concern:

The savage and brutal beating of young Jayron Martin is completely unacceptable. This atrocity is echoing across the United States, and the people who are responsible for the well being of students are going to be held accountable. Every single adult that was told about the harassment and threats, and did absolutely nothing, are going to be held accountable.

How you handle this indefensible hostility and violence against students in your district will either make you heroes, or the villains that it appears the employees you have in this school district are.

Not only should the bus driver be fired, but any and all faculty that had knowledge as well.

Patrick Harris"