Gay Marriage | News | Rupert Everett

Rupert Everett: 'I Would Not Advise Any Actor...to Come Out'

Every six months, it seems, actor Rupert Everett gives another interview, in which he warns of the dangers of being out in Hollywood.

It's that time again. Everett

Says Everett to The Guardian: "The fact is that you could not be, and still cannot be, a 25-year-old homosexual trying to make it in the British film business or the American film business or even the Italian film business. It just doesn't work and you're going to hit a brick wall at some point. You're going to manage to make it roll for a certain amount of time, but at the first sign of failure they'll cut you right off. And I'm sick of saying, 'Yes, it's probably my own fault.' Because I've always tried to make it work and when it stops working somewhere, I try to make it work somewhere else. But the fact of the matter is, and I don't care who disagrees, it doesn't work if you're gay...It's not that advisable to be honest. It's not very easy. And, honestly, I would not advise any actor necessarily, if he was really thinking of his career, to come out."

Things are worse, now, Everett says, than they were a few years ago. "It's worse now. A gay man can only do drag. I've been reduced to drag. The next stop is probably The Dick Emery Show for me."

Of his co-starring role with Madonna in The Next Best Thing, Everett writes: "I have never read such bad reviews in my life. It blew my new career out of the water and turned my pubic hair white overnight."

He's also still not a fan of civil partnerships or marriage: "If you want to have a marriage with some bad-tempered cow from Camden Council officiating, then you must have that, and I think it's nice that you can have it. But I liked being a poof when it was illegal, frankly; it gave me a sense of being outside."

Previously...
Rupert Everett Introduces His New Face [tr]
Rupert Everett Rips Michael Jackson: 'He Was a Freak' [tr]
Rupert Everett Wonders Why He Sits 'Unf*cked' in His Hotel Room [tr]

Comments

1. What a pant load. None of his sad-sack story comes from being gay. It comes from being a bad actor.

He'd be better off advising bad actors to avoid Hollywood. Quit the self-loathing shit, queen.

Posted by: Nathan | Nov 29, 2009 10:41:35 AM

2. What a pathetic unwell person.

If the man had talent the work would come - but who wants to see this guy do anything after becoming a tragic bitter queen.

And if he loves being on the outside ... he should move to Kansas.

Posted by: Walter | Nov 29, 2009 10:41:44 AM

3. Just realized it was 10 years ago next month when he jogged by me in South Beach -- the day the Millennium.

I remember thinking how empty, arrogant and unattractive his personal energy was at it passed by .... split second judgement turned out to be true

Posted by: Walter | Nov 29, 2009 10:45:25 AM

4. Gee, bitter much?

While he is talented, he really does think he is entitled to a career. His career didn't sink because he came out, it was due to the fact that he made one bad choice after another in the movies he agreed to appear in.

Now there are a few actors working today that probably would have a hard time--mainly the
    older ones and due to the fact that they made
    a career out of being, well, straight. The youngins (ie Efron) would be fine.
    BTW, Rupert loves being the outsider. I think that plays into this as well. If you come out, your not really part of the boys club anymore.

Posted by: Marcus | Nov 29, 2009 10:58:15 AM

5. He's such a fucking asshole...he wishes homosexuality were illegal, eh? Go to Uganda. No, really, Rupert. Go to Uganda.

Posted by: Matthew Rettenmund | Nov 29, 2009 10:58:56 AM

6. Neil Patrick Harris is doing Just Fine Rupert....he just made the RIGHT choices..plus he's multi-Talented.

Posted by: Disgusted American | Nov 29, 2009 11:11:54 AM

7. While I don't normally comment on celebrities, he felt the need to interject himself into politics. Which makes him fair game.

The man has come out - no pun intended - against same-sex marriage, adoption, anti-discrimination laws, and now homosexuality itself. I am just waiting for the "born again" declaration at this point. That's one way to revive your career it seems.

As for being an arrogant, upper class prick who likes being above the law more than a part of it, Everett probably enjoys the antiquated, Victorian idea of sailing down the Nile with a bunch of cabin boys and "getting away with it." This was, in fact, how many gay English aristocrats went about their business in the 19th century.

Posted by: John | Nov 29, 2009 11:18:44 AM

8. So he's privileged and had an extremely long stretch of handsomeness, and now he's bitter and blames being out? Let's see, without homosexuality, where would Rupert's career be: Another Country nixed, My Best Friend's Wedding nixed, and even the clunker with Madonna (which I'm sure generated a lovely paycheck) nixed. He has about 54 films to his credit, countless TV credits, two films coming up, and he complains.

It is so much more charming and magnetic when an actor like Ian McKellen talks about how coming out set him free and stopped the speculators, because they had no secret with which to threaten him.

Is he just trying to make an ugly name for himself so he can return to headlines? Did he not manage his money? He has lost my enthusiasm.

Tragic old chicken chaser (yep, his coked-up antics precede him).

Posted by: SteveDenver | Nov 29, 2009 11:21:18 AM

9. "he made one bad choice after another"

An acting coach I used to know said "British actors show up for a paycheck as their industry is so small. Americans wait around for 'art'."

Regardless, it remains to be seen what NPH career will be like after his TV ends its run.

In the meantime Rupert, when life hands you lemons, try making lemonade.

BTW, I did love St. Trinians and am looking forward to the sequel.

Posted by: qjersey | Nov 29, 2009 11:21:32 AM

10. Does anyone even CARE what this cow says?

He made a series of bad choices and it's now time to blame everyone except himself. How very Republican of him...

Posted by: Alexander | Nov 29, 2009 11:23:40 AM

11. Doug Berman's agist body facist comment is abhorant --- and not based on the reality of the wonderful inclusive gay clubs I have experienced in San Francisco, Amsterdam, Barcelona, New York, Key West, P-Town and all over New England.... clubs where all are welcomed to have fun. I assume he goes to other places that cater to childish tools.

Posted by: Walter | Nov 29, 2009 11:23:52 AM

12. BTW, DOUG BERMAN: I and my friends have almost aged out of clubbing as a habit (27–30) and it's interesting to read that you think fat 40-year-olds don't belong in clubs. We bring our fun older friends out once in a while so they can buy drinks, dance and take in all the male beauty. Why are you there? If you're lucky, you might be older one day and bitch-queens (as you are now) will say something similar.

I challenge you to make some older friends and discover what a wonderful world they live in: peers with club owners, restaurant owners, fashion store owners, gallery owners, entertainment publicists, on and on and on. Their access is quite heady and they're happy to drag along polite, friendly, well-presented younger queers who know how to converse and appreciate. I found my wonderful job through this network.

Posted by: SteveDenver | Nov 29, 2009 11:29:05 AM

13. Love or hate Rupert, his words are true.

Posted by: Jedi | Nov 29, 2009 11:30:05 AM

14. @Q JERSEY

You must be a shite acting coach, because the majority of American cinema is anything but "art." American actors will rush to eat roaches out of a toilet if they can get on-screen -- big or little.

British actors, directors, writers and film projects nabbed nigh 45% of American film awards in the past six years, but America produces six times as many films. Meanwhile, Hollywood produces 38 times as many films as France, but French films take almost 1/4 of independent cinema box office. (Variety, July 2009)

Posted by: Legible Lad | Nov 29, 2009 11:40:53 AM

15. I'm with you Matthew! Uganda, driver -- AND STEP ON IT!

A once very promising career has gone to bloody hell because he's such a fucking cunt! His co-star in "Another Country" -- Colin Firth -- has just received the greatest notices of his very distinguished career for the film version of Isherwood's "A Single Man." Could Rupert have done that part?

AS IF!!!!!

Years ago he optioned the "Ambrose" chapter of Isherwood's "Down There on a Visit." He was to star in this a clelf of infamous boytoy Denham Fouts. Tony Richardson was goign to direct. But then he picked a fight with Tony, and that was that.

IOW he has LONG been his own worst enemy.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Nov 29, 2009 11:45:02 AM

16. a few points.

1.come on, hes is talented. to be so bitchy.
    2.i can imagine that hollywood can be very unforgiving when they feel you are no longer "hot". its must be difficult to even get a reading.
    3.yes, he is bitter and conceited and i can see why he and madge got along. 2 cunts (albeit talented) blowing air up each others asses.
    4.are madonna movies really THAT bad? i mean they are not good but ive seen worse.
    5.he just needs to shut up. hes talking all this backwards nonsense about gay marriage etc. and sending us back a few steps instead of supporting the gay movement.

Posted by: sydneyrules | Nov 29, 2009 12:05:39 PM

17. Doug Berman has figured out how to stop time and pick needless fights with people who haven't. Good luck with that Doug Berman. No need to concern yourself with reaping what you've sowed.

Rupert Everett has finally figured out how to signpost his assholery with every comment he utters. He's a awful bellows. A representative of the reactionary upper class twit that they used to mass produce in England.

Posted by: elcamino | Nov 29, 2009 12:13:14 PM

18. QJERSEY:

I really think NPH is not going to have any problems after "How I met You Mother" ends. First, he's funny as hell. Second, he is playing an OVERLY straight pussy hound and the hetero's who watch this show (boosting it into a top rated position each week) love him too. And did i mention, He's funny as Hell?

NPH has done the impossible. He has connected with both sides of the aisle and alienated noone. The same definitely cannot e said for R.E _ Even most of us gays can't stand him.

The Future bodes extremely well for NPH's career. Not bad for a Skinny little kid who started off as "Doogie Howser, MD"!

Posted by: New Jersey Girl | Nov 29, 2009 12:16:08 PM

19. I don't think it's occured to him that his career troubles didn't come from his coming out, but rather because he's a lousy actor.

Posted by: bunker | Nov 29, 2009 12:16:11 PM

20. I'm sure Sir John Gielgud and Ian McKellen would agree; you can't have any sort of longevity in this industry if you are openly gay. What am I saying, they already have. maybe it is time that Rupert accepted his only limitation is his acting skills. If he were more aggressive in pursuing a variety of roles in a variety of genre's he could learn from the experience and overcome those limitations instead of making excuses and worse yet, discouraging a younger generation of actors from living their lives openly, and still attaining their full potential. Shame on you Rupert.

Posted by: George McGinnis | Nov 29, 2009 12:18:01 PM

21. I've been an out actor since 1979. I have enjoyed sufficient employment since to earn a comfortable living. I probably have been denied some work because of being out but I don't regret it for a minute.
    I don't have the fame that prompts a major newspaper to ask my thoughts about the compatibility of acting and homosexuality but I do have two things that Rupert seems to lack: self respect and happiness (a great source of which is a husband who has loved me and stood by me for over 15 years). I think I made the right choice and would advise any gay actor to do the same.

Posted by: Jeffrey | Nov 29, 2009 12:20:54 PM

22. And I agree. Don't come out if you want a real career. This guy could have been bond.

Posted by: TANK | Nov 29, 2009 12:31:52 PM

23. I think STEVEDENVER said it best in his post. Everett is a sad and angry actor whose talents far exceeded him.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Nov 29, 2009 12:38:24 PM

24. Poor Rupert One-Note...fixated on the hell of Once Having Been Hot. He's getting dreadfully tiresome, and in a way that shows increasing signs of panic. Not terribly attractive, really.

He's like one of the leading ladies of the studio era - vaguely second-tier, Virginia Bruce, say, or Claire Trevor - horrified that suddenly they'e only getting offered character or mother parts. Except that those ladies tended to manage their careers better...

Posted by: Muscato | Nov 29, 2009 12:39:27 PM

25. John Gielgud, as good an actor as he was, never denied being gay, but was extremely discreet about it until he was busted by the pigs before the wolfenden committee's report and the subsequent sexual offences act of '67. Further, you can't compare stage actors like gielgud and mckellen (though undeniably great--gielgud in particular) to what rupert everett clearly could have been if he remained closeted--an A-list leading man. McKellen wasn't in mainstream film until he was old (and thus never a sex symbol leading man), and did theater work for a good deal of his career. Further, gielgud's talent was so obviously superior to mainstream actors that his career withstood it. These are exceptions to the rule.

Posted by: TANK | Nov 29, 2009 12:44:50 PM