Adam Lambert | Music | News

Watch: Adam Lambert Performs Mock Fellatio at the AMAs

Lambert

Adam Lambert set out to shock at the American Music Awards last night with a performance that was more "Let's Give 'Em Something to Talk About" than "For Your Entertainment", keeping the cameramen on their toes while bouncing between dancers and band members to perform a mock fellatio on the former, and a spit-swapping exercise on the latter. Lambert's pitchy voice certainly played second fiddle to the stunts.

Lambert told CNN the man-on-man kiss happened "in the moment".

Said Lambert: "Part of what I love about being a live performer is that sometimes you just are in the moment and sometimes things just happen...Adrenaline is a crazy, crazy, crazy feeling. Some of the things I love most about performing is when you're up there and all of the sudden you just have these feelings, this rush that comes over you...I do feel like there's a bit of a double standard in the entertainment community, on television, on radio. I feel like women performers have been pushing the envelope, especially, for the past 20 years. And all of the sudden a male does it and everybody goes 'Oh, we can't show that on TV.' For me, that's a form of discrimination and a double standard. And that's too bad."

Watch the performance and CNN interview, AFTER THE JUMP...

Lambert2

Comments

1. ...but it's OK if Britney Spears sticks her tongue down Madonna's throat on prime time. I see.

Posted by: darian Zam | Nov 23, 2009 7:08:20 AM

2. I don't give a damn about the kiss. However, the performance was an epic fail of ego an hubris. It was terrible, and while I realize there were sound problems, he went off key more than once. Gaga didn't. Kelly Clarkson didn't.

Way to introduce yourself a solo artist, Adam. See you on broadway!

Posted by: Nick | Nov 23, 2009 7:20:04 AM

3. All That Jazz's "Take Off With Us" redux.
    Paula Abdul's "Cold Hearted" 2.0.

Posted by: Cristián | Nov 23, 2009 7:20:21 AM

4. His vocals were a bit off tonight, but his performance overall was great.

He pushed the envelope.

That said, I think any overt sexual stuff, gay or straight, on stage on a show that kids are probably watching should be kept to a minimum.

The kiss was fine for anyone to see, adult or kid, but the simulated fellatio is just gonna give the other side (I'm talking to you, Fox "News,") something to bash us about now.

Posted by: David C. in Chelsea, MA | Nov 23, 2009 7:26:32 AM

5. I am SO bored with him already. Are his 15 minutes up yet? If he can't be proud to be on the OUT 100 then he has a serious ego problem. Over her.

Posted by: Christian | Nov 23, 2009 7:28:48 AM

6. Something was off about his performance, but I was entertained. As for the shock value...I could believe how much "pussy thrusting" there was in all the previous performances. So if anyone is shocked or appalled, it is about his sexuality.

Posted by: qjersey | Nov 23, 2009 7:31:48 AM

7. I like Adam but this performance was horrible. The music and his voice were bad and above all, he tried WAY too hard to shock. It was all rehearsed (and rehearsed badly), he was not "in the moment" on anything except when he fell and rolled.

Posted by: Mike | Nov 23, 2009 7:38:01 AM

8. And his hair looked like the Heat Miser

(couldn't resist)

Posted by: Nick | Nov 23, 2009 7:44:35 AM

9. That girl's a class act.

Posted by: Chris In MN | Nov 23, 2009 7:51:04 AM

10. I haven't been this "shocked" since the Doors and Jim Morrison forty years ago on stage in Miami. But that was man on man action.

If I'd known ahead of time I might have watched the award show.

Posted by: jesse | Nov 23, 2009 8:02:26 AM

11. Somebody's been watching Showgirls...

Posted by: Jim | Nov 23, 2009 8:10:30 AM

12. Yawn. You mean that blond thing pretending to play keyboard was a man?

Posted by: wehotom | Nov 23, 2009 8:14:46 AM

13. I'm sure that screeching could drive Osama Bin-Laden out of the mountains in Pakistan.

Posted by: Dan | Nov 23, 2009 8:16:50 AM

14. Wow. I'm so disappointed. His vocals were a mess and he seemed a bit self-indulgent. Did not like it at all. He can do so much better.

Posted by: Rob | Nov 23, 2009 8:19:59 AM

15. He's managed to become a caricature of himself even before he's begun -- an astounding feat. Absolutely horrific performance. And his voice is just ugly from top to bottom now. I liked him on Idol. This is just tragic though. He has amateur written all over him.

UGH!

Shocking it was not, tasteless and bad, yes.

Then again, Madonna did the same thing in 1985 with "Like a Virgin." I thought she was history but there's no accounting for the taste of the American public.

Posted by: jondavwal | Nov 23, 2009 8:23:57 AM

16. He's such a boring, predictable phony. It's all hype, all utterly fabricated and calculated. When this "performance" fails to generate enough buzz, we can expect an oh-so-scandalous sex tape (probably with another guy AND a girl) to be anonymously leaked by his PR team.

Posted by: Donovan | Nov 23, 2009 8:30:06 AM

17. I was impressed at how he apparently continued singing with his tongue down his keyboardist's throat. Was there a microphone in there?

Posted by: crispy | Nov 23, 2009 8:35:10 AM

18. Good for Adam! Keep pushing the envelope.

It's not shocking for most queers, but what Adam is doing is important (on some political level). There is a double standard in entertainment and this he is not putting up with it. Nor should he.

Posted by: Daniel Baylis | Nov 23, 2009 8:40:33 AM

19. Terrible performer, lame controversy

Posted by: mxcpl1 | Nov 23, 2009 9:20:48 AM

20. Look on the bright side, it's an awesome performance if you put it on Mute.

Posted by: Aaron | Nov 23, 2009 9:39:31 AM

21. Why won't he just go away!

Posted by: AERES | Nov 23, 2009 9:43:59 AM

22. I'd be SO turned on by this performance if he actually had the talent (and looks) to back it up.

It would have been a great show if Adam was doing this AFTER he was an established artist - you know, something to give his career a spark after a few years. But when you're essentially a "newbie" in the game, this is NOT the way you want to launch your singing career.

Posted by: Ryan | Nov 23, 2009 9:44:32 AM

23. Scrumptious!

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Nov 23, 2009 9:54:55 AM

24. Another screeching ya-ya singer from American Idol. Never underestimate the power of American white trash with cell phones.

Posted by: ggreen | Nov 23, 2009 10:12:52 AM

25. His performance was tacky, to say the least. I know a lot of people are talking about double-standards and how groundbreaking his performance was but to me he just made us look bad. I know I shouldn't generalize because not all of us go around wearing pounds of makeup but this is who we have representing us right now. All eyes are on him and instead of trying to shock everyone he should focus on delivering a positive message and use his celebrity to represent us in a positive way. He got to #2 on Idol, he has talent. The talent should speak for itself. He shouldn't have to degrade himself just to get people talking.

Posted by: David in PHX | Nov 23, 2009 10:24:08 AM